Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I might have to revisit 'Black Widow' cos I thought it was terrible but craner thinks its a masterpiece

I watched one of the earlier Marvels on a whim and got sucked back into watching most of the whole run up to and including Endgame. I was pleased to find that it still worked, esp. Captain America 2 and 3 and Infinity War/Endgame.

craner

Beast of Burden
After that set up they completely wasted Florence Pugh in Hawkeye (which was directed, by the way, by a lad from Cowbridge).

Some of the key themes in the saga are time, memory, grief and the meaning of 'family' and Black Widow dealt with all of this, albeit not as beautifully or effectively as WandaVision which, in its own way, was a minor masterpiece.

• Love
Reactions: sus

entertainment

One of the Harry Potter movies has a scene where an irritating fat lady inflates like a baloon and flows away into the sky and it's about the funniest thing ever put on film

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The third HP film is the one all film nerds say is the best and it is the best because it's directed by Alfonso Cuarón and he (quite rightly) cuts a load of fat from the plot to make it a good film. (Which was easier in this case cos the book wasn't absurdly long like all the books after.)

sus

This scene, to me, epitomizes the Guardians films. Upbeat, feel-good, classic rock 70s music playing while dozens of bad guys are mowed down mercilessly in slo-mo. Very Tarantino, and with the same sort of kickass sorrowless slaughter.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I took an ecstasy tablet to write about Avatar: Way of Water with my empathy ratcheted up but it's been two hours and I don't feel anything. Maybe I'm incapable of feeling empathy.
could be that the movie just isn't very good and it's amazing that you managed to extract as much insight from it as you already did in those other posts?

mvuent

Void Dweller
I remember that feeling when I was a kid of getting to the end of a book and being really sad that I wouldn't get to spend any more time with the characters. And then starting the book again to resurrect them.
lol yeah this happens to me a lot. restarting the book always felt a bit unsatisfying, like you can have your friends back but all their memories of hanging out w/ you are gone. what i really always wanted was for the story to continue. but of course if you keep getting your wish the author's more and more likely to drop the ball eventually—the magic gets lost and you wish you had been cut off sooner.

mvuent

Void Dweller
This is the beginning of many nods to the film’s audience of nuclear families: being an all-ages blockbuster, the characters are built to be relatable to each major movie-going demographic, and their problems, relationships, and interactions are partially reflections of modern family life. Me? I kinda hate this aspect of the movie, it breaks immersion and feels corny. But I’m willing to cede that it says something true about Sully’s lingering—perhaps unshakeable—earthly framework of interpretation, the way it naturalizes and domesticates all that’s mystical and strange about his new world.
i.e. it's not good and sus is doing the idiots who wrote it a massive favor by writing about it in a way that makes it seem intelligent