Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also being able to think like those doing the “manipulating” may help.

Ultimately the future I anticipate is not nearly as dystopian as much of this may suggest.

version

I guess I know exactly what I want from the internet: out of print books, Italian films on blu-ray, Instagram, Dissensus and a platform to offer my amazing essays to the public. Beyond that, nothing. So in that sense I don't feel vulnerable or open to manipulation.
Yeah, but this is the problem. You don't really have the choice to restrict it to that. You can manage your own internet usage to a degree, but we're in the process of hooking everything up to it. If you want to travel, purchase things, apply for a driving license and so on, it all gets fed into this ever-growing machine that very few of us really understand or have any influence over.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, but this is the problem. You don't really have the choice to restrict it to that. You can manage your own internet usage to a degree, but we're in the process of hooking everything up to it. If you want to travel, purchase things, apply for a driving license and so on, it all gets fed into this ever-growing machine that very few of us really understand or have any influence over.

That's true, I did think, immediately after I posted that, so when did you last use a travel agent, Craner?

The point with that though is it's a tool to facilitate a decision independently made.

The driving license point is taken, but for me (and this is something I am researching for my job) that's as much about digital exclusion as data harvesting.

catalog

how many people have had the experience of talking about somethin gand then getting ads? happened to us on holiday, when we we retelling people about having this mushroom tincture and then lo and behold, my wife is getting ads for growkits.

version

I think, for me, it ultimately comes down to having so little trust in the people and institutions in power that the thought of them being able to have the sort of access to people's lives that tech's promising is horrifying.

There's also the question of AI. Do you want to be reduced to a set of data points and shoved around by an algorithm? It's bad enough trying to deal with a human being through things like customer support. Imagine that sort of situation, but with something even less flexible.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think, for me, it ultimately comes down to having so little trust in the people and institutions in power that the thought of them being able to have the sort of access to people's lives that tech's promising is horrifying.

There's also the question of AI. Do you want to be reduced to a set of data points and shoved around by an algorithm? It's bad enough trying to deal with a human being through things like customer support. Imagine that sort of situation, but with something even less flexible.

So do you still use a travel agent?

version

So do you still use a travel agent?
I haven't been abroad since the early 2000s, but that isn't really down to this. I only started thinking about this stuff seriously a few years ago. I would be somewhat hesitant nowadays though.

catalog

the nazis were technologically so astute weren't they. and very media literate. that harness of propaganda, no-one had done it before. are google and facebook nazis though? must be so weird being in either google or facebook. all the people i know in tech are obsessed with these issues of surveillance capitalism

version

There's a constant back and forth. If you completely go over into this sort of paranoia then you can drive yourself mad and may as well go off and live in a cave somewhere, but I think people should be more aware, curious and skeptical of things too.

catalog

the few i know want to have their cake (ie money) and eat it too (ie without any indigestion) which just doesn't seem possible.