wektor

NYC club culture is definitely exporting an influence of sorts again for the first time in a long time. A lot more happening now beyond like, the MAW generation keeping the flame or whatever it was for two decades and new American DJs are travelling again, when I don't think that demand had been there for years. Handful of clubs becoming well know destinations internationally like it had always been but the big change now is I don't think you can point to a sound that is distinctly New York as you could easily throughout the 80s & 80s
is the sound drill?

shakahislop

there is also about two and a half hours of good interview with the nowadays lads on this podcast, which is basically people who know what they're talking about going on about what music is like in nyc right now and how to set up a club without a trust fund.

shakahislop

one interesting thing from that interview is that they talk about how basically everyone running the main clubs in brooklyn now have come out of the DIY thing ten years ago. it sounds like what's going on is a formalization of the informal.

shakahislop

there is a weird amount of jungle and d&b around right now. some wrecked 21 year old who kept falling asleep and getting woken up by the staff, who claimed to have been out since thursday (this was on sunday) was telling me how much he loves d&b

shakahislop

I'm out of town but Dweller is happening this week. It's a relatively new thing, set up by someone from I think Hackney surprisingly, and this week they have somehow managed to organzie themselves so that all of the good brooklyn clubs are putting on events for the festival over the week. on Friday it's quite amazing, they're running Dweller events in literally all of good clubs simultaneously. Pretty controversial to do that and then put out the message above. God knows how exactly it means I should act thoug. not that I need to worry about it coz I'm not there. Probably would have shown up to Coki at Nowadays if I was, digital mystikz were shit when I saw them but would have liked to see coki do hopefully a non-wobble set on the sweet nowadays system