denoir

Tbh I'm not really keen on the house & bass segments of Radford's show (Low Steppa), the garagey hats don't really fit with the deep tech sound and I just cannot get excited about unimaginative polished speed garage.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
''Serious People'' is such a great tune to sum up the difference between deep tech and funky/jackin'. I mean the phrase really.

trilliam

ok so Lance Morgan is a really good DJ, loving that Frequency set

plays some of the best sounds around as well, only a couple bait ones which gives him a pretty clear style, like b3 in that sense, was the top dj in 2013

this is a wicked set from him @ a ukzoo party in 2012

trilliam

promo for an 'intimate event' called meraki on february 1st, lookin a nice alternative to ministry

sleek mix from freight train n lots of boss from shea burke

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Tbh I'm not really keen on the house & bass segments of Radford's show (Low Steppa), the garagey hats don't really fit with the deep tech sound and I just cannot get excited about unimaginative polished speed garage.

Good call. When I heard him play a Low Steppa tune recently I was like wtf but didn't say anything such has been my blind worship. Pretty sure he is aiming for big name status in the long run which will mean the obvious dilution and draining of energy to appeal to a broader spectrum. Think we may have witnessed the first step in that direction.

NATO

Tune ID - 30mins on the Freight Train mix, also really obvious:

"the way I feel about you" into a fairly melodic bassline that walks down a few notes at the end of each bar.

Also the one at 43 mins plz, also really obvious, heard it loadsa times before myself.

Last edited:

trilliam

I don't mind this one.

Rest of the EP aint bad either, last one is kinda retro again but still alright like.

Always liked the Deep Teknologi people some years back. Was pretty much this sound but with drums that where more swung.

dunno bout 'pretty much' but zander hardy j phlip n others from that camp did make pretty housey bass

funny u mention them cause this set by zander hardy turned up and he is playing a lot of uk underground house

has posted some new bits on soundcloud as well

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I must have been pretty much recalibrated when it comes to this stuff cos the Shay and Sinista mix that previously I found a bit boring/mechanical now seems to be full of bangers. I guess this is always the process for me when I encounter a new genre (apart from the rare ones I INSTANTLY love) - I see them in terms of what they DON'T do, but once I get used to them I start to enjoy what they DO do.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Of course some ppl will say that this ISN'T a new genre. But its definitely different from what I usually listen to. And I think there is a definite feel to the harder end of this stuff which reminds me of garage and even grime - the hip-hop samples, the stabbing basslines, the syncopation on top of the 4X4 kick-clap-kick-clap foundation.

Good call. When I heard him play a Low Steppa tune recently I was like wtf but didn't say anything such has been my blind worship. Pretty sure he is aiming for big name status in the long run which will mean the obvious dilution and draining of energy to appeal to a broader spectrum. Think we may have witnessed the first step in that direction.
really? "unimaginative polished speed garage" is not the way I'd describe Low Steppa's tunes at all. Not sure if it's still residue from the 'future garage' thing that makes you think all garagey sounding new music is a retread or something, but he's made some great tunes in the past year. They are dj tools though, for sure, but at this stage having to clarify that house music is club music and it's supposed to be listened to in a dj set is a bit discouraging.

Plus, with the kind of stuff Mark plays, I find it very necessary to swing up the rhythm every few tunes, which he usually does very well.

wise

bare BARE BONES
there are quite a few deep tech tunes with garagey hats anyway.
SKT's productions spring to mind.

denoir

really? "unimaginative polished speed garage" is not the way I'd describe Low Steppa's tunes at all. Not sure if it's still residue from the 'future garage' thing that makes you think all garagey sounding new music is a retread or something, but he's made some great tunes in the past year. They are dj tools though, for sure, but at this stage having to clarify that house music is club music and it's supposed to be listened to in a dj set is a bit discouraging.

Plus, with the kind of stuff Mark plays, I find it very necessary to swing up the rhythm every few tunes, which he usually does very well.

I don't know, tracks like that seem a bit out of place in this context. A lot of them bear a specific sound palette that is often way too (90s) retro sounding to complement the deep tech sound (there are exceptions, e.g. Nothing to fear). Low Steppa, S.K.T., etc sound much better pitched up and mixed with ukg or jackin rather than deep tech.

There's not a big difference in tempo between this sort of stuff and the jackin lot. Mark Radford, Carnao, Arun Verone and those guys usually play their sets at around 122-125 BPM, while Lorenzo, Shorterz and even Low Steppa's sets usually go like 123 to 127. There's enough jackin and garagey productions made at 122/123 BPM, while a lot of the deep tech stuff goes up to 124-125. I wouldn't separate them by tempo at all. Not necessarily by rhythm either, as wise pointed out, guys like S.K.T or Adam Cotier walk a fine line between being techy and swunged out.

I understand some feel the need to isolate this stuff to give it its own identity, but it's silly to artificially create a line when there's a lot of common ground and a lot of room for both sides to interact.