Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He is, in a way, much worse than Trump, I think. Partly because he's not obviously deranged, senile or a drug addict, which makes him more culpable, but also because so many people seem to believe he's fundamentally benign, or at least harmless - a ruddy top bloke, and all that. Whereas I doubt even most of Trump's biggest fans would say he was a "good" man, exactly. They think he's a great man, but they know he's fundamentally selfish and spiteful, because he's totally upfront about it - he is, in some respects, a uniquely honest politician - and that's why they think he's great.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the way his awfulness is framed as "mere" ineptitude and incompetence, it masks the active malice at the core of his Government, it's all so sickening
I want to just hate him and the rest of the pricks in charge but so many ordinary people, who are getting fucked over with the rest of us, just want to wave their little flags and chant hooray and I end up hating them too. And then I get this nagging feeling that I'm a Smug Liberal Elite and therefore part of the problem and the reason fucking Brexit is happening and all the rest of it. Anyone else get this? It's so fucking draining.

version

This is another aspect of the failure of communication I was talking about in the Brooklyn demonology thread. It's ceaseless. Everything breaks down. Nobody really understands each other.

vimothy

yurp
I want to just hate him and the rest of the pricks in charge but so many ordinary people, who are getting fucked over with the rest of us, just want to wave their little flags and chant hooray and I end up hating them too. And then I get this nagging feeling that I'm a Smug Liberal Elite and therefore part of the problem and the reason fucking Brexit is happening and all the rest of it. Anyone else get this? It's so fucking draining.
but there arent any right answers are there? it doesnt really matter whose in charge

IdleRich

IdleRich
Surely not?
Well, we've had the 8pm curfew on buying booze since June or something, but some shops are dependent on selling late night alcohol so they keep doing it if you knock on their door and they know you, I mean you don't have to say "The eagle flies at 7pm on Saturday" or anything.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but there arent any right answers are there? it doesnt really matter whose in charge
Uh, maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I think some other governments we've had would have fucked things up a bit less badly than this current lot. Probably even some previous Tory governments. Shit just goes from bad to worse and nobody responsible ever suffers the slightest consequence. Sure there have always been shysters, liars and cheats, but I remember when people who got caught with their pants down or their hands in the till either had the decency to resign or got the shove. Seems like a distant memory now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what's the main error of the current govt?
I haven't got the time to go into detail - maybe Rich can take over for this one, I'm going to bed - but for starters, spaffing £12B on a 'test and trace' system outsourced to private contractors that has been almost a complete failure, when it could have been far more effective and done at a tiny fraction of the cost by being organised via GP practices, entirely within the remit of the DoH/NHS.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Wasted 3 and half years and countless billions faffing over Brexit. Then reality rather than abstraction hit.

Even now they can’t expand the non-COVID sector of the NHS to keep minor ops going, oncology appointments delayed endlessly and on and on....

I’m not advocating they should all be shot, but, you know, the ancients knew certain sacrifices were necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.