william_kent

Convenience store spy cameras face legal challenge

The Southern Co-op group has adopted a high tech version of that system where a shop has some photos of people banned from their shop behind the counter - for an 'ethical' co-operative society this seems a bit unethical..

A single camera captures the faces of people who enter the shops, and the images are analysed and converted into biometric data.
This is then compared with a database of people the co-operative says have stolen from its shops, or been violent.
A spokeswoman said the watch-list was not a list of people with criminal convictions, but of people for which the business had evidence of criminal or anti-social behaviour.
Any shopper previously banned would be asked to leave, and others would be approached by staff with an offer of "how can I help?" to make it clear their presence had been detected.

Facewatch also provides the biometric cameras to Costcutter, Sports Direct, Spar, Nisa and Frasers Group.

william_kent

Israel slowly clamping down on cash

From August 1: Cash transactions above NIS 6,000 illegal

( beware: horrible website! awful adverts all over the show )

Israel's Law on Reducing the Use of Cash came into force in 2019 and next week, on August 1, the threshold for cash transactions is set to drop from NIS 11,000 to just NIS 6,000.

This amount refers to payments to businesses, including the self-employed and freelancers. Payments between private individuals (for example, when purchasing a property) have a higher cash threshold though that too is set to drop next week, from NIS 50,000 to NIS 15,000. The threshold for car purchases is the exception and will remain unchanged at NIS 50,000.

william_kent

those fucking cameras that show you your face and very conspicuously let you know you're being watched at the supermarket self-checkout are horrible aren't they

those cameras are physically less intrusive than some member of staff hovering around in your vicinity pretending to look busy while watching your every move, following you around the shop and breathing down your neck, which was the old tech, although the cameras are more of a violation as now everyone is equally under suspicion and monitored and recorded...

shakahislop

those cameras are physically less intrusive than some member of staff hovering around in your vicinity pretending to look busy while watching your every move, following you around the shop and breathing down your neck, which was the old tech, although the cameras are more of a violation as now everyone is equally under suspicion and monitored and recorded...
every now and then i see something which is worse in england than it is in the US, which is counter-intuitive because the basic mental model when it comes to anything political is that england can be quite bad, but america is always worse. this self-service camera thing is one of those. it's slightly funny that they have more tech to stop people nicking things in the village tesco than they do in harlem etc

its not really the surveillance that i don't like, it's the way they're very clearly there to let you know you're being watched (so don't steal things by not scanning them at the checkout). its a threat.

sufi

lala
every now and then i see something which is worse in england than it is in the US, which is counter-intuitive because the basic mental model when it comes to anything political is that england can be quite bad, but america is always worse. this self-service camera thing is one of those. it's slightly funny that they have more tech to stop people nicking things in the village tesco than they do in harlem etc

its not really the surveillance that i don't like, it's the way they're very clearly there to let you know you're being watched (so don't steal things by not scanning them at the checkout). its a threat.
nobody is watching at the other end though so feel free to help yrself
maybe if they id you as a repeat offender they would use it for evidence but it's an intimidation tactic not an enforcement tactic

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Dunno if this is still true, but it true a few years ago at least, that the UK was the most heavily surveilled country in the notionally free world, and the second in the whole world, after China.

Definitely not one of New Labour's more enlightened policies, but as with everything of that sort, it's either stayed the same or got worse since 2010.

Leo

Dunno if this is still true, but it true a few years ago at least, that the UK was the most heavily surveilled country in the notionally free world, and the second in the whole world, after China.

Definitely not one of New Labour's more enlightened policies, but as with everything of that sort, it's either stayed the same or got worse since 2010.

Yeah, it's only recently that we've had anywhere near the level of CCTV surveillance on streets, and ours were still primarily in heavily trafficked or important urban areas. the average smaller town never had cameras at intersections, but some do now. I think the UK was ahead on that count.

shakahislop

nobody is watching at the other end though so feel free to help yrself
maybe if they id you as a repeat offender they would use it for evidence but it's an intimidation tactic not an enforcement tactic
next time i go i'm going to hold my phone up to the camera with this post open

Anyone else reading The Network State by Balaji Srinivasan? It's very good, the network as the 3rd leviathan after God and State. Or, how the west would be as authoritarian as China, if only it were competent, and if only the network (crypto/web3) didn't contest this and have a firm foothold.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, it's only recently that we've had anywhere near the level of CCTV surveillance on streets, and ours were still primarily in heavily trafficked or important urban areas. the average smaller town never had cameras at intersections, but some do now. I think the UK was ahead on that count.
On street intersections I can understand the justification a bit more, on the grounds of it being legally useful to see what's happened in case of accidents. It's a different thing when they're just trained on pedestrians in case somebody is Up To Something.

Leo

On street intersections I can understand the justification a bit more, on the grounds of it being legally useful to see what's happened in case of accidents. It's a different thing when they're just trained on pedestrians in case somebody is Up To Something.

but if they are at every intersection, then they pretty much cover most blocks and can capture pedestrians up to something.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Anyone else reading The Network State by Balaji Srinivasan? It's very good, the network as the 3rd leviathan after God and State. Or, how the west would be as authoritarian as China, if only it were competent, and if only the network (crypto/web3) didn't contest this and have a firm foothold.
We just had a Twitter space with a bunch of DAOs and with Balaji, about network states. You’d dig the whole world of DAOs actually

Are you able to access this recording?

We just had a Twitter space with a bunch of DAOs and with Balaji, about network states. You’d dig the whole world of DAOs actually

Are you able to access this recording?

Yes, the twitter space plays, thanks. I'll listen to it this weekend. I'm in a couple of DAOs via NFT projects.

Was scammed out of 2.4eth first thing yesterday, just in time to miss the pump. Easy come, easy go.