version

in the sense he meant it, (most of) what he said is defensible, although the way he chose to say it is completely indefensible

I still don't agree with him, because there's no way I can ascribe anything I would recognize as artistic intent to the perpetrators of 9/11

he seems to mean an act of creative destruction (as we hear about all the time in a TechCrunchDisrupt sense) driven by human will

I see nothing creative in it at all, just destruction

It did birth a lot of things, but it just feels 'wrong' to ascribe artistic merit to an act of terrorism, even if you can see the argument. It's crossing the rubicon.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It did birth a lot of things, but it just feels 'wrong' to ascribe artistic merit to an act of terrorism, even if you can see the argument.
I agree

but I do think it's an argument that can be made, tho hopefully much better and more thoughtfully than Stockhausen did

only for intent tho, not merit. merit is a completely different thing.

padraig (u.s.)

if a serial killer views his killings as art, does it make those killings somehow worse?

and/or, does it devalue what most other people would recognize as art - i.e., not murder?

I don't think so, but someone could disagree

just because a serial killer views his killing as art, doesn't mean you or I or anyone else agrees with him

padraig (u.s.)

it's unfortunate that public discourse on the relationship between violence and the aestheticization of violence is generally so hysterical in this country (and the UK, I'd imagine)

because it's a serious topic that deserves serious discussion, by anyone who cares about violence in the society they live in

rather than the usual lazy blaming of TV, video games, etc for societal ills

Leo

does the middlebrow involve conscious or unconscious striving? could be both.

I know people with thoroughly middlebrow tastes who sincerely think they are in fact informed and, in their minds, ahead of the cultural curve...and in a way they are, compared to the masses. the masses go to see lady gaga or bruce Springsteen, while the middlebrow choice is, say, Radiohead. lots of "average" people who think they're the shit because they're into David Byrne as opposed to Taylor swift.

but I also know folks with middlebrow tastes who seem perennially insecure, conscious enough to see themselves as cultural imposters who might be able to talk a good game but deep down inside know they aren't actually on the cutting edge. they are the ones who are striving.

padraig (u.s.)

I would think middlebrow creation of art would by definition have to involve conscious - tho not necessarily well-articulated - striving

whereas having middlebrow tastes could be either

"middlebrow" is inherently subjective and its' defining element is one person disparaging another person's work or taste

while you see Radiohead or David Byrne as middlebrow, someone at some higher level of cultural erudition might view your, or my, taste as middlebrow

version

it's unfortunate that public discourse on the relationship between violence and the aestheticization of violence is generally so hysterical in this country (and the UK, I'd imagine)

because it's a serious topic that deserves serious discussion, by anyone who cares about violence in the society they live in

rather than the usual lazy blaming of TV, video games, etc for societal ills

The Stockhausen thing feels like something a fair few people probably understand on some level, whether they agree with it or not, but which they feel they absolutely have to come out strongly against for fear of being branded and reduced to some sort of terrorist sympathiser. There's an old BBC profile of Ballard where he says as much. He's talking about terrorism then quickly states that no, he doesn't think it's a good thing because he knows a bunch of people will be like "Oh, this is the guy that loves car crashes. Now he loves terrorism!"

padraig (u.s.)

calling something else out - unprompted I mean, not as here when we're discussing it - as middlebrow implies insecurity about one's own art or taste

version

I know people with thoroughly middlebrow tastes who sincerely think they are in fact informed and, in their minds, ahead of the cultural curve...

The most glaring example of this I've seen online is people whose favourite films are essentially the IMDB top 100 sneering at others and telling them "stick to Michael Bay and Transformers" when they dare to criticise Magnolia or Goodfellas or whatever.

padraig (u.s.)

something a fair few people probably understand on some level, whether they agree with it or not, but which they feel they absolutely have to come out strongly against
absolutely, and especially in the media political-emotional climate right after 9/11. as I said, he was a tactless fool in that regard.

version

There's an old thread on terrorism and the media, maybe we should revive it.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

terrorism and the media
it's not a new idea, that there's no such thing as modern "terrorism" without a media to cover it

the Panther Moderns in Neuromancer, for example

or to bring in something topical (and thoroughly, deafeningly middlebrow), The Joker