IdleRich

IdleRich
So Trump's lawyer (Schoen) criticised the prosecution for "playing videos" to make their case... and then started his defence with - who can guess this? - a video.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Everyone is ripping into the performance of Trump's main lawyer... apparently Trump was greatly displeased too, though sadly we couldn't see him lose it in real time cos he's still banned from pretty much every platform.

Leo

Trump’s Lawyer Rambles Through Hilariously Incoherent Impeachment Defense

Bruce Castor, the attorney who opened up President Trump’s legal defense against his second impeachment trial, gave the Washington Post an eerily accurate preview of his style beforehand. “I’m not Ken Starr or Alan Dershowitz. You’re not going to get a law professor’s explanation,” Castor said. “I’m a guy who gets up in court and talks.”

Promise made, promise kept. Castor’s argument was not a “law professor’s explanation.” It was not, in fact, an explanation of any kind. He was a guy who talked.
----------------------
Castor’s discursive rambling was so apparent that both he and Trump’s legal advisers were forced to explain his haplessness while Castor’s speech was still going on. “I’ll be quite frank with you,” Castor confessed. “We changed what we were going to do on account that we thought that the House managers’ presentation was well done.”

Leo

Trump hid his calls with Putin. Now, Biden has access to them.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Jail vs deep state killers who have wanted him dead for a while

He knows too much, if this were any other area of criminality what’s the most likely outcome?

Granted, a successful impeachment is primo result, but killing him would send out a message. A death by natural causes for a man his age is entry level for intelligence agencies

Leo

GOP senators ted cruz, Lindsay graham and mike lee met with the Trump legal defense team today to discuss legal strategy. they aren't even hiding it.

impartial jurors, right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's weird... if Trump did nothing else good, he has at least highlighted numerous weaknesses in the US democracy system.

Leo

this whole cult of personality thing still amazes me, unless maybe it's huckibee and others just smelling out a way to make a quick buck.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think it's that to be honest. I've read a bit more and it looks like a scam, you have to sign up a direct debit apparently which you can only turn off by cancelling your card!

luka

thats the reason i decided to watch robocop when i did. Trump was a Verhoven president. I loved the black leather gloves and the burly-shouldered black overcoat.

Reactions: Leo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A cheerful, cheesy, kitsch, American fascism, that stomps on your head while it slurps on a Big Mac and diet coke.

IdleRich

IdleRich
“The reality is, Mr. Trump was not in any way, shape or form instructing these people to fight or to use physical violence,” Mr. van der Veen said. “What he was instructing them to do was to challenge their opponents in primary elections to push for sweeping election reforms, to hold big tech responsible.”
I sort of feel something akin to admiration for someone who can stand up in front of the senate, on national (in fact international) tv and keep a straight face while telling such an incredible, mindblowing lie... pretending to truly believe something so utterly removed from the reality of what happened, even the reality of what could conceivably have happened... it's absolutely staggering to me.
Admiration is not the right word of course but some kind of horrified amazement is unavoidable. Where do these people come from? Don't they have the same kinds of feelings that normal people have?

Leo

I like the bit that's come out from the GOP representative about the Trump-McCarthy call during the riot

As rioters breached the Capitol on Jan. 6, House Minority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and former President Donald Trump screamed at each other over the phone. McCarthy told Trump to call off the rioters, to which Trump, according to CNN, said, “Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.” The former president refused to tell the mob to vacate the Capitol building. McCarthy, emphasizing that he could hear rioters breaking windows near his office, responded, “Who the f--k do you think you are talking to?” The two leaders then descended into a shouting match that did not result in action, according to Republicans briefed on the call.

Late Friday, Rep. Jamie Herrera Butler (R-WA) confirmed that she spoke to McCarthy, who relayed details of the shocking conversation to her.

Leo

the king of projection:

“It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree,” he wrote, echoing the final arguments of his lawyers in the Senate on Saturday.