Benny Bunter

I've also been using "close reading" techniques on To Pollen, but that takes a lot longer than computational analysis ( "distant reading") - I haven't got past the first page, there is much to process - disease, Catholic schools of thought (?), the physics of sound, probability...
I want to read this one but every time I open the page and look at it, I have to turn away after a few seconds. It's not much fun to read. I admire your approach to it though.

Weirdly there is at least one of the poems (or verses?) towards the end that is more or less straightforward English - "we see shots of a father racked in misery and bearing like a gift his crushed and bloodied son, a bare infant."

So there's the Iraq war reference then, I guess.

luka

i quite like it but as i was saying the other day science sam reckons the whole middle prynne period is bad vibes to the point it made him physically ill reading it all. again recoeved wisdom seems to be he was in a very bad place for many years and the poetry is horrible and violent

Benny Bunter

Maybe it is a bit of received wisdom colouring my response to it,but there's also something about those big square breezeblocks of text.

william_kent

Weirdly there is at least one of the poems (or verses?) towards the end that is more or less straightforward English - "we see shots of a father racked in misery and bearing like a gift his crushed and bloodied son, a bare infant."

The good thing about To Pollen is that it is available as a free pdf which means I can sneak read it in the office, although my boss did spot the "word cloud" I generated from it, and remarked that it was "pretty"

1645776972886.png

I'm still stuck at the first couple of pages, it is some of the most impenetrable text that I have encountered, perhaps only rivalled by a Christine Brooke-Rose novel I once tried to read..

The first poem is pretty bleak with all the hospital imagery, and when I looked up "cell tropic" and saw that the majority of results were about HIV it did nothing to cheer me up

woops

is not like other people
The good thing about To Pollen is that it is available as a free pdf which means I can sneak read it in the office, although my boss did spot the "word cloud" I generated from it, and remarked that it was "pretty"

View attachment 10601

I'm still stuck at the first couple of pages, it is some of the most impenetrable text that I have encountered, perhaps only rivalled by a Christine Brooke-Rose novel I once tried to read..

The first poem is pretty bleak with all the hospital imagery, and when I looked up "cell tropic" and saw that the majority of results were about HIV it did nothing to cheer me up
i've got some christine brooke-rose here i'll have to give it another go.

luka

all the new stuff is whimsical/goon show.

the first stanza(?) of pollen is worth comparing/contrasting to the first chunk of kazoo i reckon.

william_kent

all the new stuff is whimsical/goon show.

the first stanza(?) of pollen is worth comparing/contrasting to the first chunk of kazoo i reckon.

I haven't got a copy of Kazoo Dreamboats, but I'll bear that in mind

I'm forming an opinion that the first page of Pollen is about a trip to the dentist, possibly for some root canal work, but also about the nature of speech and formation of words...

I'll probably change my mind later

luka

I'm forming an opinion that the first page of Pollen is about a trip to the dentist
It hurt so much. As to
submit engraver likeness mirror from terror alto style
lifted at furnish to a stroke. Is any more likely
footed along notable cliff sounds, edging close as
passive, as link project. To groan at once in point
sill factorise, in flash worsen blanket at a neck

Benny Bunter

i quite like it but as i was saying the other day science sam reckons the whole middle prynne period is bad vibes to the point it made him physically ill reading it all. again recoeved wisdom seems to be he was in a very bad place for many years and the poetry is horrible and violent

Just read Refuse Collection, the one before To Pollen, which is a lot easier to read in terms of straightforward English and is a lot shorter, but is incredibly violent, full of death and rape and mutilation, the horrors of war. Powerful stuff.

Benny Bunter

I studied translation a few years ago and there are so many parallels with reading Prynne - working with the dictionary, making concordance lists, finding definitions and equivalents (and teasing out he nuanced differences between them), root metaphors, ways of restating grammatical structures etc.

I should look back over my old notes from the translation course I did, I really think a lot of the techniques translators use are more or less the same as getting into this stuff. To do translation well you need a high level of technical skill, but it's also an art.