Overeducated sports writers log

version

I prefer foreign football. I hate the English attitude to the game. Can't stand all that bollocks about "passion", "getting stuck in" etc. I hate the gamesmanship in foreign football too though. The football's often better, but there's too much diving.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To me the best thing about football is the mixture of philosophies and how one can beat the other. I quite like it when a Jack Charlton or whatever comes along and starts beating better teams (who will moan about it of course) with a deliberately simplistic style. I don't like the football but the story.

version

To me the best thing about football is the mixture of philosophies and how one can beat the other. I quite like it when a Jack Charlton or whatever comes along and starts beating better teams (who will moan about it of course) with a deliberately simplistic style. I don't like the football but the story.
Depends. I get really frustrated watching teams like Mourinho's Inter or Simeone's Atletico at their most cynical. I don't mind reactive football, but when it's taken to an extreme like that it's just irritating. Likewise when Spain took the possession game too far and started playing without a striker. I don't want to watch 90 minutes of sideways passing.

luka

I don't want football to be an art form I want it to be an intense struggle for supremacy. Everything fought for, tooth and nail.

luka

That's what I liked about the old heroic English defensive efforts. Strong, willing men, fighting their hearts out, desperate to hang on, and failing to hang on. That's where the drama is.

luka

Don't want to be sitting there with a cigerette holder and a glass of sherry ooh what a delightful pass. I want to be on the edge of my seat. All twisted up with tension.

version

I just find that depressing. I want to see people pinging beautiful passes around, the opposition chasing ghosts, an entertaining strategy played to perfection. Pep's Barca, Mourinho's Madrid when they won the league in 11/12, Heynckes' Bayern, Sarri's Napoli, Klopp's Liverpool and Dortmund. These are the teams which stand out to me.

version

The English suspicion of technique and complexity plugs directly into Brexit. The desire to show managers like Pep who's boss when they come to the Premiership. It's just embarrassing.

version

All the talk about how he wouldn't be able to do it in England. How England isn't soft like Spain and Germany then he obliterates the league within a couple of seasons.

😂

luka

I need the game to grip my whole being, completely involved and living every moment, not just appealing to some inner decadent aesthete in yellow silk pyjamas

luka

Tied in knots, hardly able to watch. That's what football is for. Not for some detached airy appreciation of 'technique' like you're watching a rhythmic gymnastics routine.

version

I just find that stressful and question why I'm watching it. Too grounded and mundane, like watching daytime TV. A direct extension of what I said a while back about finding England completely depressing.

luka

The whole point of sport is that it is a contest. That's the heart of the thing and the source of the drama.