luka

You look at the Marvel character roster, and it's rubbish isn't it. Other than Spider-Man and The Hulk they don't have any truly iconic characters.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He was an interesting director - you would like Putney Swope. There is an advertising company and it has one token black member on the board - the chief exec dies and they need to choose a new boss, but they are not allowed to vote for themselves so they all vote for the one guy they're sure the others won't select and the black member becomes CEO.
I guess that Sr's "personal problems" are what started Jr on his road to drug hell though.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
do you guys know of any other untapped universes like marvel that are now technically possible to be turned into films?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fantasy things... you've got that adaptation coming of Wheel of Time series, I know that that is a single narrative rather than loads of strands, but some of these space opera ones you get a main story and then they write loads of other stories "in that universe".
Like Iain M Banks... what's it called? The Culture.

luka

One thing that's good about Marvel is it's not really the future, or if it is its only twenty years in the future. It's very close to what we have today in terms of tech and it's exactly what we have today in terms of geopolitics

catalog

I would like to see a marvel style treatment of the mahabharata, or characters from it, krishna, arjuna, all the rest. But it'll never happen, its too complicated really to pull off properly.

Or updates on the ray harryheusen style Greek epics, like a decent new hercules series of Jason or something.

But maybe both those sets of myths are actually spent now which is why we get marvel?

Was talking to a friend about this yesterday and I think one of the reasons I can't get on board with this is that it wasn't really in my experience as a child. I read the odd comic and watched some of the cartoons, but I was more into beano, buster, whizzer and chips. And ewoks and mysterious cities of gold for telly.

luka

Although at the same time I'm fairly certain $200,000,000 makes it impossible to make an interesting film.

luka

To spend a budget that big you need to be constantly spending it throughout the course of a 3 hour film, which precludes you from doing anything interesting

constant escape

winter withered, warm
One reason the Joker was interesting, because the spectacle was incarnate, rather than primarily visual. Psychopathology as spectacle.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Do Blood Meridian as ten x one hour animation epic like Waltz With Bashir, not some doss cunt who flies.

Animation dept, handle this please.

luka

do you guys know of any other untapped universes like marvel that are now technically possible to be turned into films?
You can split one thing into several things to make a 'universe'. Wu-Tang did this in a genius move. We could too. We could give Corpsey his own spin-off series etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But what about... I dunno, those Iain M Banks ones? They have a following no?
If this Dune film is a success then they could do a load of them I guess.
Actually you got all these Enders Game, Divergent, Hunger Games, Mazerunner etc etc "young adult" sci-fi things which I guess none of us are watching, but I assume they are very successful - they made the mistake of just being a single linear story though, limits their potential for infinite slightly different re-rubs.

luka

"
I get that a lot of people prefer the clay-footed heroes of Marvel. They identify with figures like Peter Parker and Tony Stark who look an awful lot like us, if we were way funnier than we are and had badass superpowers/lots of money. Marvel heroes don’t live in Metropolis or Gotham or Coast City, they live in New York and California. They’re, y’know, people. Marvel is about us.

Conversely, DC is about them. Characters like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman possess a deep sense of myth and scope. Ditto Sandman. Ditto Aquaman, even. I know Marvel has its cosmic thing going on, and while their universe seems expansive, DC’s often seems infinite. Especially when you bring in the gonzo stylings of Morrison or the deep literature of Moore or the iconography of Gaiman, DC has a greater tendency* to publish works that feel very nearly superhuman in and of themselves."