rhythm basics thread

luka

Ok. Well time to take it in a more interesting direction then third. Go on! Do something clever that will involve people and get them playing nicely together

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
london chicago crossover. 10 years before deeptech, and much better.

the minimal percussion on this so infinitely detailed and refracted. so shiney makes most mainstream pop dance from the era look obsolete.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
one from the dem 2 possee.

literally everything is pure groove here. about 2-3 years before the Germans got on it with force trax and mille plateau.

prototype for microhouse in UK garage.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
pure synth sludge house, the mnml era did produce some deranged stuff.

this one for the extreme dubheads.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
literally literally deeptech from 93.

there's no difference between this and what datwun and continuum was repping, well, this is rawer.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
course it fucks up da bloodpressure, this is future gospel music lads. god never allows u to slouch does he.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
ironically most (mainstream) house after the 90s has the most static european teutonic trance drum programming. So this doesn't hold up.

if you wanna say chicago/new york fair but even there hip hop is far more endured.

And I'm a house fan but you're more likely to find rhythmic inflection in techno after a certain while if anything.

Bollox. Who cares about mainstream house? None of the American stuff I listen to has anything teutonic about it. I wouldn't compare hiphop like that. It's doesn't function as a dance music in the same way house or dnb does. But if you really get into it, while they're both a similar age, house is the one that's kept itself true. They both had their underground/mainstream arcs over the years but hiphop seems to have really lost its way in the last few decades. A shadow of its former self. Whereas house is still very much house.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
really enjoying the tunes on this thread so far, especially the motiivi - if house was like this more often i'd love it - not minimal or funky or soulful or boring, but heavy and propulsive.

i'll try and make a more thoughtful response to my 1st post at some stage

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
really enjoying the tunes on this thread so far, especially the motiivi - if house was like this more often i'd love it - not minimal or funky or soulful or boring, but heavy and propulsive.

i'll try and make a more thoughtful response to my 1st post at some stage

check the dirty criminals lot from chi town then.

and check traxx as a dj. exactly the vibe you're looking for.

oh and bill converse, tho he's more techno but that kind of interpollates after a while.

and of course all the dance mania/ghetto house stuff. raw and bangin.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You made a post on facebook not that long ago saying how house just keeps on going.

don't even remember the context for this. I might have said that but maybe not relative to dnb or other music genres. or if so i had a much more catholic definition of house in mind. something most UK house heads do not. I don't make a clean separation between house and techno. garage house sure, but not house and techno.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
don't even remember the context for this. I might have said that but maybe not relative to dnb or other music genres.

The jist I got was that while there's infinite crazy developments in electronic music, there's something to be said for house which has remained somewhat of a constant for all these years.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Bollox. Who cares about mainstream house? None of the American stuff I listen to has anything teutonic about it. I wouldn't compare hiphop like that. It's doesn't function as a dance music in the same way house or dnb does. But if you really get into it, while they're both a similar age, house is the one that's kept itself true. They both had their underground/mainstream arcs over the years but hiphop seems to have really lost its way in the last few decades. A shadow of its former self. Whereas house is still very much house.

I don't feel like rehashing this debate again. and mainstream trends are important. I mean Todd Terry made some of the most cutting edge early house via samplers.

I think house had lost its way to an extent when everyone started saying this is deep this is ghetto this is techno this is soulful this is minimal. it's just bloody post-disco music. I get genre categorisations are necessary but the house scene went into bloody overdrive to make their nights as boring as possible. you will not hear jack trax or acid house at a deep house night, or any ghetto house at a garage night, even though there's quite a lot of sexually suggestive garage - but we're more classier!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The jist I got was that while there's infinite crazy developments in electronic music, there's something to be said for house which has remained somewhat of a constant for all these years.

Sure I'll still stand by that. but by house i was including uk garage, some cabs stuff, acid jackin vocal etc, electroboogie etc. As in, warehouse music and its descendents.

Not that ultra smooth pad deep house which is just sasha and digweed for the cognoscenti. Ron hardy wouldn't play 8 hours of that shit lol.

ok, I get the place of that kind of music but as a set filler.