luka

Try reading and working with Ariestes. There's lots to look up concerning the original myth, the scythians, shamanism etc.

luka

gathering the heat to himself, in one thermic

hazard, he took himself out: to catch up with

the tree, the river, the forms of alien vantage

And hence the first way

(lie low till the heat dies down? He took himself out- suicide? Out of body, of place, of fixed, human viewpoint? To see as tree sees, as river sees? The forms of alien vantage. First way- ways of being predating the human? And what else?)

By theft into the upper world – “a

natural development from the mixed

economy in the drier or bleaker

regions, where more movement was

necessary” – and thus the

floodloam, the deposit, borrowed for

the removal. Call it inland, his

nose filled with steam & his brief cries,

Aristeas took up it

seems with the

singular as the larch

tree, the

Greek sufficient

for that. From Marmora

(Marmora, home of Aristeas, Asia Minor, Island off Turkey. In Greek, Proconnesus. Drier bleaker regions= Phrygia? ‘The climate is harsh with hot summers and cold winters; olives will not easily grow here and the land is mostly used for livestock grazing and the production of barley’. ‘Often, in Eurasian shamanism, the "world tree" is depicted as specifically a larch tree.’ The coffins of Pazyryk were of larch.)

And sprang with that double twist into the

Middle world and thence took flight over the

Scythian hordes and to the Hyperborean,

Touch of the north wind

carrying with him Apollo. Song

his transport but this divine

insistence the pastural clan:

sheep, elk, the wild deer. In each case

the presence in embryo, god of the shep-

herd and fixed in the movement of flock.

Wrung over the real tracts. If he was

frozen like the felted eagle of Pazyryk,

he too had the impossible lower twist,

the spring into the middle, the air.

From here comes

the north wind, the

remote animal

gold – how did

he, do we, know

or trust this>

Following the raven and

(tracing a movement, airbound, across the geography of Asia Minor and the steppe surveying the people who lived there? The nomadic tribes of the steppe. Proto Indo-Europeans, our linguistic ancestors. The Hyperboreans ((beyond the north wind-the Chinese>)) Live beyond the north wind means beyond The Dzungarian Gate, the gap in the mountains that separate China from Central Asia. ‘The Ancient Greeks gave the name Scythia (or Great Scythia) to all the lands north-east of Europe and the northern coast of the Black Sea.’ ‘The Pazyryk culture is a Scythian Iron Agearchaeological culture’ ‘I happened onto a book I own today by E. D. Phillips, “The Royal Hordes: Nomad Peoples of the Steppes,” 1965.

luka

Phillips presents more felts from Pazyryk. As most of you know, these items are estimated to be about 2,500 years old. This is of an eagle-griffin attacking an ibex. He notes the “writhing action and the impossible twist of the hind quarters which are characteristic of later Sarmatian art of Siberia.”’’ Barkova begins her paper by stating that "the early steppe nomads of the Altai region made felt from sheep's wool, using both the soft underfleece and hairy fibres.’ ‘In his Histories, Herodotus relates travelers' reports of a land in the northeast where griffins guard gold and where the North Wind issues from a mountain cave. Given the parallels between Herodotus' story and modern reports,[6][7]scholars such as Carl Ruck,[8] J.D.P. Bolton[9] and Ildikó Lehtinen[10] have speculated on a connection between the Dzungarian Gate and the home of Boreas, the North Wind of Greek mythology. ‘The area has also become known for its gold deposits and for producing prodigious numbers of dinosaur fossils, especially Protoceratops. Given that Herodotus relates a story of a traveller to the East who visited a land where griffins guard gold and east of which live the Hyperboreans, modern scholars have theorized that the Dzungarian Gate may be the real-world location of the home of Boreas, the North Wind of Greek Legend.[8][24]The Greek writer Herodotus writes in his Histories (4.13) that the explorer Aristeas, a native of Proconnesus in Asia Minor active circa 7th century BC, had written a now lost hexameter poem about a journey to the Issedonesof the far north. Aristeas reported that beyond them lived the one-eyed Arimaspians, further on were the gold-guarding griffins, and beyond these the Hyperboreans.This Aristeas, possessed by Phoibos, visited the Issedones; beyond these live the one-eyed Arimaspoi, beyond whom are the Grypes that guard gold, and beyond these again the Hyperboreoi, whose territory reaches to the sea. Except for the Hyperboreoi, all these nations are always at war with their neighbors...[25]Based on Greek and Scythian sources, Herodotus describes the Issedones as living east of Scythia and north of the Massagetae, while the geographer Ptolemy (VI.16.7) appears to place the trading stations of Issedon Scythica and Issedon Sericain the Tarim Basin.[26] They may have been identical with the people described in Chinese sources as the Wusun.[27] According to E. D. Phillips, the Issedones are "placed by some in Western Siberia and by others in Chinese Turkestan."[28] J.D.P. Bolton places them on the south-western slopes of the Altay mountains.[29]
)
sniffing hemp as the
other air, it was
himself as the singular that he knew and
could outlast in the long walk by the
underground sea. Where he was as
the singular
location so completely portable
that with the merest black
wings he could survey the
stones and rills in their
complete mountain courses,
in name the displacement
Scythic.

(the black wings- since his death he had been travelling with Apollo in the form of a sacred raven. Hemp- ‘In a corner of one grave chamber of the Pazyryk cemetery was a fur bag containing cannabis seed, a censer filled with stones, and the hexapod frame of an inhalation tent - these are believed to have been utilized at the end of the funerary

luka

The reason of this caution is that one must always see that the
souls of caught seals are taken along to the new camps. So if a

camp is left just after a kill has been made, it means that one

has not much pleasure in the catch. And it offends the souls to

give them the impression that their flesh was not enough to keep

people at the old camp.

Before leaving a camp, the skulls of all the seals caught there

are laid out on the ice some distance from the snow hut, on snow

that does not bear the marks of feet, and they must be so placed

that they face the direction of the new camp. This custom is

explained by the following words:

tlArari^amik niaque sanivArtita"vagtut tumit sauEra'nut;

si^uni^Jamir|nut sa-tihlugit malEro'tik-ArLugit, ariuti^Jamir|nut isu-

mahlutik tArnirie malnro-tin-iArmata: when they break camp on

hunting journeys the skulls are sent on hunting journeys, the foot-

prints alongside; that towards which they journey they turn them

towards so that they will follow behind; their I'ulure hunting

they think of, as the seals must have the desire to follow be-

hind." THE NETSILIK ESKIMOS
SOCIAL LIFE AND SPIRITUAL CULTURE - KNUD RASMUSSEN )

luka

From the fuller’s shop as from
The camp of the seal hunter,
Some part of the bone must be twisted
& must twist, as the stages of Cimmerian
Wandering, viz:
1. 1800-13th Century B.C, north
of the Caucasus, then
2. 13th-8th Centuries, invaded
by the Scythians and deflected
Southwards & to the west. And
3. After that, once more displaced
(8th Century to maybe 500 B.C.),
The invasion of Asia Minor,
“ruinous”, as any settled and complaisant fixture
on the shoreline would regard the movement of
pressure irreducible by trade or bribery. Hence
the need to catch up, as a response to cheap money
and how all that huddle could
be drawn out
into the tenuous upper
reach, the fine chatter
of small birds under the
head of the sky
(sub divus columine)

(sub divus- under the wide open sky Also, "under the sky", "in the open air", "out in the open" or "outdoors". Ablative "divo" does not distinguish divus, divi, a god, from divum, divi, the sky. Noun
columen n ‎(genitive columinis); third declension

1. pillar, column
  2. peak, summit, zenith)))
on the western slope of the Urals and the scatter

of lightning, now out of doors and into

the eagle span,

the true condition of bone

luka

Im sorry if I gave the impression you shouldn't try and make sense of the things. I very much think you should. But when I try, I fail. And I find other ways to enjoy the reading and interact with the words.

version

I'm responding to Sontag as much as you there. I'm struggling to work out how to process something without wanting to know or trying to understand what it means. That line about knowing what something does rather than what it says is flummoxing me. Reminds me of that bloke saying you don't need to understand your car in order to experience driving so you don't need to understand D&G in order to experience reading them,

Here’s the trick: do not bother trying to comprehend or understand the text. A desire for that level of control will only hinder your ability to experience it, use it, think it, and become it. To apply an analogy, I do not need to understand or comprehend my car in order for me to experience driving, to use the car to get to the grocery store, to think about the fact that I am sitting motionless while simultaneously moving rapidly through time and space, to become an extension of the car or vice versa. (In this way, Deleuze has really helped me formulate my general approach to all works of literature: I do not care to comprehend them or understand them in any way. I wish instead to experience them and use them and become them.)

Obviously you can experience the process of your eyes moving across the text, the words registering, but why write anything in particular if it doesn't matter whether you comprehend or understand any of it? They were deliberately chosen. You can't do that without something informing those choices.

version

What does a given piece of work do if we shouldn't interpret it, but it doesn't provide any clear meaning of its own?

luka

Words do far more than merely convey information. So you pay attention to the phantasmagoria conjured by these strings of words as they happen.

version

Is that not interpretation though? This is the knot I'm tying myself in. It seems the ideal is to be completely blank and unthinking when encountering art. Not to think about the paint or the patterns or the colour or what's depicted or how it makes you feel or the words or to process it in any way.

version

I'm bouncing off you, Sontag and that Art Bollocks piece. The conclusion I've come to is if interpretation's undesirable then there's no room for ambiguity or the abstract in art as they make interpretation inevitable.