john eden

male pale and stale
It’s not like anyone on the left spends hours producing texts, lectures, videos, books, blogs, has every day discussions etc. No we never want to talk to people or persuade them.

haji

lala
Maybe they did, but they don't just die the moment they're cancelled. What happens to their families, dependents etc if they have them? Should they be forced onto welfare?
I think resorting to hypotheticals or theoretical conflation with rightism is avoiding the issue
look at the examples i gave at the start of the thread and refer to them please, or come up with your own

john eden

male pale and stale
It's a hypothetical. And yeah, they are, but I dunno whether that's a great argument for forcing more people onto it.

You think that questioning the entire economic system that forces people into poverty is better than focussing on showbiz media spats? Sweet! I’d be well up for that.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yeah but that's pre-internet thinkng
it isn't

the argument over whether to trust people to think for themselves or not is as old as politics

you make it seem like the only option to counter manipulation is to manipulate people

which implicitly declares that people are incapable of thinking for themselves

neither of those things are true

haji

lala
it's about addressing impunity.
our job is to bring this to bear on the rest of the powerful bullies who swan about like they own the place

version

Someone who loses their job has five or six options, and if they've lost it due to a cancellation then the best option's already been hampered somewhat. They can:

1) apply for another job and hope someone's willing to take on the additional risk in hiring them
2) go on welfare/benefits
3) live off someone else
4) live on the streets
5) turn to crime
6) kill themselves

I guess you could also throw in joining the military, but most people won't pass the medical and fitness tests.

haji

lala
You think that questioning the entire economic system that forces people into poverty is better than focussing on showbiz media spats? Sweet! I’d be well up for that.
good point, the mediaplex is so dominant that by toppling the celebrity neerdowells we can affect every level of society with examples of righteous conduct

haji

lala
Someone who loses their job has five or six options, and if they've lost it due to a cancellation then the best option's already been hampered somewhat. They can:

1) apply for another job and hope someone's willing to take on the additional risk in hiring them
2) go on welfare/benefits
3) live off someone else
4) live on the streets
5) turn to crime
6) kill themselves

I guess you could also throw in joining the military, but most people won't pass the medical and fitness tests.
yes yes it's bad to lose your job, i lost mine through union activism, none of that is relevant?

linebaugh

It’s not like anyone on the left spends hours producing texts, lectures, videos, books, blogs, has every day discussions etc. No we never want to talk to people or persuade them.
There's a difference between online and in person behavior. My experience has been that most in person lefty groups are left completely impotent by behavior in the genreal spirit of cancel culture. Im also younger than many here I think, but again, the young left is still valid.

haji

lala
How is losing your job not relevant to a discussion of getting people fired?
In the abstract i think we all agree that it's a shame to lose your job, but i think we're trying to analyse about whether cancellation produces injustice

linebaugh

it's not about manipulation, it's about transparency
Half of this argument is just semantics on the difference between 'accountability' and 'cancel culture.' The latter being used by some as a pejorative form of the former.

version

I'm not saying these people aren't arseholes. I'm saying what happens once they've been cancelled/fired? Are they allowed to work again or do we build some social leper colony for people who say racist things on social media?

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm not saying these people aren't arseholes. I'm saying what happens once they've been cancelled/fired? Are they allowed to work again or do we build some social leper colony for people who say racist things on social media?

You think me and Sufi decide this?

haji

lala
depends if they are in jail or not, depends if they are a horrible racist who got their job unjustly, depends if they repent , genuinely about something that genuinely they did wrong