Rap 2016

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I reckon a lot of ppl will think this is absolute garbage but I'm into it. I prefer it to any of Eminem's 'proper' music from recent years.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
MEEK MILL - DC4

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:6sNbRwX0lZREkdmUSDsVzo" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Hoping there'll be some stuff as good as his recent 'freestyle' on Funk Flex on here:

2 CHAINZ - HIBACHI FOR LUNCH

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:1UTYHgCK9JUx7yLlp1qZKn" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

If you're a 2 Chainz fan, this is another solid mixtape from Tity Boi. A good Gucci verse, a good Future appearance.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

FUTURE feat. DRAKK - USED TO THIS

prod. Zaytoven

Nice to hear an upbeat song from Fewch, makes a change from all that 808 mafia misery shit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Meek mixtape is decent, if you don't mind him yelling the whole time. This track is bonkers, although I've driven myself mad with it cos it got stuck in my head:

CrowleyHead

Imagine if some overpayed hacks like Ali and Q-Tip decided to torment their fanbase and make a trap album? Just Q-Tip with Don Trip.

That would be better than any new Tribe album

CrowleyHead

He's had a good 25 years of being one, so the now is superfluous. It's kind of like saying "But that spider's dead now" if you're talking about killing a spider when you're 8.

CrowleyHead

No, and I respect the fact that Tribe is resonant and like, important to people. But ignoring the fact that I don't care for them, we're in a weird point where "TRIBE ARE COMING BACK"

... Who gives a shit? You know I ultimately was bored to tears by that impenetrable De La album, but they did a thing and I respect it even if I don't want to listen to it ever again. But Tribe are not going to do anything that defies their expectations. They're going to have a series of tasteful loops and drums, Q-Tip is going to say nothing, you're going to have some Phife verses about nothing (RIP to the legend), some guest verses from Consequence or Joell Ortiz or something, maybe ONE feature who feels like a curve ball but really isn't like Pusha T or something, some guest singers. And its going to be this big 'return to form' or whatever just to get something that will not thrive off the merits of itself as a record but off the stature of the legacy of participants.

Of course maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they do something unexpected and fly in the face of convention. I just don't see as conservative a team as that doing it, and in a time where new rap is so polarizing or exhausting to people with so little loyalty to watching artists develop and have a career, especially due to a completely different industry mentality for artists of their era, Tribe are a distraction.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Fair enough. I don't expect much from it tbh but if there's one or two good tunes on there I'll take it.

Black Beatles is currently the most streamed song on Spotify due to the Mannquin Challenge!

'The Mannequin Challenge, which has taken the Internet by storm lately, has helped “Black Beatles” move up the chart tremendously. Nearly all of the best Mannequin Challenge videos feature “Black Beatles” in the background.'

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/11/rae-sremmurd-black-beatles-highest-charting-song-gucci-mane/

rubberdingyrapids

i love black beatles.

best song on that RS album is black beatles or take it or leave it.

re: the greatest new york rap group of all time, who in their right mind expects the tribe album to be great? lol. its exciting. cos im a fan. but i dont expect it to be special. hoping for one or two songs at best that are standouts, the kind of thing youd add to a tribe best of to show they could still come up with the goods. ultimately you just want to hear the group together again. just those voices, those same guys, nothing more, nothing less. its not meant to be about surprises, just reassuring. and thats ok, theyre not a young group. i just hope it doesnt sound like three guys out of practice of working with each other, like a warm up.

if you want something unexpected, you dont need tribe, you need lil yachty or someone about 25 years younger.

CrowleyHead

Nobody needs Tribe is my point. Young people don't need to feel like they're acting against the world around them by supporting who were the most middling of a movement that came and went over 20 years ago, old people don't need this act of nostalgia comfort food, rap in general doesn't need such a bunch of old bores clogging up valuable media/record store space with an album that'll do 22K on Vinyl Only that's designed to gauge the fan and substandard quality.

If Tribe had any sense of awareness and optimism for 'the culture' they'd give away an album for free and just make the quarter million they'll make doing festival bookings (which they'd do without a new album because they're a legacy act regardless of my opinion). But they don't.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess this is an issue for rap which rock has been dealing with for decades. Legends and non-legends alike ageing and refusing to get off the stage. I do feel like it's the same old names year after year in rap for the most part, although obviously groups like Rae Sremmurd and rappers like Thug have come through too.

rubberdingyrapids

unless im missing something, nobody is saying 2016 tribe is what anyone 'needs', or that theyre here to 'save' hip hop. i will check for it as they still sound like no one else, they havent ruined it by making a lot of so so records like de la soul, there is a certain aesthetic you get from 90s rappers/producers that even modern ppl working in that style do not have, and yknow, they have personalities that no one else has. you like tribe cos you like q tip and less so in my case, phife. its their voices. tribe did hard beats but didnt try to be 'hard' themselves.

i get the 'fuck the old generation' argument, but i dont really feel like tribe are forcing themselves on anyone, or refusing to get off the stage (ie chuck d), they havent put out an album in what? 20 years?! that is what makes it more unusual and special. im not sure there is a comparable case in rap. of a group retiring near the peak of their powers then leaving it alone for so long (barring some tours).

i dont think i read even middle aged rap fans holding up old rappers who are still making a lot of records - sadat x, kool keith, public enemy, or to use someone who is still on a major label and pretty visible, common - as being better or superior NOW than future, drake, kanye, etc etc.

yeah theres nostalgia out there, and i know theres the hardcore bastion of rap fans who wont accept anything non trad NY sounding, but a comeback like this is pretty rare in rap. its rare.

i know the contrarian in you is forced to fight any critical mass, but the reason its an event, is cos they have not put out any music in decades. and yknow, one of the group died. and this is the last tribe album. there will not be another one.

basically, this is not for you.
it is for people aged 30+.
apart from some historically minded young kids into The History, i imagine a tribe reunion would dent their soundcloud/youtube universe about as much as the de la album. ie like a leaf falling on a windscreen.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

the tribe album is... okay.

a nice catch up with old friends. but you dont necessarily want to meet up again.

busta sounds quite out of shape. tip and phife sound good. but it doesnt really sound like theyre trying too hard.

anyone able to recommend the best of the recent gucci mane output? not necessarily an album, but songs?