Jackin' / Electroline

datwun

New TG TZ and LOZ is a fucking BANGER. BANG.
So tracky is actually does remind me of the Chicago jackin' stuff
This is why I love this stufff.

Insta-classic? Tune of the year?
Up there with Hybrid Theory's remix of Skank

Shorterz - Wot U Do

Tom Garnet + Loz - Trouble

Last edited:

datwun

wow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thought i'd got fully bored with jackin, but this is a fantastic reminder of how good it can be.

XXXactly!
Regardless of all the questions of novelty and innovation and all the critical stuff, jackin just keeps on throwing up so many bangers.

New darkside danger from Tom Shorterz and Lorenzo:
It's got a nice mechanical techy thing going on.
Same bouncy electro bass as that iLL Phil & Loz Down Town tune

And something a bit different from Brent Kilner
Well different /for/ Brent Kilner.
"Went all experimental with this one with both deep and tech house inspirations."
Definitely a very jackin take on 'deep-tech' though.
Love when the drums get all garagey for the build and 2nd drop.
+ Signed already! "Got to be a new record. Getting a tune signed after 14 mins of uploading it!

Anyone else feeling this one too? Nigurr - Shake Dat
http://www.bigtunesmp3.co.uk/tunes/shake-dat-by-nigurr/#4
Played this one out and it got a /really/ good reaction. Obviously overly stupid vocals, but they work really well, especially as the beat is nice and dark to balance it out.

Similar story with this one, seriously evil bassline, big stupid hip hop vocal. Love it obviously:
http://www.bigtunesmp3.co.uk/tunes/book-worm-by-jack-hifive-gardner/#5
"Yo yo, light hearted youngster who likes to rave and spin beats, simple as!"

Some Gangsta Shit from Neeko/Nick Hannam
http://www.bigtunesmp3.co.uk/tunes/gangsta-shit-bigtunes-exclusive-by-sweet-beat-neeko/#

Last edited:

datwun

You pay him £200, book some studio time with him a few months in advance, and then he bashes a track out in a few hours. It's why I've found he's quite generous and forthcoming with promos, whereas the people he engineers for aren't...

wise

bare BARE BONES
if i wasnt so broke id be quite tempted to do that, just to see him at work, bet youd learn a lot.
its pretty cheap

datwun

Yeah, when you consider the sales (any track with Lorenzo in the title is near certain to make up the sales on bigtunes, and Loz doesn't take a cut) + when you see how it gets DJs with practically no production skills of their own big hits which gets them bookings across the north and midlands, it makes a lot of sense from their perspective. For Loz it's £200 for a few hours work!

Chris Gresswell's £150 and Vee O's £50, for anyone dying for a bigtunes top 40 smash

wise

bare BARE BONES
£50!! for a tune?
wow you'd make more money doing a bog standard job.
I really like Vee O, he's got great beats

Tim Reaper

green bay crew.
Yeah, when you consider the sales (any track with Lorenzo in the title is near certain to make up the sales on bigtunes, and Loz doesn't take a cut) + when you see how it gets DJs with practically no production skills of their own big hits which gets them bookings across the north and midlands, it makes a lot of sense from their perspective. For Loz it's £200 for a few hours work!

Chris Gresswell's £150 and Vee O's £50, for anyone dying for a bigtunes top 40 smash
Damn, that's quite interesting actually, nice one for clearing it up

NATO

Yeah second that. So I'm wondering if Lorenzo is basically single-handedly making these tunes or would it depend on who's in the studio with him?

Benny Bunter

On a tangent but you should all read this fascinating interview with Pete Parsons, hardcore & jungle-era studio engineer, its very insightful. I always kind of imagine Lorenzo as being a modern version of this type of studio engineer/producer - with various people bringing in samples and ideas for tracks, in varying states of completion, that he would then work to turn in a finished tune. Things have obviously changed a lot since then, but I do think this collaborative method has been one of Jackin's strengths.

http://blogtotheoldskool.com/?p=627
http://blogtotheoldskool.com/?p=707

I'd wager most of the names in Jackin started out DJing, so they might have great ideas for tracks that would work in their sets, but maybe not the production skills to execute them. And this is where seasoned producers, studio owners and vibe-channelers like Lorenzo come in.

All pretty obvious stuff though really

Tim Reaper

green bay crew.
On a tangent but you should all read this fascinating interview with Pete Parsons, hardcore & jungle-era studio engineer, its very insightful. I always kind of imagine Lorenzo as being a modern version of this type of studio engineer/producer - with various people bringing in samples and ideas for tracks, in varying states of completion, that he would then work to turn in a finished tune. Things have obviously changed a lot since then, but I do think this collaborative method has been one of Jackin's strengths.

http://blogtotheoldskool.com/?p=627
http://blogtotheoldskool.com/?p=707

I'd wager most of the names in Jackin started out DJing, so they might have great ideas for tracks that would work in their sets, but maybe not the production skills to execute them. And this is where seasoned producers, studio owners and vibe-channelers like Lorenzo come in.

All pretty obvious stuff though really
Thing is though, nowadays, I don't really see as much of a need for an engineer. For example, Voyager was engineering bitd where you needed to have an expert knowledge of a wide range of hardware to get tracks done, compared to now where the entry barrier of learning to produce is a lot lower.

Also, I think there was a bit of a different motive when approaching an engineer back then (I have an idea for a tune with these samples, but I don't own a studio/know how to work kit) as opposed to now (I want to have exclusive tunes/writing credits to get gigs off the back of). But I can't really say much, everyone has their motives for doing what they do.

datwun

What I think's interesting about the Lorenzo phenomena is that it really proves what a lot of people say about dance music today wrong. People say that with Logic and that, anyone can make really high quality sounding tracks, but it's not true. There's a richness and fullness to Lorenzo's basslines, a bump and flex to his drums, and actually a huge variety in his soundscape + progression throughout his songs, new elements coming in all the time.

Compare this to someone like Vee O for example. I really like a lot of his tracks, and I think he's a solid producer, but there's something very cheap sounding about them, something missing, even though I bet the equipment he's using isn't miles off from Lorenzo.

I would say that compared to a year ago though there are a lot more great jackin producers. While before you maybe only had Nick Hannam, Burkie (and DJ Pantha? who's now unfortunately moved more onto a shuffle flex - unfortunate because his jackin was sick) in that second tier of consistently sick jackin producers who aren't produced by Lorenzo (I thought Tom Shorterz was one of them, but it turns out he is engineered by Loz but just doesn't put it in the track titles, cheeky!)

I'd now add Chris Gresswell and Paul Lawrence to that second tier, both are fully sick producers and make tracks across lots of different style. Got that Lorenzo thing where their tracks are bursting with ideas too.

You've got producers like Brent Kilner and Aggz who make total bangers, loads of great ideas, but their production's still pretty ghetto, massively overcompressed.

And just since January you've had Low Steppa coming up, who churns out big tunes, though is less devours than some of the other producers - it's all that mix of warpy/wobbly bass with garagey organs and skippy drums - which is still obviously a great idea as formulas go. And on a similar tip, again just since the new year you've got Hybrid Theory, who haven't made as many tracks but every single one's been 100% on point, and deserve some kind of special mention just for Skanks.

Lorenzo is still obviously in a league of his own, but it's nice that there's more activity going on without him now.