Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Well of course there is. And there's a corresponding reaction from people who have a teenagers conception of freedom and can't accept the idea of limits to action based around a notion of the common good or even the common will. The teenage individualist notion of freedom. You can't tell me what to do. Both these types of people exist, and in large numbers. But who cares.
I was saying to Kumar how the virus literalises all sorts of arguments and metaphors and models and what was at the forefront of my mind was the way it undermines the libertarian individualist position. The extreme arguments for untrammelled individual freedom are exploded by the virus. Which is why it took care to infect Rand Paul.

You just can't get free of other people. They're like chewing gum stuck to your shoe.

View attachment 2825

Why? Partially because the available language of ethics is monopolized by emphasis on subjective moral intentionality and a self-regarding protagonism for which “I” am the piloting moral agent of outcomes.

The pandemic forced another kind of ethics. The Idealist distinction between zoē and bios as modes of “life” around which Agamben builds his biopolitical critique is a conceit that snaps like a twig in the face of the epidemiological view of society. Why did we wear masks? Because of a sense that our inner thoughts would manifest externally and protect us? Or was it because we recognize ourselves as biological organisms among others capable of harming and being harmed as such?

worth a look

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

Why? Partially because the available language of ethics is monopolized by emphasis on subjective moral intentionality and a self-regarding protagonism for which “I” am the piloting moral agent of outcomes.

The pandemic forced another kind of ethics. The Idealist distinction between zoē and bios as modes of “life” around which Agamben builds his biopolitical critique is a conceit that snaps like a twig in the face of the epidemiological view of society. Why did we wear masks? Because of a sense that our inner thoughts would manifest externally and protect us? Or was it because we recognize ourselves as biological organisms among others capable of harming and being harmed as such?

worth a look
No need to remake society if China would let the WHO know of outbreaks in good time and the WHO would actually do something about it

luka

im still really intrigued by what going on in china they seem to have sorted everything out even before any vaccine was invented pictures of massive water-park parties in Wuhan etc.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

sufi

lala

worth a look
thanks for that linky - i'd like to hear from bb's colleague at san diego uni - the cyborg dona haraway -
1627560307506.pnghas she written anything about the pandemic i wonder?

Last edited:

luka

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 4h4 hours ago

@curlyentity in your opinion will #DEPOPULATIONLOTTERY be administered fairly and randomly or will some mysteriously'' slip the net?
Expand
Favorite

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 18m18 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino define depopulation lottery? So that I can better answer your question :)
11:57 AM - 15 Oct 2014 · Details
Hide conversation
Retweet
Favorite
Tweet text
Reply to @curlyentity

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 12m12 minutes ago

@curlyentity there will be a lottery. everyone recieves a ticket. some tickets say DEATH others, STERILISATION.
Expand
Favorite
Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 11m11 minutes ago

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 3m3 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino I believe that there will be depopulation schemes implemented, but surely not that??? Has there been talks of it coming?
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 6m6 minutes ago

@curlyentity there has been whispers of it for some time yes. after all, ïts the fairest way"

@curlyentity the claim is that it is all random and bill gates is as likely to get DEATH as you and I. beleive that?
Expand
Favorite
ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 3m3 minutes ago

@curlyentity everything will be administered in as 'humane'a way as possible, you can be assured of that

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 4m4 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino but since when have the elites considered fairness or ethics? They will just do it, nuclear blast/apocalyptic weather

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 1m1 minute ago

@curlyentity its called keeping up appearances
Expand

Favorite

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 25s26 seconds ago

@curlyentity the lottery is rigged. trouble makers will be sterilised or executed.

https://deepmeditationtherapy.blogspot.co.uk/

@Mr. Tea do you think everything is cool right now? Nothing a little "off"? Everything being done solely in the interests of public health? No other agendas whatsoever?

I want to hear from a genuine Guardianista about how they see things. I'll even unblock you briefly to read your reply.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No need to remake society if China would let the WHO know of outbreaks in good time and the WHO would actually do something about it
Would the China that delayed telling the WHO (and the outside world in general) about the initial outbreak be the same China that allegedly exaggerated the severity of it just to mess with all our heads?

And I'm not sure what you think the WHO actually can "do", other than offer advice to governments. Or what you think it should be able to do, given your apparent hatred of any conceivable form of authority.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@Mr. Tea do you think everything is cool right now? Nothing a little "off"? Everything being done solely in the interests of public health? No other agendas whatsoever?

I want to hear from a genuine Guardianista about how they see things. I'll even unblock you briefly to read your reply.
Well I do think vaccine passports represent a potentially massive assault on civil liberties, if that's what you want me to say.

But two points here:

1) If we fail to reach herd immunity, there will be recurring outbreaks of this bug until the end of time, and big ones will be dealt with by lockdowns, mandatory masks, and other measures that interfere with basic everyday freedoms - which sounds bad, right? I mean that's the stuff you really hate? And if that happens, it'll be the result of a significant number of people remaining voluntarily unvaccinated, which in turn is precisely a result of the anti-vaxx garbage your lot have been sharting out for decades.

Vaccine passports, if they come to pass, only make sense in the context of a significant number of people remaining voluntarily unvaccinated. So your freedom-warrior schtick is, in the end, entirely self-defeating.

2) There are assaults on our civil liberties happening practically on a daily basis these days. Why is it only policies that are intended to reduce the spread of a disease that get you so exercised? In case you hadn't heard, you can now get a ten-stretch for defacing a statue, and protest is now illegal if someone finds it "annoying". I don't recall hearing a peep out of you about either those outrages.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
@148 I.Q. Magical Thinker Of course it’s “off”, can anyone here remember comparable levels of surrealism?

Nearest comparisons (which are entirely irrelevant) might be watching the original Aids ads with my gay brother as teenagers. All they did was amplify fear and ignorance, the monolith as gravestone, with near zero education factor as information was already around. I look back on these ads more as a heads up to the straight world, whatever that is

Another might be the Troubles, where the murder-rate among family and friends touched everyone. You couldn’t escape it. Ever. Not even in dreams, because that was a direct entry porthole for all manner of daemons. You want to experience disruptions and questions relating to freedom of movement to travel? Get in a Tardis and go back in time to the north of Ireland not so long ago. Habeus Corpus? Yeah right. Apartheid? Most definitely

Working with ex-offenders who’ve done significant time (for drugs, theft, violence) etc, most of them shrug at the hysteria Covid has generated. They’re almost all grateful not being locked up. However, given the rates of autoimmune conditions and complications from HIV and/or hepatitis, nearly every client on our books has been jabbed

Off is a fairly elastic term open to a range of interpretations. If the vaccine and boosters wipe all takers out or cause aggressive complications, we should know before too long how bad the bigger picture is

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nearest comparisons (which are entirely irrelevant) might be watching the original Aids ads with my gay brother as teenagers. All they did was amplify fear and ignorance, the monolith as gravestone, with near zero education factor as information was already around. I look back on these ads more as a heads up to the straight world, whatever that is
I dunno if that's *all* they did (although I'm sure they had that effect too), since there was a massive drop in the number of new HIV infections in the second half of the 80s:

Although looking at the graph, this was driven entirely by the fall in transmission among gay men, and transmission among straights actually rose in this period...

Edit: maybe I'm talking bollocks though, as most of that fall looks like it happened before the campaign began.

Last edited:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You could add H-Bomb drills at school as a sprog, fumbling to get under your desk/table

Yes kids, you have 4 minutes until nuclear annihilation, enjoy the view from under there and you get an extra Club biscuit from tuck shop after (even though that’ll be levelled too)

Define “off”

Status
Not open for further replies.