sufi

lala
Always? Or just a few high profile cases
looking at weinsten, epstein, yes,
but as i was saying from the start of the thread there seem to be degrees of cancellation, so woody allen had his reptation smashed, but wasnt done as a crim
seems just

sufi

lala
Do we think that noone is immune to cancellation? i think that there are some people in public life who are unimpeachable

how are you gonna cancel a superhero like lady hale?

linebaugh

Well it only applies to people in the "public eye" isnt it, and in general people arent open or honest about their sins, so the whole deal is that their sins get exposed and they get cancelled. I don't think it applies to the "bottom"
i don't really like it when people say you have nothing to fear if you don't have skeletons in the closet, but i also think you'll agree that many people in teh "public eye" only got there by behaving in a ruthless and nasty way, so their cancellation is just
If everyone being cancelled was deserved of it, then yah. But that's not the case. And theres a difference between outright
cancelling and a reprimanding/rehabilitation or whatever.

I'm also in America where the difference between those that think removing confederate monuments is 'cancel culture gone to far' and those over zealous left types who actively seek out and fabricate reason to cancel is very stark. Im also in a lefty bubble admittedly, but from my experience punching down is a huge piece of all this.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have they?
show me
From the article that you posted on the last page:

And to give you an idea how narrow this debate really is, consider the case of David Shor, fired from data consultancy Civis Analytics in May 2020 after tweeting out a 2017 paper from a top political science journal that found that violent demonstrations tend to decrease the Democratic share of the vote while non-violent protests increase it. Critics interpreted Shor’s tweet as conflating Black Lives Matter protestors with rioters, and his firing has already become a go-to case for free speech defenders. It’s referenced in the Harper’s letter. But it’s also referenced in the Objective counter-letter: “If Shor was fired simply for posting an academic article, that is indefensible.”

version

Cancellations seem to come from a similar place to the desire for the death penalty in England, imo. There's an emphasis on suffering and punishment in the English psyche. People want to drag others through the streets and break them and don't really care what happens after that.

luka

Cancellations seem to come from a similar place to the desire for the death penalty in England, imo. There's an emphasis on suffering and punishment in the English psyche. People want to drag others through the streets and break them and don't really care what happens after that.

Nothing beats putting the boot in. Hurling a scapegoat off a cliff or whatever

version

What happens to the people who get fired? Is losing the one job enough and they can just go and get another, or should they be hounded out of each subsequent one too?

luka

What happens to the people who get fired? Is losing the one job enough and they can just go and get another, or should they be hounded out of each subsequent one too?

The other thing you're allowed to do is post pictures of their partners and kids too

sufi

lala
which people - people who are racist tweeters?
They were trying to get Simon Reynolds cancelled just last week weren't they!
yeah but did they? I reckon that cancellation can get closer to "natural justice" than "the system",
and i don't believe that the punching down phenomenon is really as significant as bumping the likes of the examples i provided at the start of the thread

linebaugh

Perhaps if you only follow the sensationalised accounts of sackings due to social media that you read in the press, which are generally the most ludicrous and exceptional cases, then you may get a somewhat skewed perspective
https://www.ier.org.uk/product/social-media-and-law/ £4 well spent if it stops you talking bollocks tea
Social media isnt invalid though, even if its crap. I'm thinking of artists. A huge artist can get sensationally 'cancelled' online and they will be just fine. See Doja Cat from just last month. But now if your an up an coming artist and its revealed that, essentially, you've spent time on chat rooms other than Twitter the subsequent cancellation could completely ruin you. I've had a couple friends who have been driven out of artistic communities, real life communities, on extremely dubious grounds for no reason other than the reactionary, piling-on to cancel culture