pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

those muscular gospel comping layers, strengthening the outlines of the arrangement. occasional flourishes when a space opens up, and the stairway to heaven at 0:51

#TeamPiano

Leo

thaemlitz/sprinkles has some great tracks and remixes that are essentially a couple of piano chords spread out and laid over a 10+ minute groove, an accent that really makes it...

#teampianoftw

sadmanbarty

McCoy was by far my favourite pianist. Even better than Elton John.

The piano solo on favourite things is so stunning. Cedar Walton made a whole career out of copying it.

He really found his style in the mid-60’s. It was also the point he and Elvin Jones were at the peek of their telepathy, so they’re have these cymbal crashes and gargantuan left hand piano punches happen at the same time.

He really was brilliant. Harmonically with those quartile chord voicing me that made everything so epic. Rynthmically. Timbre. Truly incredible.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Yeah. No one else would have been able to do what he did in that quartet. No one else had that level of openness and purity of soul to provide John with the right foundation and then break out and match him when it was his time to shine. No band could do what they did. Even if they spent their whole lives trying to learn A Love Supreme note for note. It was the synergy of 4 unique spirits, each one equally important but with a leader that knew where he was going. When you look at all the musicians who played with John it's like he had this effect that stuck with them for the rest of their careers. McCoy was something special though. That left hand as you say. God damn. Stairways to the beyond.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
For sure, he's a master. Love In N Out. But that coltrane quarter isn't considered the best jazz combo ever for nothing. Anyway, here's sthn that just came up on my YouTube feed