Hip Hop '11

luka

everytime i hear their music i think of
these lot. and i almost liked these lot but not quite.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
everytime i hear their music i think of
these lot. and i almost liked these lot but not quite.

Interesting comparison, I can definitely hear affinities. I like the beat on this one the way the beat and bass are broken up definitely reminds me of M.Attrak... The MCing seems more deliberately abstract/experimental, and the beats seem less abstract/experimental.

Like that Meek Mill tune you posted too, I stopped listening to him cos his voice gets on my nerves a bit but he does pick good beats.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
wyZHj.jpg

V9wOn.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?afw324h4cjqxqsb

BareBones

wheezy
those complex lists are well good. really liked that top 50 west coast rap songs one they did too. corpsey you should do a list of the most essential recent bits, a la tim's ones in the funky thread. go on. i need it cos i get overawed by the volume of stuff to check out and end up listening to bits of everything rather than all of something. especially cos i'm a relative dunce when it comes to hip hop, but it's really the only thing that excites me these days. i need guidance!

luka

the west coast underground has always had a good proportion of straight up hippies. acid, mushroom and orange juice. i actually brought that mystik journeymen album at the time although i didn;t listen to it much.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Interesting comparison, I can definitely hear affinities. I like the beat on this one the way the beat and bass are broken up definitely reminds me of M.Attrak... The MCing seems more deliberately abstract/experimental, and the beats seem less abstract/experimental.

I really like the track 'Black Sands' by the Mystic Journeymen - I still play it alot - but I didn't think they did anything that good again, unfortunately.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zyvlng5q0Jc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I like Clipse's emotionless delivery but I just find it boring when road rap MCs do the same thing. Ho hum

luka

sloane i was looking for the beats and lyrics thing as it goes. it was what made me get into them, them and aceyalone actually. they are really good compilations. i was playing the one with del, casual and xhibit yestereday.

luka

that max b sound good. im not a fanboy but im gonna listen to that tho... first one i like a lot that you put there

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
sloane i was looking for the beats and lyrics thing as it goes. it was what made me get into them, them and aceyalone actually. they are really good compilations. i was playing the one with del, casual and xhibit yestereday.

I think you probably turned me onto them in the first place luka! I definitely heard about them off here, god, ages ago.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm a complete Max B fanboy now lol Thank-you Slackkk. He's an accquired taste I suppose and has made some crap but now I'm into him I'm amazed by how much of his stuff I like. I find a lot of his tunes worm their way into my head so that after the first listen I'm into the tune but not that much, and then by the third listen I'm singing along converted.

As for making a tim f style list, I don't think I'm qualified. Hip-Hop is just so active and huge a genre, its impossible to listen to everything and remember I'm catching up on years and years of stuff after writing the genre off in the early noughties (I was one of those semi-backpacking 'real hip-hop' types, but I admitted I had a problem and now Waka Flocka Flame is my guiding light. I looked to my side and saw Master P's footsteps in the sand - he had been there all along. Especially as I remember getting into hip-hop in 1997ish and loving all the No Limit stuff, before the underground pretensions kicked in), which is a daunting task.

Hip-Hop also consumes a lot of internet time for me because the world around it is so interesting and funny - hip-hop forums are full of idiots but are also very entertaining. And there's this weird tribalism to it where people pick their favourite rappers and spend their whole lives slating the enemies of those rappers. 'Nas Lost' and 'Jay-Z lost' ALL THE TIME.

I'll come up with a list of tunes/albums/mixtapes I've liked since getting back into the genre since last year (from last/this year), will probably be a selection stolen off sites like Cocaine Blunts/Realniggatumblr/Martorialist etc. but I suppose you have to find stuff somewhere.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

haven't listened to the rest of the tape yet but this was recommended by someone on Twitter. 'Freeze Me' was one of my favourite 2010 rap tunes without a doubt.

luka

theres not enough hours in the day to keep up with hiphop. certainly not if you are in full time employment plus have other distractions like relationships and friends and stuff. even just trying to keep up with say, curren$y is almost a full time occupation. like for example, this
is quite good and i never even heard of them before. its not gonna changee your life but i looked at the 1xtra playlists the other day just out of curiousity, to see what is being fd to uk as contemporary hiphop, westwood and semtex and them, and everything they play is shit. thats odd to me. does anyone know of a radio show which is consistently good that you can stream like de ja shows?