Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah add me to the list of people who are enjoying the Arun Verone mix a lot.
It's got that compulsive 'in the zone' feel which to me is one of the special aspects of house music (but also one that I struggle at describing properly :rolleyes: ).

continuum

smugpolice
and frequency ldn came thru with the goods with these live sets from lance morgans birthday party in birmingham

Lance Morgan Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

Majesty Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

Arun Verone Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

Carnao Beats Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

Lee Edwards Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

Mark Radford Live @ Frequency 2nd Anniversary 21-12-13

nice

Is so good to have recordings of a whole night. Easily the best way to listen to recorded dance music. Even better that you no longer have to traipse down to some market stall and pay for the tapes or CDs. Have done the Lance Morgan and Majesty sets so far. Both v good. Looking forward to hearing the others. Also just seen this video of the night >

vvvwwwv

yes, that arun verone mix is big. wish he had it up for download, perfect for work. he has such a distinguishable and 'pumping' bass sound.
Is so good to have recordings of a whole night. Easily the best way to listen to recorded dance music. Even better that you no longer have to traipse down to some market stall and pay for the tapes or CDs.
yeah i find it a bit of a mission keeping on top of it all and getting a listen but i ain't arguing, keep it coming.

datwun

Just had a wicked interview with Mark Radford for my forthcoming deep tech article :cool: #nothinglong

(And I managed to actually record it this time!

trilliam

"Even better that you no longer have to traipse down to some market stall and pay for the tapes or CDs"

i agree with this to an extent, def makes it easier to keep up with things where as it may not be convenient for some to take a day out and hop on the underground. that being said the commitment involved in doing things like that only strengthen the scene, much as i like everything digital and on the internet it is very easy for things to die when there's nothing physical. a hub can never be a bad thing, and like u say recorded club nights r the best thing, i wouldnt mind paying a score for a tape pack and picking up some cds, tickets for an event while im at it.

kind of random post.

n i look forward to reading that article datwun.

just another reminder the Audio Rehab MoS night is just over three weeks away and in terms of music, professionalism, environment, line up, hell everything that goes into making a good night, it is going to be the best event of 2014. ordering my tickets next week. here's the full line up.

The Box
Hector Couto, Mark Radford, Martin Ikin, Carnao Beats, Louie Anderson

The Bar
Death On The Balcony, Tough Love, Kreature, Lowsteppa, Resample Live, Adam Cotier & Riaz Dhanani, Playtime Productions

The Baby Box
Nightshift, Hugo Massien, Shay & Sinista, RS4, D'Vinci

The Loft
Storm, Kane Law, Shea Burke, DJ S.K.T, Nathan Reid

set times gna be a MUST cause i wanna see at least 10 of dese

jimitheexploder

I've been trying to give this stuff more of a chance. Went back and listened to the Mark Radford Rinse CD to see how the sound had changed to what I was hearing now. It is changing for the better for sure, its kind of becoming more of a sound of its own inside house. The Rinse CD was kind of bait, all slightly dated like five years late euro tech house buisiness, really bad. But mixes now sound way less like that, you can still hear influence from that sound but its got a hell of lot darker. Some of it seems to have got even more retro than that Radford mix though, I hear loads of acid house drum patterns and sounds, which I thought where on the way out again a few years ago but they seem to be just creeping into this scene. There is still so much filler going on I find it tough to get through a hole mix but it is all on a better track than it was. Still not been moved by many tracks bar Wet Dollars and maybe one or two from Arun Verone (Tell Me [Footwork Mix]) kind of stands out but its mega retro too, I feel like I've heard it or something like it for years. Its all a bit chilled out to my ears, not sure how it'd be better in a club, thats just me though. I don't really like much house in clubs dispite loving it outside of that. There is a really killer vibe sitting in this scene somewhere ready to break out for me though it hasn't happened yet.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's something I have wanted from this stuff in the past (and on this thread), and of course something Dissensians generally look for but OTOH do we HAVE to look for the 'NEW' in music in order to be into it? I think its IDEAL to have great music which is also very fresh/original but sometimes its not necessary. This is actually the case in rap music (which is what I listen to most of the time) - its brilliant when you hear something that really flips the script but equally there's a million ''Trap'' style beats out there which are still thoroughly effective.

I'm not particularly well versed in house other than a passing accquaintance with the old Chicago/Detroit stuff, and the odd modern producer like Omar S/Motor City Drum Ensemble etc. So I don't know how similar to 'tech house' this stuff is - I think my main problem with it has actually been its sparsity and... I don't know, a certain lack of energy (which e.g. Funky had in spades). However, listening to that Continuum mix (and the GGB live, and the Arun Verone mix recently posted) I've started to accept as a given the darker, less rowdy aesthetic of this stuff and accepting it more on those terms.

In terms of looking for it to become a completely original thing I don't think this is far off, that ''Know Me Name'' tune in particular is nothing I would expect to hear in an average house rave, it more closely resembles grime to me - or at least channels it. I think the use of hip-hop samples (Biggie, Nas etc.) is something I don't really hear in any other house music - it's a small thing but its differently expressive of a certain take on house music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wouldn't mind reaching that MOS rave and thats my birthday weekend but tbh at this stage I don't know if I could persuade many friends of mine to go. Hopefully when I move to LDN this year I'll be able to reach some of these nights cos I feel like it would be interesting to see the vibe and hear those tunes in a proper context.

jimitheexploder

For me I don't know if its needing something mega new, I love a load of retro house. Just has to hit me right. I'm really up for proper killer deep dark techy house music, just not sure I've heard it here yet.

Know Me Name and Carnao in general reminds me of a more liniar stright up house Boddika, sometimes he's a bit ruder than Boddika sometimes not.

/ but kind of mixed with that retro house thing that was big a few years ago: /
There is a slight rhythmic diffrence in the drums, I dunno they kind of whip a little, which is wicked and might come to something.

glasshand

dj panic attack
For me I don't know if its needing something mega new, I love a load of retro house. Just has to hit me right. I'm really up for proper killer deep dark techy house music, just not sure I've heard it here yet.

Know Me Name and Carnao in general reminds me of a more liniar stright up house Boddika, sometimes he's a bit ruder than Boddika sometimes not.

/ but kind of mixed with that retro house thing that was big a few years ago: /
There is a slight rhythmic diffrence in the drums, I dunno they kind of whip a little, which is wicked and might come to something.

this jakki degg aka mrs smith mix has got a load of old skool sounding ones in it, some absolute bangers like @33 mins, 45mins, 54mins etc. (if any1 can id those for me would be appreciated too)