luka

You've already got the sense of land as comprised of dynamic forces, which pick us up and carry us, drag us down, push us back, spin us round.

version

I'm rereading Against Interpretation atm and between that and Prynne it's really exposed how programmed I am to read a certain way. Always looking behind, over and past what's on the page in search of meaning. I think it's partly because I like to discuss things with others and reading things that way generates discussion. It's reading that follows Ashbee's description of postmodern art in that Art Bollocks piece Craner posted,

This is not art to be looked at; this is art to talk about and write about. It doesn't reward visual attention; it generates text. In that, it is the model for much art since the '60s, which we have come to call post-modern: art as a machine for producing language.

Sontag makes the point that at one point we didn't ask what a work of art said because we knew what it did. That seems to be what Prynne's forcing me to wrangle with whenever I pick him up. He's forcing me to read differently. It's uncomfortable, but in a good way.

luka

I agree that's what's most useful about prynne. You find out so much about how reading works and various ways to go about it. It rewires your brain although there's always frustration and irritation involved for me

version

Reading a lot of Pynchon's complicated this stuff for me as with him he's more or less telling you there's stuff going on beneath the surface and encouraging you to excavate. That being said, I've never done Marxist readings of stuff or whatever. It's more just "What do they mean by this?" and mulling over what things represent rather than forcing it all through a specific lens. It's still contingent on the idea that what's being said isn't what's really being said though. That what they're trying to communicate is encrypted.

luka

I mean Prynne is not just a machine for creating effects, but it's often so obtuse and cryptic that it might as well be.

version

Yeah, I believe he's saying something specific. There's just no way to find out what it is. I'm sure if I asked him I'd end up with more questions than answers.

luka

Depends what book as well. There's earlier poems like Ariestes, or the glacial problem unsolved for example, which are a lot more giving than something like Red D Gypsum

version

I flounder when trying not to interpret this stuff. It's incredibly difficult not to latch onto certain words and ideas and use them as a point of reference. I don't know how to discuss it any other way. I can't even envisage another way of reading something unless it's just a straightforward story where it's all laid out with no room for interpretation. How do you read Eliot or whatever without instinctively wondering what it might be about?

luka

I suppose I have the opposite problem. An underdeveloped curiosity about and sense of what things are about. I don't ask enough questions

version

Yeah, this is partly why Pynchon appeals to me. You're asked to play detective and question everything. Never take anything at face value.

version

It appeals to my internet brain where everything's referencing everything else and that's how I understand things. Prynne's much more self-contained. I have to go into his environment. Pynchon's environment's everywhere. It's as much outside the book for me as inside. Prynne's like a portal to somewhere utterly alien.

luka

This is something he explicitly is trying to force you into. This starts with looking up all the words you don't understand of that are used in a strange context. Like Pound, he's trying to trick or push you into learning.

luka

A hyaline substance is one with a glassy appearance. The word is derived from Greek: ὑάλινος, romanized: hyálinos, lit. 'transparent', and ὕαλος, hýalos, 'crystal, glass'.

Contents
Histopathology Edit

In histopathological medical usage, a hyaline substance appears glassy and pink after being stained with haematoxylin and eosin—usually it is an acellular, proteinaceous material. An example is hyaline cartilage, a transparent, glossy articular joint cartilage.

Some mistakenly refer to all hyaline as hyaline cartilage; however, hyaline applies to other material besides the cartilage itself.

Arterial hyaline is seen in aging, high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and in association with some drugs (e.g. calcineurin inhibitors). It is bright pink with PAS staining.

Ichthyology and entomology Edit

Cephonodes hylas moth
In ichthyology and entomology, hyaline denotes a colorless, transparent substance, such as unpigmented fins of fishes or clear insect wings.

For example

version

I have this with Joyce too actually. It doesn't feel as though the references really lead anywhere the way they do with Pynchon. When he does a pun on a Latin verse or something, it doesn't feel as though my looking it up will carry much weight whereas Pynchon namedropping Allen Dulles leads you down a crazy rabbit hole involving the OSS, CIA, JFK etc.

luka

Remember in his advice on how to read he is telling you to look up the wing span of a wind hover while reading Hopkins!