Twees're Good (except they're not)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
If 'breeding' as a term implies some rationalisation of the natural process of having children perhaps the middle class way of having kids, fewer and in later life, when the 'objective circumstance' are most favourable is actually the highest example of breeding. In comparison with the relaxed, natural and easy way that poor people have kids the white middle class emphasis on choice and becoming a parent 'for the right reasons' resembles in itself a kind of 'breeding', except what is bred is not children but members of a family unit.

Thank you! My reply was gonna be more like "Have you BEEN to Clapham lately".

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I am very happy that I begat this thread. Go Disssensus! I love you all.

A tip: Don't drink 7.4% Conqueror IPA and try to read this thread. Sobriety is important. That said, fuck Pomplamoose. Fuck them with bayonets.

Twee can be good. I feel sorry for connect.icut - I have some Calvin Johnson records and they're just dandy; you're doing a sterling defensive job in the face of widespread dissent (natch). Beat Happening is perfectly OK. I never meant to denigrate that axis of twee, I own BMX Bandits records and am proud. I am not anti-twee, per se, but the appropriation by advertisers is what enrages me. That Match.com thing (see original post) is the nadir of, well, everything, really. It is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How many ordinary French people do you know, though? My (somewhat scattershot) experience of yer actual French food culture has been fairly mixed...

A few, not terribly many. I'm in France at the moment, my parents live here. They don't rate restaurants much here, as it happens - the cheaper ones just aren't very good and the half decent ones are very expensive and ponsy, apparently. They both cook a lot so what I think they like best about the food here is the quality of ingredients you can get in supermarkets. But even so, there's loads of things you can get in British shops that you can't get here, because the French are so secure in (arrogant about, some might say) their own culinary tradition which makes them not very receptive to foreign influences. Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite veg but when I asked a French girl I used to live with what they were called in French she had no idea, said they just weren't available there. And you can't get fresh cream! In the supposed dairy-food capital of the world!

It's probably a bit different in Paris or Marseille but whereas in England even the smallest two-bit town will have a Chinese takeaway, a tandoori or a pub doing 'Thai' food, that's not the case here.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, never, ever eat in Indian restaurants in France, was my experience. Chinese, ropey. Lebanese, excellent.

As Tea says, I think they'e still in love with their own cuisine, to an extent that means outside ideas take ages to filter in. It's very boring in a way, and that extends to other things besides food. They like their hip-hop more than Britain though, that's a plus point.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, never, ever eat in Indian restaurants in France, was my experience. Chinese, ropey. Lebanese, excellent.

As Tea says, I think they'e still in love with their own cuisine, to an extent that means outside ideas take ages to filter in. It's very boring in a way, and that extends to other things besides food. They like their hip-hop more than Britain though, that's a plus point.

I ate some seriously great food in Lebanon when I was there earlier this year, would love to get more into it. Lots of Indonesian restaurants in Holland, I guess it used to be the Dutch East Indies.

I heard France has the second-biggest hip-hop scene in the world after the US? Goes some way to make up for all that terrible electro-house, I suppose.

slowtrain

Twee can be good. I feel sorry for connect.icut - I have some Calvin Johnson records and they're just dandy; you're doing a sterling defensive job in the face of widespread dissent (natch). Beat Happening is perfectly OK. I never meant to denigrate that axis of twee, I own BMX Bandits records and am proud. I am not anti-twee, per se, but the appropriation by advertisers is what enrages me. That Match.com thing (see original post) is the nadir of, well, everything, really. It is completely unacceptable.

Yes, I was thinking about this last night.

I really believe that a distinction needs to be made between the Belle & Sebastian style "twee" and the Juno/ad campaign style "twee"; because they are really cut from (similar) but very different cloths. And having the same name confuses the issue.

I think everyone can figure out these two are seperate, and I think that somethng needs to be done about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I ate some seriously great food in Lebanon when I was there earlier this year, would love to get more into it. Lots of Indonesian restaurants in Holland, I guess it used to be the Dutch East Indies.

I heard France has the second-biggest hip-hop scene in the world after the US? Goes some way to make up for all that terrible electro-house, I suppose.

Do they make terrible elcectro-house? Quite possibly, but overall France has given more to the house music scene than almost anyone except...the US. Yeah, second biggest hip-hop scene - rapping in French sounds so goddamn good, no doubt something to do with it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That's very abstract, continuum.

I think they're all Christians. I think this is a Christian conspiracy. I think they're trying to make us all hate each other and bring about Armageddon or whatever. Yes I do. They stroke the little lamb of God. Yes they do. They stroke him and they wuv him and they will bwing him back.

continuum

smugpolice
Not sure, we were trying to define things we thought were twee (inspired by this thread) and then bit later on he just came out with his statement. We didn't really discuss it any further but it stuck in my head. Haven't really thought it through properly but it does make sense. New things are kind of by definition a bit twee in that you're not used to them and twee kind of represents the kooky and unusual which new stuff is also like.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's very abstract, continuum.

I think they're all Christians. I think this is a Christian conspiracy. I think they're trying to make us all hate each other and bring about Armageddon or whatever. Yes I do. They stroke the little lamb of God. Yes they do. They stroke him and they wuv him and they will bwing him back.

There could be something in this, I reckon. The cozy, jam-sale-and-harvest-festival CoE kind of Christianity presumably, as opposed to fire'n'brimstone Baptist mentalism or heavy gothic Passion-Of-The-Christ Catholicism...

More broadly, do you ever look at what's popular in our culture and have what I call one of my 'maybe al-Qa'eda has a point?' moments? Not to make light of demented religious intolerance, or anything, but...you know.

muser

yakult is also twee if that counts as food. And yogurts which used the word bio somewhere. And also kellogs corn flakes have been twee for around 7 years or so now

Gombreak

yakult is also twee if that counts as food. And yogurts which used the word bio somewhere. And also kellogs corn flakes have been twee for around 7 years or so now

All i can think about is sandwiches with the crust cut off,which basically sums this whole thing up. No roughage