Blackdown

nexKeysound
The one thing I consistently like in Radford's sets is that dark bleep donk noise, I've been a sucker for that in pretty much any genre (house, techno/bleep, garage, jungle, dubstep...). I think that's what made me check in on his sets month in month out this year.

I wonder if that's proving to be a key sonic signifier of this stuff or will there be a range of them?

trilliam

@NATO tbf someone asked for the name of this tune very early on (MOE) and quite a few ppl successfully i.d'd it (me not being one of them)

re: nothing to fear i know martin ikin was a guy before this alias (martin mayhem he used to go by think i read it in here?) but when he dropped that EP with rhythm, what you've done, hold dis. he got a lot a lot of bookings from this scene. LoveHouse, Audiowhore you name it. dnt think he was getting that much love elsewhere.

re: the name i kind of like deeptech just for the fact that thats what it is, deep techy uk house, but more time on soundcloud the tune will either say tech house or deep house, it does make the stuff kinda impossible to google but that's not necessarily a bad thing, carnao beats refers to his music as "six foot deep house". he's shot a video for gone in the morning with donaeo incidentally.

@continuum the releases for HouseENT are scheduled to start coinciding with their boxing day party iirc first release is Storm and B3 - Line of Fire and another collab by the 2. the info is on their facebook just search for house entertainment uk. and ye frost is not a bad host at all. he only goes on for brief intervals so it doesn't distract from the music but besides that fool whose name i am forgetting making a track over au seve i think ppl know it's a non mc zone so more r getting turned onto producing or to DJ. truce has made one of the really standout anthems of the scene in virtuoso the glass remix and im still waiting for word on the release of that jack remix through SOTU recordings (pioneers label)

n the thing with the production is that the house template is so simple that many r just taking it for a blank canvas to go wherever they want. although yes it is still a variant of house at the end of the day.

Last edited:

trilliam

ye him

just awful

to requote incase any1 missed em

Majesty - Siesta at Slidings NYE

Storm Productions Takeover

Truce - House of Joy Birmingham

GGB aka Glen Butcher = House of Joy Birmingham

Pioneer - House of Joy meets MyHouse: DJ Pioneer PT.2 (Deeper Mix)

Apollo 84 - Apollo 84 - Metro De Apollo Boxing Day Showcase Mix

that majesty one i played all night long at work yday/this morning. the remix of reverse skydiving sounds very uk and is oh so sick, totally different vibe to the original and the mk remix both of which r nice. this one just makes it sound menacing in a next way. he also runs the three unreleased audiowhore tracks im waiting for, cruel summer, born to die and the billy idol sampling white wedding. so ye start with the majesty one.

did anyone watch Rewind: The Story of UKG by the way ?

they talk about how djs boxes went from 80:20 to 60:40 50:50 and eventually the UK stuff outweighing the US stuff in the space of 2-3 years. wicked wicked watch.

trilliam

so strange but it does work.

the track where the guy is talking about give me hats, and drums bangs as well. theres another track like that going round i think its called elements where a voice is like this is how u build a house track.

on the subject of nightmares on wax and martin mayhem who does know the name of the lfo sampling tune "thats what i say to you" im pretty sure it's an audio rehab ting

come january paycheque im purchasing all these guys back catalogues anyway i spent 800 pound on decks last month

glasshand

dj panic attack
that majesty mix is hard

sometimes i think some of the syncopation of funky has been rerouted from the snares to the bass in deep tech.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listening to this Majesty mix, it sort of begs the question to me of how disconnected from the dancefloor I am. Cos listening to it in my room alone I'm prone to analysing it or having it on in the background, whereas I can totally see me going whatever passes for wild in my sad little world to some of these basslines when pissy off the vodka and fanta. Saying that, although it took a live experience for me to get dubstep with funky it was more that I knew when hearing it outside of a club that I really wanted to hear it in a club.

Just seen Mark Radford's posted this promo mix for the AudioRehab MOS night, possibly already been posted but while I'm here/just in case

did anyone watch Rewind: The Story of UKG by the way ?

they talk about how djs boxes went from 80:20 to 60:40 50:50 and eventually the UK stuff outweighing the US stuff in the space of 2-3 years. wicked wicked watch.

Norris Windross: "It was So Solid wot ruined it with their devil worshipping basslines and bully boy mic chatter". Spoony: "One thing that always struck me was that whatever life through at him, Robbie Craig never let it phase him. You can see him now, even- he's still going to the gym, jogging round the park and that"

All jokes aside I thought it was a good documentary, but as someone who at the time was really into the dark direction things were going in the film was noteworthy in that some of the scene elders still seem bitter about how the unruly youngers temporarily gained the upper hand. With the benefit of hindsight you could say "well at least you didn't have to put up with fucking Skrillex clones".

trilliam

yeah norris did seem to rele resent so solid and all the ygs coming in, but them man sound overly disrespectful with the "we're coming to take your jobs" talk and all that. one thing that i noticed was the infrastructure. guys really knew what they were doing as opposed to grime where everything was so uncoordinated.

quick tracklist for that majesty mix

lance morgan & storm - when the night falls
hot since 82 - shadows
telepopmuzik - try me anyway (dirty channels remix)
viadrana - spellbound
majesty & vanz - white wedding
majesty & playtime productions - cruel summer
majesty & playtime productions - born to die
??? - ???
majesty & vanz - they want you matt fear remix
hot natured - reverse skydiving remix (uk???)
green velvet - bigger than prince (hot since 82 remix)
JUST GIMME THOSE HIGH HATS ???
luke larrell - oh yeah
carnao beats - abyss (??? remix)
playtime productions - our kind (??? remix)
one tech house tune i forgot the name of
??? - ???
robert rodriguez - keep thinking of u (classic)

Last edited:

datwun

re: the name i kind of like deeptech just for the fact that thats what it is, deep techy uk house, but more time on soundcloud the tune will either say tech house or deep house, it does make the stuff kinda impossible to google but that's not necessarily a bad thing, carnao beats refers to his music as "six foot deep house". he's shot a video for gone in the morning with donaeo incidentally.

n the thing with the production is that the house template is so simple that many r just taking it for a blank canvas to go wherever they want. although yes it is still a variant of house at the end of the day.

Yeah, deeptech, or deep-tech or something, at least that's sort of similar to like Funky House - funky/uk funky. shuffle's got the benifit of being a name that hasn't been taken already, but it's not very evocative of the music...

Yeah, there's is the nice thing of like, it doesn't seem like these producers are beholden to the long history of house or anything. I don't know for sure obviously, but you get the vibe that these younger producers are only getting into it through people like Mark Radford and Majestic, raves in London, and they're taking that as their starting point not the deep and tech house which has been around for forever. Which bodes well for the music expanding and evolving in interesting ways.

sometimes i think some of the syncopation of funky has been rerouted from the snares to the bass in deep tech.

Yeah, this Oliver Rees track in particular really reminds me of funky - the bass is very funkystepz to me, proper hard.

know what, after all that just realised wet dollars wasn't the biggie i meant after all. Its playtime productions - sicker than your average

could pass for a jackin tune that. i was a sucker for rap samples in jackin too, so I'm all for it in deeptech.

Banger! yeah that was one of the first deeptech tracks I downloaded, largely because it does have that slightly jackin vibe to it. As I think I said earlier, Louie Anderson also has a real jackin feel to his stuff, to the extent that I wonder if he's listening to it at all...

And yeah, the hiphop thing's definitely great, I find the female vox is a lot of this stuff a bit weak (stuff like Heading my Way notwithstanding), so the hiphop brings a nice bit of toughness. To be fair, I'd love to hear more UK MCs get invovled, but I'm sure absolutely everyone in the scene disagrees because of that weird thing where MCs in UK music past 2001 are forbidden in all genres apart from grime because ????

Last edited:

NATO

@ Trillz, yeah but it just seemed like only a couple of people back then (cba to go back and check). Seems like now everyone's getting gassed off Wet Dollars. This is no bad thing, just merely saying that you could go back 12 months and find stuff with a similar vibe to what we're hearing now, albeit with less frequency. Even that Radford birthday set from March that was 100% UK tunes.

This thread seems to really have picked up and I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Plenty of top stuff posted over the past coupla days that I want to listen to but forgot to bring my headphones to work - nightmare :mad: