Overeducated sports writers log

IdleRich

IdleRich
Arms flailing, pulling back the guys who are trying to pull him, jumping scything tackles from either side at the very last minute, stumbling over the ball and then somehow pulling off some incomprehensible trick to beat the last two men and getting the ball of his feet to flick it past the paralysed keeper.

version

Messi is strangley dull to watch. Ronaldo is exciting to watch. Explosive. Messi is like watching a gerbil race around its cage.
Nah, not at all. Ronaldo's the footballing equivalent of Top Gear music. The kind of player people talk about purely in terms of stats. How fast he can sprint, how high he can jump, how many goals he scores. It's like watching the T-1000 play football.

Messi's the only player I've ever seen who has at least one moment in any given game where I'll ask myself how he just did that. I've never had that with Ronaldo. He's freakishly athletic and scores a lot of goals, but there's no magic to his game.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Size and physiology differentiate the two players and their styles. Messi is short like Diego, but not as muscled probably because Diego had Serie A defenders to claw at his legs. Messi has never really had the same levels of kickings.

Someone explain cricket please. I’ve even watched games at Trent Bridge, but those games went on for four/five days. That’s a lot of days in the same way golf takes the piss with course sizes.

luka

Size and physiology differentiate the two players and their styles. Messi is short like Diego, but not as muscled probably because Diego had Serie A defenders to claw at his legs. Messi has never really had the same levels of kickings.

Someone explain cricket please. I’ve even watched games at Trent Bridge, but those games went on for four/five days. That’s a lot of days in the same way golf takes the piss with course sizes.

The key is all day drinking, not maniacal, easy, slow, pleasant fug, with weed too if possible, and impossible heat, Australian, Indian , West Indian, Pakistani heat

luka

Doing fuck all all day except getting gently wasted, barely paying attention to the telly where the men in white v necks are lazing around with zinc cream on their noses

IdleRich

IdleRich

I liked to watch it with my grandpa when I was a kid. I suppose he used to go to Trent Bridge when he was young but when I knew him we would just sit on the sofa together and watch the test from the start drinking cups of tea and eating scones and stuff.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Would have been more fun getting wankered I'm sure but he wasn't that kind of guy. At least not in his nineties.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
When we went the entire objective seemed to be whether you could stay at that 8pints level of pissed the whole day.

Cricket in Oz under that sun, no wonder they developed Shane Warne trundling in.

version

Henry Blofeld came up in one of those Tom McCarthy essays. McCarthy loves him. He had him come down to the Serpentine Gallery for something.