luka

and there's great deal in the early poems about patience, the laggardly, the slow moving, the trudge

Benny Bunter

You can to a point with the gluttony thing where you don't want to read or (listen to) anything else but you're not really enjoying it anymore - addiction basically.

luka

go to a gallery you might be able to give your attention to 2 or 3 paintings, at anything more than a derisory level of engagement. realistically.

woops

is not like other people
I wonder why this has never been taken on board by professional curators, just give people 3 paintings to linger over, less work for everyone else involved too

Benny Bunter

Maybe when you get exasperated trying to take on all this heavy stuff it'd good to just read some mindless potboiler or something instead. Or just something totally different to refresh the palate. Or read/watch/listen to nothing at all.

Last edited:

luka

and there's great deal in the early poems about patience, the laggardly, the slow moving, the trudge
ive got as far as the common gain, reverted

Those who walk heavily
carry their needs, or lack
of them, by keeping their
eyes directed at the ground
before their feet. They are
said to trudge when in fact their empty thoughts
unroll like a crimson carpet before their
gentle & delicate pace.

I've always liked this one. the street pattern as our maze imposed on unbounded open space
that 'the way is of course speech' that even the eskimo and aborigine have paths they
follow, or they'd die in the wilderness.

you can read it here

luka

"In northern latitudes throughout the Pleistocene era, the main determinant of animal and vegetable existence was the advance and retreat of the glaciers. These frequently covered large parts of Europe, Asia and North America with impenetrable ice-sheets, locking up huge quantities of sea water, and reducing average temperatures by 10-12 degrees centigrade and ocean levels by over 350 feet- far below those of modern times. Only when they shrank back, allowing the northward spread of oak and spruce forests, and the sub-Arctic vegetation on which the mammoths and reindeer browsed, was it possible for early humans to live much outside the equatorial regions; and even then it required the discovery of fire, and the ability to sew warm clothing, before they could survive a winter in the rich, but frozen, hunting grounds."

Benny Bunter

Cool!
Looking forward to getting the book and digging into this properly. I listened to rest of that poetry reading this morning and he finished up with a long one called Aristeas in 7 years that sounded brilliant. Greek dude wandering around the dark Cimmerian lands - right up my street.

luka

Cool!
Looking forward to getting the book and digging into this properly. I listened to rest of that poetry reading this morning and he finished up with a long one called Aristeas in 7 years that sounded brilliant. Greek dude wandering around the dark Cimmerian lands - right up my street.
its here

Benny Bunter

Nice. Gonna wait till the book arrives before I read it. Reminded me of Pound, maybe just because that was the first time I'd seen the word Cimmerian before

luka

william_kent

I've just read The Glacial Question, Unsolved

I'm reading this as a love poem to the British mainland, the land as living organism

I particularly liked this phrase:

The striations are part of the heart's
desire

which conflates the striated musculature of the heart with the geological markings caused by glacial movement