luka

you can understand a huge amount about the white stones by reading Conan lore. the pressures that put the tribes in motion.
the stages of CImmerian wandering, viz
1. 1800-13th Century B.C., north
of the Caucusus, the
2. 13th-8th Centuries, invaded
by the Scythians and deflected
southwards & to the west. And
3. after that, once more displaced
(8th Century to maybe 500 B.C,),
the invasion of Asia Minor,
"ruinous", as any settled and complaisant fixture
on the shoreline would regard the movement of
pressure irreducible by trade or bribery.

luka

he seems very keen on "drift", it's seems to be an integral part of his core vocabulary
cleverer people than me have pointed out that white stones has a lot to do with nomadic vs settled lifeways
also read something yesterday about drift as technical terms in genetics and also in crystal structure

Benny Bunter

In that poetry reading he talks about how a change in temperature of just a couple of degrees completely transformed the entire landscape, the vegetation, where people and animals lived, all in the blink of an eye in terms of geological time

luka

In that poetry reading he talks about how a change in temperature of just a couple of degrees completely transformed the entire landscape, the vegetation, where people and animals lived, all in the blink of an eye in terms of geological time
the thing i quoted was from my time atlas to world history! the oak and spruce preceding humans north as the glaciers retreated. also really love the line from glacial question

the oscillation must have been so delicate, almost each contour on the rock-spine is a weather limit

the boundary of glaciation and the habitatable basically (Hunstanton to Wells)

Benny Bunter

william_kent

it's a particularly good piece of writing ( glacial question ), and I have learnt that hippopotamuses once walked on British soil

Benny Bunter

In that reading he read another one about two guys travelling to visit the great Khan, can't remember what it was called now but it's probably from the same book.

luka

the moraine runs axial to the Finchley Road
including hippopotamus, which isn't a
joke any more than the present fringe
of intellectual habit. They did live as
the evidence is ready, for the successive
drift.