trilliam

how long before the post dubstep, "forward thinking", quietus/factmag favourites come a long and get all the plaudits u boys reckon

blazey

how long before the post dubstep, "forward thinking", quietus/factmag favourites come a long and get all the plaudits u boys reckon

I think about 8 months to 1 year.

I had someone today say to me 'Pandora is quite a chavvy rave' which reminded me of the days when people would say exactly the same about Sidewinder - than a few years later they're raving to exactly same music, but just in a different surroundings accompanied with a diluted vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blazey

Got no concerns with the scene/sound being misinterpreted/jumped upon through DJs like Brackles or Pinch playing with and interacting with these sounds, think it's totally healthy given their backgrounds, but I am waiting for Urban Nerds to stake their claim in discovering the scene and trying to make Radford a resident or whatever. Or Johhny Banger throwing an ironic Shuffling party. Anything like that can fuck off

Yeah, guys like Brackles n Pinch explore the sounds because they hold a genuine interest , however, there are a lot of people who like to eat bread that they didnt bake.

I expect a few to crop up within the next few months.

Will be interesting.

Last edited:

blazey

Nah its more that

Nowt up with that bruh!

From when someone appreciates the actual music then it's all fucking good in my opinion.

What this scene doesnt need, which is the problem in the 'generic house' scene (especially in Bristol) is it turning into a playground' for md'ed up socialites who go because they apparently 'fuckin luv deep house!'

blazey

Has anyone ever written anything remotely academic (or not even academic) about urban/black/street culture being repackaged/reappropriated and sold back as a safer/diluted experience to be consumed by middle-class urban migrants? To give an obvious example the Red Bull stages at carnival are the most blatant vehicles of this process

Nope.

You must have seen my various rants on Facebook, I domt wanna bring my fury to Dissensus too lol.

It's a problem though most definately.

In all honesty, music is to be enjoyed by everyone right, so it shouldnt be a huge problem, but my beef with what Redbull do at Bristol carnival is the fact they dont put fuck al on that the locals would like to see. (I.e hip hop, baahment, the house they like, etc etc) .

This is an issue for outside of this thread though, I dont wanna bore anyone, most of my freinds think I cracked up due to it lol.

trilliam

Has anyone ever written anything remotely academic (or not even academic) about urban/black/street culture being repackaged/reappropriated and sold back as a safer/diluted experience to be consumed by middle-class urban migrants? To give an obvious example the Red Bull stages at carnival are the most blatant vehicles of this process

this is kind of a hot topic atm, depends how literal u wanna go

last week 1xtra dropped a powerlist basically pandering to the kind of thing you're talking about, which couldn't have come at a worse time because a couple weeks before that the guy from bloc party write a letter on the state of black british music and blamed 1xtra and capital, as if this wasn't enough there's also an article called the house disclosure built which addresses the issues above in more depth and less coherency

they can all be found on thump subsidary of vice, and your mileage may vary, mine certainly did on that third article

trilliam

just googled it again and elijah dropped his 2 cents on the issue

gets kind of funny at the end with the reporter totally missing the point

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-sheeran-have-topped-1xtra-power-list-debate

here's the other articles, it's a slow monday

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/black-british-music-is-being-extinguished-kele-okereke

http://thump.vice.com/en_uk/words/the-house-that-disclosure-built

cant find the other article but if you type in ed sheeran or ed sheeran wiley you'll get a good idea of the "furore"

trilliam

that was pretty articulate just saying bro

gentrification does need some very serious, and most importantly realistic viewpoints, imagine a pub called job centre recently opened on deptford high st

but ye that thing about the coronet doesn't sound promising, no65s future is still undecided atm as well

datwun

The gentrification of East London seems like an almost totally overlooked aspect of UK dance music for these last 10 years. I think the effect of the gentrification on the music itself is likely to be super complex and even more complicated by the fact that East London, the epicentre of UK dance music, was being flooded with white, middle class, uni educated media types at the same time as the internet was totally reshaping the very notion of what locality and locally situated music meant. People from America making UK bass etc. But surely there's got to be some relation between the fact East London was getting flooded with white students who were good with computers, and Joy Orbison lol.

That said, the idea of an untouched authentic culture being taken over by an outside force is a bit neat. Loads of the Deep Tech guys have clothing sponsorships, there's no sense of 'more underground than tho' when it comes to getting promotion from Mixmag, or running events at Ministry of Sound. What does a 'mainstream' dance music event look like in the UK today? Would any of those parties pull a bigger crowd than Audio Rehab?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is all interesting to read, and certainly plays on my mind with regard to deep tech and dance music in general. Of course, I'm one of those white middle class "hipsters" currently planning to move to East LDN so I'm perhaps on shaky ground talking about it. Going to Frequency the other night did make me wonder if what's happening to London club music is what is happening to London itself, socially and economically. Which is go say, the real London music, like the real London people (I.e. natives of) is being pushed out of the centre.

Frequency was certainly one of the only nights I've reached in London for a long time that was a) outside zone 1/2 and (b) full of native Londoners (black, white, Asian etc.).

I think even leaving aside class and racial differences in audiences, the effect of gentrification will slowly strangle clubbing in central LDN due to noise restrictions. Central London is slowly and tragically turning into a playground for the rich/bourgeois.

vvvwwwv

cpl of dismissive comments in the facebook news story for that article brah. why i can't see the fact mag bunch/post dubstep crowd whatever the fuck latching on to deeptech to take the plaudits as you suggest. lot of people been against this scene from the start; shit dancing, derivative house music, raves too 'chavvy' now...haha

big up pinch and brackles though. scanned through brackles' rinse shows, playing plenty of bangers. and that tune of his 'vunerable' is more of the same too

know lot of you will have seen this, but for the rest, hugo's come through with style wars vol. 2. vol. 1's been a fav of mine this year but this one blows it out the water. watch out for the tune 13 mins in, by the time the kick comes back in you've already lost your shit
<iframe width="100%" height="125" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

trilliam

cpl of dismissive comments in the facebook news story for that article brah. why i can't see the fact mag bunch/post dubstep crowd whatever the fuck latching on to deeptech to take the plaudits as you suggest. lot of people been against this scene from the start; shit dancing, derivative house music, raves too 'chavvy' now...haha

link to the facebook news story?

i hear what you're saying but tbh all you've gotta do is read this thread to see the 180. not exactly uncommon in music.

i wanna go to see this stil, with any luck its totally horrible and people won't even think about taking notice for another 16 months.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Its a bit of a dilemma because on the one hand I think this scene and the DJs and producers in it deserve exposure but OTOH obviously part of what makes this such exciting music and parties is that its been bubbling in the underground, unnoticed and unmolested by the dance media. Now having been to frequency I'm feeling (without entitlement) covetous towards it; I want there to be as many parties as possible before it becomes too trendy.

One thing I think dtech has in its favour if it does become hipsters choice is all the DJs and producers and labels are so powerfully established already it would be hard for johnny come latelys to take advantage. The lack of media exposure has allowed the scene to grow and establish itself on its own terms. Least as far as I can tell.

vvvwwwv

yeah true. couldn't blame ppl getting involved right now though. raves popping off, endless sets to d/l, enough quality releases to leave you skint for weeks.. and long may it continue.

glasshand

dj panic attack
It's even more difficult to simultaneously compare the real and the false reality as there is this constraint whereby the music has to first be mythologised in some way (as 'Old Skool Garage' & Grime have been) so that it gains an element of cultural capital that allows it to be consumed by the students, the creatives, the gentrifiers, and normally by the time the sound becomes fully mythologised within the industry, the real scene has died or dissappeared (look at Jungle, UK Garage, Grime & Funky - this process is obvious in all of them). In a way that's what's so beautiful about the Deep Tech scene - it's seen from the outside as just shit House music being shuffled to by the chavs, who obviously have no idea of the superiority of the 'intelligent' global House scene - so, so far, it has avoided the mythologising (I am aware that this thread is the first stage in such a process of a mythology and I have thought whether any articles published by any of us would provide the basis for the go-ahead of it's 'discovery' and subsequent reappropriation by the Fact/Post-Dubstep/UK Bass crowd who then lead and develop the gentrification process of the sound).

really really well summed up