Rap 2016

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Q-Tip's voice hasn't really changed at all since 'People's Instinctive Travels'. Fountain of youth. Probably eats his greens.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like this album. I see some ppl on ILX saying its up there with LETheory and MMarauders which I'm not so sure about but it definitely doesn't sound like old dogs trying new tricks or even old dogs trying old tricks they're too old to do anymore.

It's also quite refreshing, which perhaps indicates that, rather than distracting from the new acts, Tribe are filling a space here that nobody else has quite managed to fill. I guess your Anderson Paaks and Chance The Rappers are the modern equivalent of Tribe?

rubberdingyrapids

def not up there with any of their older albums, except maybe BRL.

no new tricks really, just a few things that sound like tribe, but a little to the left (like the one with the prince drums). didnt feel like they were trying to recover old ground either. just them settling into a comfy groove, but def 2016, i quite liked the song that responds to trumpism.

modern heirs are obv chance and lesser IMO, anderson paak. i find his persona a bit all over the place. i cant quite place him. which makes him interesting and all that, but also not that easy to warm to, from my end anyway.

forclosure

New Tribe album is alright, i mean i like it more than the new De La but it's not knocking something like "Honor Killed the Samurai" off my personal top spot(anybody gave the new Ka a listen? i think it's excellent but i worry where can he go from here) that track with Andre 3000 was weak sauce though

I can see 2 kinds of people aside from long time fans putting that Tribe album as their album of the year white rock guys will probably see it as their "one rap album a year" which they can use as an example of "what rap needs to be more like?" partially because it sounds older and has live instruments etc

and critics who from the moment they heard there was a new Tribe album knew they would put it on their album of the year lists regardless of what came out that year (see when Black Messiah finally came out)

In other news the new Vic Spencer album St. Gregory is really good although i think it's a bit too long:

I spoke to Crowley once about my issues with the Grisdela Records lot but Westside Gunn's Hitler Wears Hermes 4 is solid Conway's verse on this is great:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You could be right. There's a lot of good will towards Tribe, esp after Phife's death, unless you're name's CrowleyHead ofc

Saying that I have seen all manner of ppl reacting well to it,so perhaps its just good?

rubberdingyrapids

its definitely good. if you think its crap, then, maybe you didnt like tribe. or had expectations that didnt ever match up with their actual music.

luka

I heard part of one song and it really reminded me of beastie boys intergalactic. It was terrible. Qtip was sort of shouting like they do on that song too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I heard part of one song and it really reminded me of beastie boys intergalactic. It was terrible. Qtip was sort of shouting like they do on that song too.

what if the sum is greater than the parts, young jedi?

edit: i do hate the beastie boys though.

luka

Rule of thumb; any time a hiphop act consciously invokes 'jazz' they are about to perpetrate an atrocity

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's a cliche and I'm disappointed in you right now

DEAD RAPPERS GET BETTER PROMOTION

Here's a playlist I made on a whim today of dead rappers

CrowleyHead

I don't know why we're so adamant to defend the watered down sellout version of The Jungle Brothers, but one group got to sell a trillion records off of being inane, apolitical and goofy and the other one only made two classic albums that challenge expectations on some inept dance music label, it happens.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Even gangnam style had to be a banger

(Mr blobby admittedly bucked this trend that one time)

Good point on them being apolitical though never really thought about that