thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i mean its definitely an art project, no junglist would even worry about Herbaliser, we were 100x more futuristic in 1994, no question,

B: Fuck that. If my tunes sounded like Herbalizer or some shit, I’d shoot myself. I’d throw myself under a train at Clapham Junction.

B: When I started sending music to Kode 9 he sent me CD back all this music with glitches and crackles. And I was like ‘aw fuck.’ He played me Rhythm and Sound, and told me about Basic Channel and Pole and I thought ‘fuck it sounds like I’m making some kind of electronica’ and I fought so hard against that because I wanted it to be just vibes, urban, that sound I love, proper UK. No genre, just a sound.

Def an art project, ravers are rarely this patriotic.

Yes Shutta is a great example of those weird slipping suction drums that sound like nobody else

when you know he’s capable of that the stapled on breaks are really underwhelming

version

Another change is he's really leaned into his thing for The Chemical Brothers, Luke Slater etc. I remember him going on about Hold Tight London in one of the Blackdown interviews and you can really hear that sort of thing in some of the later tunes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Neo_Chayanne December 10, 2019

One of the dopest trip hop artist of all time in the same league as Massive Attack! His first album release was quite of a rollercoaster ride into a new genre <3

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This one's always stood out to me. Shame he never really did anything like that again.

Well this is what I mean. some bits of Burial I like, but I don't like the Burial the artist/artistic project, rebel heavily against it in fact.

version

Always been curious about that really dark album he shelved, the one he said sounded like taking a gun apart.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Oh i also like that shutta tune but i only ever want to hear one tune in that style, and that's it. I'd say Burial really did let the likes of James Blake into dubstep.

version

"I was worrying, because after my first album I felt a bit of pressure to follow it up. I worked for hours on these tunes, and I was trying to learn these programmes. These tunes were darker, more technical, all the tunes sounded like some kind of weapon that was being taken apart and put back together again. But then I got sort of sick of them, because I spent so long on them, I was moody about other things. So I wanted to make a glowing record, I wanted to cheer myself up. Instead of doing those dark tunes that took ages and were really detailed, I wanted to make a record fast. Something warm, glowing, junglist and garagey."

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i mean you can drive a truck through Burial's 2006 interview where's like nah nah man i just wanna be vibes not muso.

and then a review like this in 2012, clearly the rebellion was not hard enough.

jiggawhat October 7, 2012

referencing Street Halo, 12", EP, HDB013
This release is rated 5 stars
The reason why Burial is such an icon in today's music scene is because it's a dramatic contrast to the oftentimes soulless music you hear being churned out by typical house/dub/techno producers today. You know - the dark, unresponsive, mechanical, over-digitized, and needlessly complex music that gets played in today's clubs. Entering the picture is Burial, with their moody songs filled with emotion and melancholy, their atmospheric landscapes, and their soulful vocal snippets. In "Street Halo" and other releases, Burial is putting back the "music" into "electronic music". The title track is the strongest, and most danceable one on this record, but don't sleep on any of the others, as they all demonstrate a comparably high level of production quality.

version

Street Halo was the release where I felt something had changed and he was starting to lose it. That was when I started to get the Four Tet "indie electronica" vibe from him.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Another change is he's really leaned into his thing for The Chemical Brothers, Luke Slater etc. I remember him going on about Hold Tight London in one of the Blackdown interviews and you can really hear that sort of thing in some of the later tunes.

i mean this is peak Luke Slater. just absolutely firin, in a style close to Easygroove at the time.