WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The inevitable movement of employers to the EU was always part of this con’s ironies. And it will continue, not that Britons will actually down tools and strike. Fuck that, too much buttery sodomy to be had which this great nation was built on

As for KFC, who cares if it runs out of whatever it is they dish up as food, ie seagull? Same with certain supermarkets (but wait, remember the Great Loo Roll Rush of 2020? we need supermarkets)

Occasionally a culture needs no lube sodomy to remind it of cause/effect, “but you said you’d use butter”

IdleRich

IdleRich
The inevitable movement of employers to the EU was always part of this con’s ironies. And it will continue, not that Britons will actually down tools and strike. Fuck that, too much buttery sodomy to be had which this great nation was built on
But ironically and conversely, despite their claims before it actually mattered, no fucker is gonna do the menial jobs such as fruit picking, at the wages on offer, which are now not being done cos the people who were doing them have all been scared away.

Leo

Do you mean all Jacob Rees-Mogg's friends aren't lining up to work in poultry processing plants?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Before the vote there were a load of claims that if we brexited and there was a shortage of immigrants to pick fruit, the British unemployed would pick up the slack and it would be win win. But surprisingly people didn't want to suddenly move to the countryside miles from where they lived and where they knew no'one, just to pick fruit for 3p an hour, so it's all just rotting in the fields.
Although that's probably academic now cos even if they did pick it there would be no trucks to deliver it anyway. So... that's, er, good, I suppose.

Leo

picking crops is backbreaking work. at least it wouldn't be in the beating-hot sun like here, although I don't imagine doing it in the rain is much fun either.

Last edited:

william_kent

it appears it's not just the UK that is suffering - people in the US are complaining as well - there is now a whole sub-reddit dedicated to reporting shortages - oh, the horror, only sparkling water available to buy in London...

version

Before the vote there were a load of claims that if we brexited and there was a shortage of immigrants to pick fruit, the British unemployed would pick up the slack and it would be win win. But surprisingly people didn't want to suddenly move to the countryside miles from where they lived and where they knew no'one, just to pick fruit for 3p an hour, so it's all just rotting in the fields.
Although that's probably academic now cos even if they did pick it there would be no trucks to deliver it anyway. So... that's, er, good, I suppose.
It's on the farmers too. Apparently a fair few people have applied, but they (currently) aren't as easily exploited as migrant labourers so they keep getting turned away by farmers who can't or won't offer better pay and conditions.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's on the farmers too. Apparently a fair few people have applied, but they (currently) aren't as easily exploited as migrant labourers so they keep getting turned away by farmers who can't or won't offer better pay and conditions.
I'm sure some farmers are gratuitously shitty employers, but I'd lean more towards "can't" than "won't" in most cases, given that it's notoriously hard to make a farm run at a profit, and the subsidies the farmers are getting from the government are only 3/4 of what they were getting from the EU under the CAP.

Of course, if it turns out Brits might actually think about manual farm labour if you pay them loads more than migrant workers from Poland etc. typically get paid, then that pretty much explodes the idea that mass immigration doesn't deflate wages for low-skilled work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno how high the wages were compared to what the farmers could afford to pay, how tight margins are and so on, but it does seem that brexit has pulled a load of potential workers out of the system and basically broken it, for the time being at least. Fewer workers, higher wages, less fruit and no doubt more expensive. Almost every person in the chain has lost out.

woops

is not like other people
Happy Birthday @IdleRich !!! !!!]

1409959005359_wps_21_Nigel_Farage_Leader_of_UK.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

"Brexit is a bit shit but we could try and make it less shit and then it would be more gooder. I am a genius."

IdleRich

IdleRich
That was the theory I guess... if there is anyone out there with an HGV licence and who can also pick fruit they will soon be richer than Bezos.