blissblogger

no, conceptronica is highbrow - structurally, in terms of its cultural economy, it's a sort of junior wing to official high culture. some of those festivals on the continent have funding from the EU.

blissblogger

there is something analogous - it's not the same thing, but it mirrors the structure - in the relationship between highbrow and lowbrow and the relationship between the aristocracy and the lower classes.

Which is that they get on better with each other than do with the bourgeoisie in the middle.

historically, the very posh and the peasant had similar passions, like gambling, drinking, hunting etc.

whereas your bourgeoisie was the class that invented puritanism, methodism, teetotalism,commerce, investment - a cautious, prudent, resources-conserving approach to life.

you see it with horse racing, that intermingling of the very posh and the lumpen at the race course

i've observed this is life too - intense friendships i've seen between actual nobs (as in the nobility) and people from very working class backgrounds. there's a similar attitude to pleasure, a live-for-the-moment recklessness - unlike your careful middle class types like myself who come from what i would characterise as an uncomfortably off background, where there's a background hum of financial uncertainty behind the bourgeois facade.

your aristos don't give a fuck because they have everything and were raised entitled; your proper proles don't give a fuck because long-term, providential thinking doesn't make sense, you live for the weekend

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a musical counterpart to this aristo / peasant thing, would be composers like Bartok going out into the Hungarian countryside and notating folk songs and stealing ideas from them to invigorate their work.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
no, conceptronica is highbrow - structurally, in terms of its cultural economy, it's a sort of junior wing to official high culture. some of those festivals on the continent have funding from the EU.

Good point. I'm still thinking it as being neo-idm, and idm was nothing but middlebrow, but perhaps it's best to think of it as idm as an influence and not operating in the cultural economy of idm.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Which is that they get on better with each other than do with the bourgeoisie in the middle
peasants were, unlike the bourgeoisie, materially dependent on and/or under the direct control of the aristocracy

so there may be a confluence of tastes, but they're not shared as equals, nor the friendships (such as they are) friendships of equals

i.e. a lord's relationship with his gamekeepers, the aristocrat taste for/romanticization of things like boxing and horse racing, etc

whereas the bourgeoisie by definition had their own resources and thus existed outside the control, and tastes, of the lords

it's a tension throughout the 1700, 1800, early 1900s so common as to be cliche - penniless/declining gentility and nouveau riche merchants

the horror that someone like Lord Cardigan would have felt at having anything to do with "trade"

related to the idea that "taste" is something that ingrained rather than learned or - more to the point - created

padraig (u.s.)

a cautious, prudent, resources-conserving approach to life
this is a good insight on the aesthetic of middlebrow

add to it also a distaste for the extravagant, rococco, unnecessary, frivolous

it has to something to do with the rationalization of time - as you say, rather than not caring (highbrow) or living for the weekend (lowbrow)

padraig (u.s.)

there's also an omnipresent ersatz element - as corpsey said, that which strives to be but is not (highbrow) and highlights its falseness in doing so

the literal ersatz - mass reproductions of famous paintings, etc

there's definitely a relation between middlebrow and kitsch here but I would have to think on it to tease it out

perhaps kitsch as ironic, or sincere, or both, reclamation of the middlebrow aesthetic

padraig (u.s.)

the concept of "middlebrow" unsurprisingly arrives with modernism, the culmination of "art" becoming more accessible to the (bourgeoisie) masses

it's the ultimate pejorative dismissal, a means to distinguish between good and bad (or, meaningful and hollow) cultural expression

it's also a means of remystifying art that so that actual artists and appreciators of art can get on with making and appreciating Real Art

i.e. by definition no True Artist or consumer of art would ever self-identify as middlebrow, just as no cool person would self-identify as "hipster"

padraig (u.s.)

it's also intrinsically tied to technology - you can't have middlebrow without mass reproduction and distribution of art

(and to education (or perhaps, cultural penetration) - middlebrow also requires be mass ability to "appreciate" art, or at least belief in said ability)

it requires a level of cultural homogeneity that has been dismantled, possibly fatally, by the Internet

this idea of striving - all I see are a literally endless succession of YouTube ads

the only striving - at least of the dominant cultural paradigm - is to sell more, be it of products, ourselves, our dreams

middlebrow requires the space to have something that is appreciated solely for its cultural significance

padraig (u.s.)

it's true that the middlebrow, or any definition of art, is ultimately about audience perception

but that's a truism for all cultural expression

time inevitably sands off all rough edges of the immediately shocking

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Terry Farley being a fucking chelsea fan says it all though. archetypical middlebrow cultural gatekeeping. even that ruined paul oakenfold his family were guners. he rebelled against everything good, reggae, soul, garage and jungle, in life and went for nazi trance like a loyal Chelsea fan. twat.

entertainment

Is conceptronica middlebrow?

If you think that conceptronica pretends to be more that it is, then you could call it middle-brow.

I did some homework on the subject and Virginia Woolf's denunciation of middlebrow seem to hit some of the same points as the objections against conceptronica. She referred to as 'middle-brows' those who didn't care about the intrinsic value of art but used it to decorate their lives and as social currency.

The middlebrows don't care about the things they get from the art itself or the attributes that makes it highbrow, only that it appears highbrow. The market value. For something like conceptronica, that puts so much effort into appearing high-brow, a similar objection is def there for the making, and it has been made.

padraig (u.s.)

let me just say - in re that tag - that while I'm not, never have been, nor ever will be a Marxist, I'm generally happy to be identified with Eric Hobsbawm

undoubtedly he never truly came to terms with failures of state communism, and even if he did, I wholeheartedly disagree with his ends justifies means arguments

he also wrote much great history, made the right people angry, and never backed down an inch to anyone; it's not a bad legacy, and it looks better the worse late capitalism gets

if I really wanted to Hobsbawm you I'd work in a very belabored metaphor for transgressive art as social banditry, or whatever

padraig (u.s.)

those who didn't care about the intrinsic value of art but used it to decorate their lives and as social currency
the problem then as now is there's no way to prove what people actually do or don't care about

further there's no way to separate caring about "art itself" from "market value"; they are parts of the same indivisible whole

the market may be for social rather than financial currency, as you say, or both, but there is always a market value

middlebrow in the Woolf sense strikes me as pure snobbery dressed up as defense of Real Art

look at these boors, appreciating art in the wrong way, making art with the wrong intent