luka

This is the exact same reason every single Marvel superhero would have voted Biden. There's not one Marvel superhero who would have voted Trump. They would despise Trump and seek to undermine him by non-democratic means.

Yes, but I;m on the side of the hypothetical totalitarian globalist forces. One of the few times I'm willing to just up and say it, take sides.

Thats why I voted for Biden/Harris.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Marvel films present a broadly optimistic tech friendly capitalism friendly vision of the future. Basically Stans world view is marvel films. Interestingly you do get the mark fisher philosophy voiced in these films but only by the super villains. If he was alive he'd say you do hear the unspeakable truth spoken in these films but only the baddies are allowed to say it.
I didn't really get Black Panther cos the baddie wasn't that bad, basically a different approach to what Wakanda should do to the goodie - so you hear both sides of the argument and you sort of think "well they've actually both got a few good points, i dunno really" but you're somehow supposed to all plump for Black Panther's vision. In fact this kind of thing happens often enough in films but they make it easy for you by having the bad guy being really evil - torturing people, killing randomly or whatever, even murdering his underlings - so you know he's the baddie even if what he wants to do might have a bit of sense to it. But Killdozer didn't even do that did he? Not much anyway. It was the most ambiguous cartoon bad guy I've ever seen.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah it was an interesting movie in that respect - as much as Killmonger was arrogant, violent, didn't care about traditions, etc. his cause (or at least his motivation for believing in it) was arguably justified. I suppose you could say that Killmonger was destined to become a tyrant and only knew violence (although even this was complicated by the movie telling us that he'd been trained to think in this way by US Special Forces).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it wouldn't have taken much to switch it so that Killmonger (dozer whatever) was the good guy, just a slight change of emphasis, lots of impassioned scenes of him begging the elders to move with the times and a tyrannical black panther brutally putting down his attempted movement.
I mean I know you get all those revisionist takes on Karate Kid or whatever where they claim that actually the good guy was a bully who came into a new town and beat up a load of people who were enjoying themselves in their community karate club... but those only work if you skate over (or ignore) a few scenes and so on. With Black Panther it would actually be possible or near enough.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's my whole issue with the Marvel thing, I'm not so joyless as to say I don't want any stupid fun kids movies that adults can enjoy to exist, but when there are so so many it really does become a problem. When you hear of a new film in production and the name sounds kinda intriguing and then it says "is the name of the latest Marvel superhero" and my eyes glaze over. Maybe Marvel are in the unfortunate position where more films are necessary to create and reinforce the universe in which it all happens, but at the same time more films simultaneously undermine the uniqueness and interest value of every other film and of the universe as a whole.

luka

I think basically they are in the unfortunate position of having their movies bringing in a billion $ every time they put them out so they are forced to keep making them

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think basically they are in the unfortunate position of having their movies bringing in a billion $ every time they put them out so they are forced to keep making them
I was gonna say, it's an unfortunate position many would like to be in. I wonder if they'll get sick of it and deliberately self-sabotage like in The Producers, launch their new hero Gestapo Man or something.

luka

It is telling that Iron Man is the centre of the whole operation. I don't think he was any comic fans favourite character. But we are all ready to bow down before our tech bro overlords nowadays so it fits

IdleRich

IdleRich
I liked RD Jr when he was this hapless drug addict - like when he told the judge "no booze, no sniffy sniffy, what's the point?" - but then he reinvented himself as all serious and became the highest paid actor in hollywood etc such a waste.

luka

I was gonna say, it's an unfortunate position many would like to be in. I wonder if they'll get sick of it and deliberately self-sabotage like in The Producers, launch their new hero Gestapo Man or something.
I'd like it if they said we are not going to be an arm of American imperialism any more we are going rogue

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think he's always been a prick though. Have you seen his version of The Singing Detective? Obviously way inferior to the original, but anyway, there are these extras and he's talking about his acting and all the little tricks he does and he's going on about how hard it is to act like he does and he's just showing off about this terrible film. He's no Michael Gambon that's for sure.

luka

I reckon he does his own wardrobe for the films no paid professional would dress him in that manner

luka

Shapeless baggy denim bunching up at the ankles, long sleeved t-shirts, those sunglasses. Keep expecting to see him in an old guys rule t-shirt
image.jpeg