version's Thomas Pynchon masterclass

craner

Beast of Burden
The entire teaching staff of the KCL literature department circa 2000/2001 seemed to be in awe of it.

version

I found it too cute and neat. There were things I liked in it, but it felt like an exercise or parody of something. Impressive how much he manages to compress into it, just leaves me cold in comparison to the others. A perfectly constructed little puzzle box.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There is a famous jewish/chinese restaurant in Hollywood called Genghis Cohen, and while I haven't confirmed it yet, I'm pretty sure it was inspired by the character in Lot 49, the one who helps Oedipa analyze the stamp I believe.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean I did say that last night just to amuse version

I read about three pages. It did seem fairly irritating and smug, ooh look at me I'm clever, but for all I know I'd find myself warming to it on page four, after all me being a little irritating smug and ooh look at me I'm clever myself

• Angry
Reactions: sus

version

You should read it. It's short and you might like it. And if you don't, you've at least read it and have a leg to stand on when dismissing it.

@sus and @linebaugh are big fans and can make arguments that will make you want to pick it up again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I read about three pages. It did seem fairly irritating and smug, ooh look at me I'm clever
This is Pynchon all over though, isn't it?

You can tell he laughs uproariously at his own jokes, strokes his chin at his own metaphysical digressions, and strokes something else over his own sex scenes.

• Angry

sus

The first two chapters of that book have several jaw dropping pages. The bit where she feels like she's at the eye of a wind storm, mid epiphany, the streets like a computer chip, just incredible

sus

> As long as I've been complaining, I might as well make with the
> free advice here-- you are too good to be wasting your time and energy
> writing about somebody else's stuff.