wild greens

Climate migration will be a huge issue in the next 20/30 years, maybe sooner. I'd think that recent plunges into extreme weather will only serve to accelerate planning towards it, seeing as no-one is really willing to get a handle on the problem.

Whether it is the "right" view or not, Brexit and location will certainly factor heavily in this scenario.

luka

brexit being motivated (unconsciously) by climate change and the recognition that there will be unfathomably large displacements of people very soon and we have already decided to raise the drawbridge and let them die.

luka

britain is an island, and europe isnt. we dont want a shared migration policy with a place which cant protect its borders in the same way.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think population movement within the UK will be interesting too-

possibly an exodus from cities post-COVID for office workers who work from home
other changes to the labour market - will people move to fill vacant posts in the supply chain (warehouses, lorries, etc)?
various infrastucture things like HS1&2
more flooding making some areas less sensible to live in (or possibly leading to other infrastructure like flood defences, so they end up being more desirable)

wild greens

Sorry, I wasn’t saying it wasn’t true and I wasn’t asking for the usual load of shit from you, I just wanted @wild greens to expand on his comment.

Its just an idle thought but i have had it for a while -

I don't think climate change was a conscious choice in the build-up to Brexit- i think it was a cash grab and a tax dodge- but increased border control/"security" is certainly a huge factor of Brexit and decreased migration into the UK is inevtiable as a result.

There will be massive climate migration if current trends continue and droughts become more commonplace, or temperatures rise to inhospitable levels, and southern Europe continues to heat up

Whereas the migration within EU would have been slightly easier before, it is increasingly difficult to get into the UK and it will only become more hostile as time goes on.

So it is my opinion that climate migration into the UK will be less viable for the unfortunate bastards who are stuck in inclement temperatures than it would be into, say, Northern Germany despite similar temperatures.

Though we will have large problems with increased wind and rain, our current more moderate climate will remain hospitable longer than say, Southern Italy

We might get a handle on this global warming which makes all this irrelevant, but it doesn't seem likely at the moment

I would expect rhetoric against climate refugees to be a hot topic amid the "right-wing" in years to come, and as I cant see any political change in the country, a huge lack of acceptance from the tories too

I might be wrong

version

Also, I think it's noteworthy how the Mail has suddenly discovered project fear, in fact there is loads of stuff going on way beyond 'brexit is shit' if you cared to look...
The Mail on Sunday and The Daily Mail are two different papers; Geordie Greig, who's now editor of The DM, was editor of The Mail on Sunday during the referendum and was a remainer; Paul Dacre's the Brexit-y one who was in charge of The DM. They don't get along.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know... I just couldn't be bothered to split hairs - I wanted to avoid writing out what I am writing out now at greater length - served me right for trying to cut corners i suppose.

So, to be more... correct I suppose, this is what I should have said - of course we all know that papers have different editors at different times and different writers and so on, which does go a long way towards explaining the apparently schizophrenic differences we see in any paper, sometimes even on the same day. And yet we do ascribe personalities to papers, as with companies and countries and so we do tend to notice and remark on things which are seemingly out of character.

Yes now Grieg edits the Mail and has been called a traitor by their readership pretty much since the beginning. Dunno who edits MOS now to be honest but I thought I read they clashed with Grieg and took a more brexity stance, possibly more out of hating him than principle.

Either way this was a weird story in the MOS not just cos of the slant but particularly cos it seemed to be mentioning all these elements of project fear as though they were a) completely new and b) they had been discovered by fearless investigative reporting on the part of the MOS. All very strange... several very crude attempts to rewrite history in one go. And to what end?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Completely irrelevant but every time I think of Dacre I have a little chuckle as I remember Private Eye's claim that - due to their liberal sprinkling with the c-word - DM staff referred to his morning briefings as the vagina monologues.
Pretty much the only time I think of him and smile though, I get the impression that he is a thoroughly nasty piece of work. He had to be coached to appear more human for the Levenson thing, but apparently it was hard cos he is just completely filled with "cold, hard rage all the way to his core".

What happened with the media tsar thing? Was he knocked back but not forever? I truly cannot think of anyone worse.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Britain can always fall back to beans on toast. There’s no flour? Tighten our belts. Finagle our homes. Relaunch secondary moderns. Pay more for fuck all

A nation wearing sunglasses where collective smiles crack open into Lynchian portholes. Stress fractures from clenched jaws give way to exploding molars. A dentist checkup costs 5£k. Get stinking drunk and twat loads of gak. Wake up to no milk because the entire Farmers Union has committed mass suicide. Shirk it off like a bad day

Average house prices reach 4£million and with inflation even higher, the pound crumbles eviscerating any/all gains. Drink more, hoofing petrol rags on the quiet. Everyone looks for Irish ancestry, “think my grandfather’s great great uncle’s cousin was from Drogheda, may we come in?“

Ireland builds a wall across the Irish Sea to thwart waves of British migrants attempting crossings in coracles. Monty Don shoots himself live on BBC’s Gardeners Pittance. Civil war breaks out in Kent

Finally, with all the irony of the ending of Das Boat, first gen Covid vaccines begin to manifest ultra aggressive cancers in nearly everyone who got jabbed. 80% of the population die by 2023. Time for a cup of tea and some heroin dear

IdleRich

IdleRich
But problem with that last bit is that - much to brexiters surprise and anger - Yorkshire tea is not grown and made in Yorkshire or anywhere in the UK. Sadly that's not even a joke, that was a major disappointment to some.
Anyway, today, not for the first time, I read someone describing brexit as a slow puncture rather than a blow-out, which has the problem that there will likely be no single, revelatory, huge incident which would have the effect of opening everyone's eyes to the pure idiocy of brexit - on the other hand it does mean - I would think - that there is more time before permanent and devastating damage is done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The slow-puncture thing rings true anyway. In fact it's what I predicted myself I think. Just everything getting slightly shitter and more expensive... less choice, slower deliveries, businesses moving abroad and so on and so forth. This is all happening but more so than I expected.

Also the sheer range of things affected is enormous and - to me - surprising, I guess each sector knew the problems they would face but simply struggled to be heard amongst the reports of massive problems from the bigger industries.

It really seems at the moment that the UK is divided into two groups; one group that recognises that these problems are down to brexit and which is trying to keep highlighting this and making it impossible to deny; and the other group which also recognises that the problems are down to brexit but is lying to itself and everyone else, sticking its fingers in its ears and just ignoring reality and hoping people will stop moaning.

To me it's extremely important to keep highlighting the problems, keep showing that they are down to brexit, keep it in the news, keep agitating and make everyone understand that it is all unnecessary and self-inflicted; perhaps it is true that simple rational arguments and facts are not hugely successful at persuading blind faith fanatics but, given that the margins are so small (in fact there is probably a rejoin majority already) you only need to get a few people thinking "I am really fed up of not being able to order my favourite thing from the EU and paying more for everything in Tesco and finding that we can't afford to go to Spain on holiday so we go to France and the queues are so long and ..." and realiseing that what they are fed up of is brexit... and then they are a rejoiner.

The alternative - just forgetting about it, letting it slide, sitting down and shutting up. Just giving up in other words. I can't countenance that and I am glad to see, every time I turn on the news or check any message or newspaper comnents, that there are loads and loads of others who feel the same and so the debate rages everywhere it can.

john eden

male pale and stale
The debate rages on! The rage! People talk of nothing else! Never before has the fate of salad eaters in Derby so utterly gripped the nation.

But did the people vote for parties standing on a Remain/Return platform? No, somehow they absolutely did not.

So perhaps there is a new cohesive political project to rejoin the EU - like the mirror image of James Goldsmith's Referendum Party in the early 1990s? From small acorns? Nope?

But do not worry my friends, there is rage and oh so many words.

Maybe if there is enough of this rage, the people will erupt into an insurrectionist movement that takes to the streets and seizes power? Yes that must be the plan. Rage and Marina Hyde columns will transform into an anti-parliamentary shit-kicking revolution that will get us to rejoining the neoliberal trading block with increasingly fortified borders that we love so much.

Comrades! To arms!