0bleak

Something amusing at the same party was a woman _very_ aggressively slamming into me in the area where some of us were dancing as I guess some form of flirting? I mean, we're talking about almost taking running starts and using their hands to make the pushes even harder!
I don't know... but, I was thinking about how much of a shitstorm there would have been if I had been very aggressively slamming into people, or even just continuously bumping into dancers in a somewhat less aggressive manner.

wektor

The drift is that the territory is for this event under the control of some other tribe, and the vagueness of the warning is meant to convey how it feels to be an outsider in that situation i.e. one is aware that there are rules but not quite what the rules are exactly. Maybe this is a clever way to show the majority how minorities feel or maybe it's a clever way to tell minorities how they should be feeling during the 360 non-festival days, and that the dynamic is to be accepted in both cases.
now you sound like you would fit just right into the NYC world @sus I can see the next crumps blogpost being about biscuits complaining on the political correctness of the downtown club scene

sus

I dunno the sentiment is pretty weird. what is it actually asking people to do.. be uncomfortable? lol it's not saying anything concrete ('be aware of how you move') but is more like a passive aggressive attempt to instil a sense of shame in their own customers. which I guess is part of the appeal for self-flagellating americans
This is how the entire economy works, weaponized shame, it's the same for Americans abroad. No concrete solutions, "yes we want your money and patronage, but you should also feel bad about yoruself"

sus

thinking about it I'd say that the emphasis on behaviour is a central feature of nyc club land at the moment, seems distinctive compared to previous eras (although my only first hand point of comparison is like non-london d&b nights so...)
Have you seen Wark's Ravers? Absolutely intolerable. The worst thing ever published.

shakahislop

Have you seen Wark's Ravers? Absolutely intolerable. The worst thing ever published.
i haven't read it but i listened to an hour of interview with them the other day. there was nothing egregious, it was a bit boring really.

a question for the dissensus massive, on the books side of things, is there much of a literature on the US side of 'raving' etc? obviously on the uk side we have the work of young upstart @blissblogger and so on. am sure there's loads on early house and techno but i keep hearing people talk about the equivalent of free parties in the US.

wektor

also, have to reiterate again how much I despise the intl american english you hear everywhere in the netherlands.
se london feels sublime in comparison, here everyone talks like they're on netflix, even worse, I am starting to adapt to it!

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
also, have to reiterate again how much I despise the intl american english you hear everywhere in the netherlands.
se london feels sublime in comparison, here everyone talks like they're on netflix, even worse, I am starting to adapt to it!
netflix is now a bigger cultural phenomenom as say mr. bean, so it makes sense that people pick up the accent.

sus

obviously I don't think it's anything intrinsic or even deeply cultural I just think it's about the shifting matrices of self-consciousness as they intersect with identity

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know it's a meme that white men are super entitled but the meme balances things out, the straight white men end up very quiet and don't speak english in public and are embarrassed to be alive. I don't see any of the classic frat bro behavior that's normally attributed to them, at least among the americans visiting here
If you don't see any frat bro behaviour, it means you are the frat bro.

version

If you don't see any frat bro behaviour, it means you are the frat bro.

This is what it's like when The Dudes meet up.

husbands-photo-de-presse.jpg