photos of lea valley before Olympic development

craner

Beast of Burden
This mountain bike Craner is riding he had as a 14 year old which was probably around the start of the mountain bike craze. I think it was steel and it squeaked and creaked a lot.

This is why I look so awkward on it. I was completely out of my comfort zone on bikes. Also, I had a terrifying, existential hangover that day (the ride from Bow to Richmond), I was really out of sorts. You had to force me to go on that ride.

craner

Beast of Burden
I took us about an hour to patch up the tyre before we got going that day. We were trying to find the puncture in a bowl of water. I'd literally just had it brought from Wales so I could avoid taking the tube after 7/7.

The good thing about that day was that I got to show you and Jim the parakeets at Isleworth.

craner

Beast of Burden
I have a very good historical memory, by the way, which is quite astounding when you consider the quantities of wine I drank then.

luka

I reckon you're confusing the timeline here tbh. I cycled up to Richmond many times but I'm not sure i cycled with you. You took me to see the parakeets but I reckon we took the train and I don't think Jim was there. I think it was before I started cycling again.

luka

That photo is taken somewhere near Silvertown/Thames Barrier Park, that part of town.

luka

Remember Thames Barrier park with the Ballard apartments and the topiary hedges?

craner

Beast of Burden
No, we definitely did. We had to cycle back via Piccadilly Circus at rush hour, it was fucking terrifying. You and Jim kept complaining because I wouldn't ride fast enough. We had a beer at Isleworth but only one each because we didn't want to ride back pissed. I remember it. Ask Jim.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm sure we got off at Canning Town and walked. I remember we walked for fucking miles one of the times we went there and the weather was overcast.

luka

Jim says we went Richmond. Amazed you were fit enough to get all that way and back.

luka

And that day we went south Newham. Which is round Thames Barrier Park, Beckton Alp, the docks etc