luka

and isnt it a bizaree piece of theatre. who scripted it? who paid for the camera man? whats the deal here?

luka

Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and Yemen, yet these did not elicit the pious posturing of Europeans and Americans as Russia-Ukraine has. The mindset remains the same: wars are justified and tolerated if led by the West because it supposedly has a noble mission.

This is reinforced by propaganda about liberating repressed peoples from fascists, communists, or religious fanatics, which helps the Western public disregard atrocities committed by their governments. This willful ignorance is also fueled by a deep-seated belief in the Western public's psyche that white lives are more precious than those of others living in shithole countries. The hypocrisy and racism of reporting on Russia-Ukraine has made this abundantly clear.

For the first time, this duplicity has been exposed to the global majority by social media and other tech-enabled forms of communication. Hundreds of thousands of videos and messages have reached every corner of the world, as Arabs, Indians, Chinese, Africans, South Americans have the scale of this hypocrisy made crystal clear.

This is helping to combat centuries of Western propaganda, which portrayed white Westerners as superior, righteous, civilizing and the natural leaders of the world -- a perpetuation of white privilege stemming from brutal colonial exploits.

The sheer influence of this system was previously only recognized by some, but now there is a global conversation taking place about why the West is depicting the civilian tragedy of this conflict as somehow incomparable to other conflicts. This discourse is leading hundreds of millions to new understandings of current events and to not simply accept the one-sided Western version.

No one denies that it is utterly horrifying and inexcusable that people are dying. But the virulent reactions by Western media, politicians and businesses have completely blanketed attempts to understand Russia's motives and the events leading up to the war. What about NATO expansionism and provocation, the preexisting separatist movements in Ukraine, or the white supremacy of Ukrainian politics? How can we achieve peace without understanding these key elements?

Yet other conflicts are passed over. Take Yemen, for example. NATO navy participated in the Saudi-led naval blockade, which humanitarian organizations have argued was the main influencing factor to the outbreak of famine, which 5 million faced during the civil war.

craner

Beast of Burden
Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and Yemen, yet these did not elicit the pious posturing of Europeans and Americans as Russia-Ukraine has. The mindset remains the same: wars are justified and tolerated if led by the West because it supposedly has a noble mission.

This is reinforced by propaganda about liberating repressed peoples from fascists, communists, or religious fanatics, which helps the Western public disregard atrocities committed by their governments. This willful ignorance is also fueled by a deep-seated belief in the Western public's psyche that white lives are more precious than those of others living in shithole countries. The hypocrisy and racism of reporting on Russia-Ukraine has made this abundantly clear.

For the first time, this duplicity has been exposed to the global majority by social media and other tech-enabled forms of communication. Hundreds of thousands of videos and messages have reached every corner of the world, as Arabs, Indians, Chinese, Africans, South Americans have the scale of this hypocrisy made crystal clear.

This is helping to combat centuries of Western propaganda, which portrayed white Westerners as superior, righteous, civilizing and the natural leaders of the world -- a perpetuation of white privilege stemming from brutal colonial exploits.

The sheer influence of this system was previously only recognized by some, but now there is a global conversation taking place about why the West is depicting the civilian tragedy of this conflict as somehow incomparable to other conflicts. This discourse is leading hundreds of millions to new understandings of current events and to not simply accept the one-sided Western version.

No one denies that it is utterly horrifying and inexcusable that people are dying. But the virulent reactions by Western media, politicians and businesses have completely blanketed attempts to understand Russia's motives and the events leading up to the war. What about NATO expansionism and provocation, the preexisting separatist movements in Ukraine, or the white supremacy of Ukrainian politics? How can we achieve peace without understanding these key elements?

Yet other conflicts are passed over. Take Yemen, for example. NATO navy participated in the Saudi-led naval blockade, which humanitarian organizations have argued was the main influencing factor to the outbreak of famine, which 5 million faced during the civil war.

This stuff is only "passed over" by lazy people who don't by attention.

luka

i read the headline and it seemed to say whites only take war seriously when its being waged on other whites, which seems a reasonable proposition, with the proviso that we dont consider yugoslavians proper whites.

craner

Beast of Burden
Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen and Syria. I would have added Africa to that list. Also, pre-Feb all the countries we now talk about more, but also the Caucasus and Central Asian ones. And Wales.

luka

Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen and Syria. I would have added Africa to that list. Also, pre-Feb all the countries we now talk about more, but also the Caucus and Central Asian ones. And Wales.
whos drunk me or you cos i dont understand that. or do i need to read the article to understand it, cos im not doing that

craner

Beast of Burden
whos drunk me or you cos i dont understand that. or do i need to read the article to understand it, cos im not doing that

I am a bit drunk and I don't understand what I wrote either. I convinced Jim nuclear war was going to start tomorrow so we made a drinking pact for tonight.

shakahislop

had access to a tv today. every time i see this stuff on tv i find it pretty emotional. when i read it as text, it's a much colder experience.

luka

i guess some people would say sufis racism is more benign cos its not western chauvisnism and based on the universailty of liberal values, but tbh i dont buy that argument

shakahislop

i guess some people would say sufis racism is more benign cos its not western chauvisnism and based on the universailty of liberal values, but tbh i dont buy that argument
i don't know anything about sufi but occasionally he likes posts that i made a month ago and therefore, between that and the name, i take him for some kind of a mystic who transcends time

luka

i don't know anything about sufi but occasionally he likes posts that i made a month ago and therefore, between that and the name, i take him for some kind of a mystic who transcends time
he said your view of the middle east is a cosseted NGO white bread view but you are more right than wrong, most of the time. high praise by his standards.