Adam Curtis

luka

That Tribune piece is decent actually. It's just a sketch, more like a dissensus post than an essay, but it's correct, and that's the main thing. Also mentions Pynchon.

RWY

The new series is great, I like how it’s broken up into episodes, a return to form compared to HyperNormalisation which felt like an attempt to shoehorn everything that was going on at that moment in time into a single film. Also, anyone who manages to generate itchy noses and uncontrollable urges to fire off 70 tweet threads with themselves as the target in the ranks of the hot and bothered true believers is doing something correct.

Last edited:

luka

Internet celebrity Kantbot
is drawing up the kind of reading list you'd have to take on if you wanted a sounder grounding in all this but let's be realistic, we don't care and we can't be fucked. Nazis are controlling us with computers is the level of understanding we naturally max out at, and that's ok.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's absolutely wild how many people think the Nazis were soulless technocrats, as opposed to deeply romantic, New Age mystics.

Now watch me and luka trade laughter emojis!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We're talking about a regime that believed in the literal reality of Atlantis, practiced biodynamic agriculture and used astrology and dowsing to try and predict the outcome of naval battles. Himmler, the second most powerful man in the Reich, believed himself the reincarnation of a 10-century Saxon duke.

It was certainly incredibly bureaucratic, but anyone who's ever had to deal with bureaucracy knows that it's seldom rational and never efficient.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mean, when you say:
The Nazis are controlling us with computers basically.
I wonder if you've missed the whole point of the episode, which is that by the 70s, nobody was in charge, because by that time economists had realized that world markets, like the weather, were far too complex for anyone to predict their behaviour, much less direct them. And that this is when neoliberalism became the dominant form of capitalism in the West, because it was assumed that the best things governments could do was relinquish control and "let the market regulate itself".

Which couldn't be further removed from the state-capitalist command economy that actually operated in Nazi Germany.

luka

Tea, you have 5 routines and I've heard them all several times, I don't need a recap.

version

You're onto something here and it's the way the middlebrow, the bovine herd, all frantically rush to distance themselves from something they previously loved once they detect that change in the wind. They pick it up, the signal for the herd to change direction, and they all change direction. The subhumans, the dilettantes, the lower types.
And once enough of them do, some of them will start to champion it again to distance themselves from the herd and the process will start again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tea, you have 5 routines and I've heard them all several times, I don't need a recap.
Yeah, I call this one "Actually watching the show/reading the article and having some knowledge of the background material, instead of just assuming it backs up whatever I already thought."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm reminded of the time a couple of weeks ago when you decided that an article saying "there was a conspiracy to prevent the election from being rigged" actually said "there was a conspiracy to rig the election."