padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
you said:
I did

how does that contradict anything else I said

I didn't say - the principle is be inclusive of everyone at all times in all circumstances no matter what

I said - be inclusive as much as possible. e.g. there are constraints.

I wouldn't call them rules because I think case-by-case does much better

the principle of inclusivity is general, the execution of that principle is qualified

padraig (u.s.)

in which case you're no more inclusive than the next man, woman, person or whatever. you're just exclusive on a different basis
as you would have it. I'm prejudiced in favor of inclusion. there must be a compelling reason not to be inclusive.

in your robbers example, the reason was immediate public safety. it would generally have to be something to do with loss of life, grievous harm, etc.

in personal interactions there is a rule. just one, which is all you need. find out the pronoun a person prefers, use it.

in impersonal interaction - media, government, etc - we could make some rules but they would be inadequate to cover even a fraction of the possibilities. still, that is the case with all rules governing human behavior, so I would say rather that making such rules is beyond the scope of this discussion. hence, back to the general principle of inclusivity.

padraig (u.s.)

what would the @vimothy practical plan be?

descend down from the chilly heights of formality and tell us how you think we should do our best to muck through

beyond just throwing up our hands and exclaiming "confusing times!"

version

Flannery O'Connor has been canceled
4hcqgaos16151.jpg