Best synth sound ever

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think Low is the first of his 'Berlin trilogy', the others being Station To Station and Heroes, which I guess are pretty well known.

Any Bowie geeks here? Summat like that anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think Low is the first of his 'Berlin trilogy', the others being Station To Station and Heroes, which I guess are pretty well known.
Any Bowie geeks here? Summat like that anyway."
Isn't Lodger one of the Berlin ones? Low, Heroes and Lodger I think. Although Station to Station would make sense too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Indeed, Low/Heroes/Lodger is the Berlin trilogy. I once (okay, twice) made a trek to his former shared gaffe with Iggy Pop in Schoneberg.

Station to Station is, I guess, the bridge between the glam/plastic soul era and Berlin, and it fits the bill perfectly (recorded in LA, though I had to look that up just now). Genius album.

Lodger is well worth getting too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm going there next month with my girlfriend and three mates - I think everyone involved in the trip is at the very least a casual fan, so we may end up having a look.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Station to Station is the track Bowie performs live in Berlin in Christiane F, maybe that's where the confusion arises.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Back to great synth sounds, I love the slightly fuzzy bass on this and the pseudo-strings that come in around 2:19:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's great, I love a bit of soulful electro.

The bass sound reminds me a bit of this:

which is sort of acid house meets new beat, kinda? It's pretty silly but I quite like it.

This (from the Ghostbusters soundtrack) is quality. It's one of the most insidiously evil things I've ever heard, although that's possibly due more to the vocals than the synths. Lovely ominous pulsing bass.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Both of those tracks are much better than you might think from the video images, I promise.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ha! um, cool track but not sure i'd go THAT far. :)

Possibly because of the way it's used in the film during the event that's meant to be the beginning of the end of the world, but there's just something very uncanny and sinister about it, I can't help but feel.

Edit: HMG, that fucking rips! Amazing. Don't think I remember ever hearing it in a club, which is a shame because it's the kind of thing I love. Always go nuts when 'Energy Flash' comes on.

While we're at it:

Dunno about 'best' but it's gotta be up there for nastiness.

Last edited:
Edit: HMG, that fucking rips! Amazing. Don't think I remember ever hearing it in a club, which is a shame because it's the kind of thing I love. Always go nuts when 'Energy Flash' comes on.

Most club licences didn't stretch to allowing Horsepower to be played inside solid walls, it was for external use only.

This one also from around the same time - nicely piano-driven, nice vocal sample... then... then... what the fuck is that from 1'45" and on? Nothing much, just the preamble for 2'15"
RIP Caspar Pound.

I don't mind a lot of the tracks in that jackin'/electroline thread but this stuff tears the shirt off its fucking back and hoses it down with Vicks

Last edited:

Leo

Most club licences didn't stretch to allowing Horsepower to be played inside solid walls, it was for external use only.

off topic but...how does that work, and how is it enforced? i mean, do club owners flip thru each dj's case and pull out records they can't play? no idea how it works in reality.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Is it like the techno equivalent of the 'brown noise'?

This one also from around the same time - nicely piano-driven, nice vocal sample... then... then... what the fuck is that from 1'45" and on? Nothing much, just the preamble for 2'15"

This is brilliant. For sheer acid weebly-wurbliness, it's up there with this:

I like how, just when you thought it couldn't get any more acid, it reaches 2:59 and then just ratchets it up another notch.

Stakker was Rob Dougan, who was later in FSOL. Who did a lot of naff hippyish whalesong rubbish, but did some great stuff as well. This track has probably the best acid squelch ever - turn up the volume and the bass/mid and wait till it hits 1:00...