catalog

Yeah I mean there's obviously a problem with that clip, I get that. But there's other stuff going on in comedy than just people mercilessly lampooning other races. That's like the bottom drawer, lower order. There's some comedy dealing with race that says profound stuff that can't be said any other way. I don't care too much about little Britain, I laughed along with it when it was on, but don't watch the repeats or anything. The moment for it has passed.

version

That's the stuff I'm talking about though. I'm not talking about any comedy dealing with race etc. I'm talking about comedy dealing with race the way people like Lucas and Walliams did.

catalog

I thought come fly with me was funnier, but that really was quite bad on race. The baggage handler guy. Fook. Avatar 2.

catalog

I remember the vicky pollard thing, how it was a meme before memes. I remember going to a really old friend of the family, an old teacher friend of my mums, and she was talking about her grandkids and ended a story by saying 'am I bovvered' at that point you know its hit

version

I never saw anything they did after that. The first time I saw anything from Come Fly With Me was when third posted a clip saying how bad it was a while back.

catalog

Couldn't really fall into it properly. I was half in. He does my head in noel, too much. Some good bits tho

version

I guess that one's a bit different as the whole thing isn't them mocking minorities. It's a couple of dodgy characters.

version

It's based around an airport and they do characters like this...

Come-Fly-With-Me.jpg

entertainment

I read Gender Trouble and Bodies That Matter back in the 1990s and it is really interesting, in a good and bad way, to watch the theoretical implications of those texts play in the real world now.

There is an essay by Lisa Ruddick called 'When nothing is cool' where she talks about how crit theory has decomposed into a set of attitudes that's pervading academia today (which you could extend to general cultural discourse). https://thepointmag.com/criticism/when-nothing-is-cool/

Is there something unethical in contemporary criticism? This essay is not just for those who identify with the canaries in the mine, but for anyone who browses through current journals and is left with an impression of deadness or meanness. I believe that the progressive fervor of the humanities, while it reenergized inquiry in the 1980s and has since inspired countless valid lines of inquiry, masks a second-order complex that is all about the thrill of destruction. In the name of critique, anything except critique can be invaded or denatured. This is the game of academic cool that flourished in the era of high theory. Yet what began as theory persists as style.