Careers, Jobs and stuff

DannyL

Wild Horses
And to take this thread even more wildly off-topic, I wonder how this total acquiesence before captialist logic would look to a young person in Eygpt today? Or Latin America? Seems even bloody weirder bearing in mind the system just blew up - causing the conditions we are talking about in the first place.

I keep thinking of historical consciousness here - the idea that there "we" once thought differently about capitalism is very interesting in this regard.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"dude, the country is still crying out for maths teachers, and you still get the max grant for training and £5k bonus when you finish your first year. 2 years for £36k (some taxed but not all of it) is decent money and you've got a trade at the end of it which i reckon would be respected.
you have to like kids though and i won't lie it is bloody hard work. but at the end of 4ish years since i made that decision i don't regret it and it is a lot easier now."
I actually applied last year but was rejected on the grounds of lack of experience. I'm just on the verge of sorting out some (unpaid) teaching stuff at the moment as a precursor of applying again next year.

martin

----
Corporate newspeak is basically a manifestation of cultural capital that's particularly close to Stephanie Thornton's idea of subcultural capital but outside the context of youth culture, isn't it? It's showing off that you're a Serious Business Person and spend enough time talking to other Serious Business People that you can convincingly speak their language. Demonstrating linguistically that you're at home in this culture and have (presumably) internalized its other values and practices as well.

Oh totally, if you can drop 'synergy' into a sentence regarding anything from redesign to sacking the receptionist, you clearly know your stuff and are to be trusted with the next task...which is why I've never worked anywhere that hasn't had people going down the pub after work, singling out highly paid bullshitters in the departments and asking "How the hell does s/he get away with it??' The answer's that they're just better at the lingo - which obviously causes real frustrations for anyone who can't understand why they're paid half as much for doing work that actually requires some degree of concentration. And yet I've known people who were actually very good at their jobs who turned into pathetic idiots months in to their promotions to managerial level, and actually became unfit to resume their previous positions, let alone handle their new roles.

I was actually given managerial training (mandatory) in my last place, a series of (expensive) one-on-one training sessions with this guy. In the first session, I told him that I actually wasn't interested in management as I prefer the hands-on side of the role - it's what I went into it for and pretty much one of the things I enjoyed most. I knew straight away I'd 'messed up' and that a serious issue could arise from me being honest. Come the 2nd session, it was a 'given' that I was interested in learning more about managerial training. Subsequently, I just listened to whatever he said and nodded, came away with a tick in the box, a thumbs-up and more confusion over what managers actually do than ever before.

Business seems to have been co-opting subcultural elements for a while - the idea that if you're young, crazy, looking for thrills, hoping to expand your mind, express YOUR uniqueness, take no shit from anyone, work when you goddamn like...well, you'd obviously want to intern at Microsoft, no?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It might also be worth seeing if there is a parallel process with hip hop and other music here? I.e. it becomes self-consciously about bling and being a successful corporate businessman at about this time as well?

It would be kind of amazing, in a simultaneously-appalling sort of way, if someone made an entire rap album with all the lyrics based on faddy business lingo, don't you think? Taking the convergence of the blinging thug life and the corporate music industry to a logical extreme. I like the idea of Raekwon 'touching "base"' with his business partners...

DannyL

Wild Horses
It would be kind of amazing, in a simultaneously-appalling sort of way, if someone made an entire rap album with all the lyrics based on faddy business lingo, don't you think? Taking the convergence of the blinging thug life and the corporate music industry to a logical extreme. I like the idea of Raekwon 'touching "base"' with his business partners...

Last verse.... this song is SO HARD

Yo, I'm all about business and enterprisin'
Advisin' financial advisors on franchisin' the wider than horizons
Divisin' ideas with masterminders
Movin' on a stash of diamonds
First we get the cash, then we laugh like mynahs
Don't get me wrong I'm a funny bastard
But when it come to money, son, I'm not the one to laugh with
I'm after for what cash can bring me brothers
Me and my demon lovers blast and laugh at hyenas
Back to Ringling Brothers believe them others
You's the best, yet, and still
I'm investin' mils on a hunch over lunch
Puffin' on a Chesterfield, who wants to test
The real scandalous
I'm at the Sands in Los Angeles
Plannin' hits with an ananymous philanthropist
Spanish kids, close to God, like evangelists
Choppin' niggas up and makin' sandwiches.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I thik Berlin would be interesting to bring into this discussion, cos in many ways it has recently represented the kind of 'dropping out' ideals mentioned here (free stuff, cheap accommodation, squatting culture etc etc), which is currently being attacked by the government so I understand it, as more middle class people move to berlin from the rest of Germany, as more corporates establish bases there.

don_quixote

Trent End
I actually applied last year but was rejected on the grounds of lack of experience. I'm just on the verge of sorting out some (unpaid) teaching stuff at the moment as a precursor of applying again next year.

do some stuff at the end of this term, make a late application in august and you could be going by september.

the amount of pe teachers they train whilst maths departments remain understaffed is appalling.

slowtrain

I think it can get quite wearing after a while, but not having a job after being a student was great for a bit. I managed it for a while and still have cheap tastes because of it I guess.

But then I ended up with a girlfriend who worked, which complicated things. And the bureaucracy of being a benefits claimant wore me down. Things like travel become very hard as well.

Also before you get to retirement age you might to have kids. I know people who have families and are on benefits and it can be done but there is still the issue of classroom snobbery, not being able to give them the same standard of living as some of their mates etc. Being the "gippo" kid in the school isn't much fun.

I think all the pointers show that life will get much harder for people on benefits and low incomes over the next decade.

Yeah - well that's sort of how I know about it. I mean, my parents were both on benefits when I was being brought up and while they are OK now, they've both had to go back into study in order to try get work in that world so they can actually have a comfortable standard of living. (I mean, my dad still has flatmates)

I mean, I'm not sure what benefits are like in the UK, but here in NZ they haven't changed since the early 80's. You get about $200 a week... My one room in a 4-bdrm flat here in Wellington is $160...

As for the kids, I don't really ever remember much being bad - but looking back on it, all of my best friends parents were on benefits too, haha. I never had any problems until I got a private-school girlfriend, but I was like 16 then, so didn't really GAF at that point. It was mostly just stuff of the "didn't you just get those shoes last week? what do you mean you need a new pair already?" variety.

gumdrops

im going through a bit of a careers dilemma at the moment. had to stop doing what i was doing before as the money just became incredibly dire and a waste of time and my last proper job i didnt work out how i wanted it to so ive not been sure what to do now. done various on-off jobs since but nothing permanent and a lot of it i wouldnt have wanted to stick at anyway. recently done a course in something but again am worried how i will make money doing it. i feel the last 2 years or so have been quite poor in terms of momentum and though im not in a rut as such, im not really moving forward properly either. i should do a course to improve in what i wanna do rather than hope to just pick it up myself really but i feel like i need to be earning money. recently had an interview for a place that could be useful (though not sure how useful) but it was all for free, not even travel paid, so i couldnt be arsed. the whole dilemma is actually weighing on my mind a lot of the time i think which is stopping me from really doing everything i need to. would be nice if i could just get a half decent office job doing something vaguely interesting or something boring in an interesting company at least. i just need some bloody money. i considered teaching and had some pgce interviews though im not 100% sure its what i wanna do and i need to get more experience than i have if i do. i should prob just stop thinking about stuff and get on with it really.

Last edited:

gumdrops

I keep thinking of historical consciousness here - the idea that there "we" once thought differently about capitalism is very interesting in this regard.

thats what was good about communism.
and in a way, also what is good about some of what terrorists say about the west (though not everything, obv).
it held up a mirror to the west's accepted ways of living.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Resurrecting this thread, as I'm looking for work at the moment and am overcome with revulsion for the whole process. Apart from the obvious odious need to 'sell oneself' repeatedly, the complete hypocrisy in employers asking for qualities that they fail to display themselves (e.g. 'good communication skills') is getting on my fucking nerves.

Any stories of fellow misery/ways to deal with the psychic burden of late capitalism, where if one is not a work-drone one finds oneself at a considerable disadvantage, will be more than welcome...

rubberdingyrapids

am looking and also not looking for extra work right now... seems a bit overwhelming to be honest. i think i might start properly looking in january.

you

Resurrecting this thread, as I'm looking for work at the moment and am overcome with revulsion for the whole process. Apart from the obvious odious need to 'sell oneself' repeatedly, the complete hypocrisy in employers asking for qualities that they fail to display themselves (e.g. 'good communication skills') is getting on my fucking nerves.

Any stories of fellow misery/ways to deal with the psychic burden of late capitalism, where if one is not a work-drone one finds oneself at a considerable disadvantage, will be more than welcome...

To be honest, I've been increasingly cold towards work. Because all the jobs I have are essentially work that can be automated. So I make sure my coldness autonomises me from notions of loyalty, extra mile, team, family, career, socializing - every hour is a case of getting by so I get paid. People actually learn to see that and just let you be.

I need to get a job at the moment - it is hard. You just have to perform the absurdities so you can perform absurdities and get paid. I remember applying for a job that required a high attention to detail and good written and verbal skills. They wanted to interview me, then after a 2 week silence they came back and apologised explaining they needed the candidate to be a fluent mandarin speaker. Hohoho - they really do need someone, anyone, with even just a low to moderate attention to detail.