rhythm basics thread

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Rhythm from across the great river of salt called the Atlantic

It’s impossible to improve. The compression, the balance of be prepared for this ok thump & rump, is timeless to these ears. None of the rhythm work could work without its purpose & shuffle, if it was a backbeat or an ornament none of the melody or harmonics would lift either. I love the finger-thumb click snare that features in tracks like this one. And none of these words get at the qualia that underpins the thing.

From the same ep, 2 copies can get even more swing.

A state of grace.

Beats? Should probably be a track to move up a gear at this juncture, but church is church.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I don't feel like rehashing this debate again.

Me neither :)

I think house had lost its way to an extent when everyone started saying this is deep this is ghetto this is techno this is soulful this is minimal. it's just bloody post-disco music.

Totally. And it's usually journalists and consumers who care about that stuff. A lot of the makers mostly think they're just making 'house'

you will not hear jack trax or acid house at a deep house night, or any ghetto house at a garage night, even though there's quite a lot of sexually suggestive garage - but we're more classier!

You're going to the wrong parties breh. Looooads of djs (especially in the US) mix up the styles to this day. Somewhere like smartbar for eg. Lots of great djs out of there just as one small corner. It's a rich time in the scene right now if you know where to look. And part of that is probably a reaction to a few too many years of laurel resting. Just the way it goes tho innit.

Not that ultra smooth pad deep house which is just sasha and digweed for the cognoscenti. Ron hardy wouldn't play 8 hours of that shit lol.

Hardy even made some of that shit tho! And yeah if course he wouldn't play 8 hours of it. He never stuck to any 1 thing and that's why we love him but when he did play that one deep house dad pad track right after the most balls out acid which was blended with a frantic disco edit, it hit you right in the guts cos he knew how to play you like a violin. Time and place.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Have this thread and the house tracks thread have been started by people who aren’t enchanted with such sounds?

What about 7/4 time? That’s a world of possibilities.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

some prime dark jungle for patty. tense bebop riddims.

See for whatever reason, and I'm totally fine if this is just me being old or whatever, I can't seem to get anything out of Junglist shit that's made now compared to the 90s stuff that you lot post in threads like the exquisite one. Like I listen to some of those tunes now and think wow man, this is some kind of musical zenith. Technology fully harnessed and become liquid clay in the hands of gods. Jungle at its peak is one of the most transcendental musics ever. But the new stuff doesn't make me feel that same thing. Whereas with house, I find there are tracks being made now that can make me feel the same way the tracks from house's peak made me feel. I don't know if its just me or some fundamental difference about house being a simpler recipe or what. But there's something to be said for that.

Last edited:

luka

Have this thread and the house tracks thread have been started by people who aren’t enchanted with such sounds?s.

That's right. Woops also made a thread called something along the lines of house is death or house is necrosis or something. Don't try and convert us though. We like the mystery of it, just not being able to find any connection whatsoever to a music which is, for a lot of other people, akin to a religion.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
See for whatever reason, and I'm totally fine if this is just me being old or whatever, I can't seem to get anything out of Junglist shit that's made now compared to the 90s stuff that you lot post in threads like the exquisite one. Like I listen to some of those tunes now and think wow man, this is some kind of musical zenith. Technology fully harnessed and become liquid clay in the hands of gods. Jungle at its peak is one of the most transcendental musics ever. But the new stuff doesn't make me feel that same thing. Whereas with house, I find there are tracks being made now that can make me feel the same way the tracks from house's peak made me feel. I don't know if its just me or some fundamental difference about house being a simpler recipe or what. But there's something to be said for that.

Well it's just a case of the compass isn't it? that titonton mix was all old stuff, that's why it banged.

I think it's the same thing for me tho. if you recommended me a new dnb mix and a new house mix the amount of tracks would give me that feeling would roughly check out at 2-3 per every 30 tracks.

maybe this is different for me with the more harder techno-y end of things because there we're not even really talking about tracks but jackin *tools*

shoot me a mix or a playlist of new house stuff you're enjoying? no massive youtube embed though as I'm unlikely to notice.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Well it's just a case of the compass isn't it? that titonton mix was all old stuff, that's why it banged.

Most of that mix was stuff from the 2010s or 00s. Several tracks were from 2019. It did bang though. Interesting that you thought it was all old stuff.

shoot me a mix or a playlist of new house stuff you're enjoying? no massive youtube embed though as I'm unlikely to notice.

Tbh I'd be hard pressed to think of one. I haven't properly listened to any mixes this or last year. I just keep seeing tracks posted on Facebook groups or wherever. But there was that titonton one! ;p

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
the amount of tracks would give me that feeling would roughly check out at 2-3 per every 30 tracks.

That's roughly where you'd stand tune hunting generally. One of the by-products of digi formats has been the sheer volume of tripe you have to pick through, somewhere along each listening journey that can stop being fun.

I'll wang anything of substance in the thread allocated. Cranked up the Mark Hawkins mix you shared while making soup today. Well techno, well soup. Meaty spectrum of moods & chug-like selections.

Maybe after so many years of rhythm tracks, people have genuine ear fatigue bordering on anaphylaxis. Epinephrine pens are a helluva drug.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Most of that mix was stuff from the 2010s or 00s. Several tracks were from 2019. It did bang though. Interesting that you thought it was all old stuff.

Tbh I'd be hard pressed to think of one. I haven't properly listened to any mixes this or last year. I just keep seeing tracks posted on Facebook groups or wherever. But there was that titonton one! ;p

Yeah by old stuff i mean stuff that is no newer than 6-8 months.

That seems arbitrary but that's the turnover in the world of electronic music. so stuff from the 10s or the 00s is old.

I don't subscribe to this personally, but then I don't view music chronologically. there's shite dnb from 96, just there is in 2020, it's that in 20 the ratio is higher.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this then comes back to blissblogger's distinction between purists and eclecticists.

in the DJ arena i used to be the biggest champion of purism. eclecticists try and mix a psychedelic rock track into a jungle track and it flops and loses vibe.

But now i think the tech has advanced to such an extent that you can listen acousmatically almost and mix in a hardcore eclecticist style. like some of us we did with the confield crew mix. there's all sorts in there.

You can do that with vinyl of course but digital has opened up avenues to almost revolutionise the dj set. the problem is people use the tech to create pitch perfect prog house mixes.

luka

When I think of house culture in the UK I think of this

Dave Lee (born 18 June 1964) is a British DJ and house music producer, also known by the stage name Joey Negro

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Different tack - Drumming at the Edge of Magic, by Mickey Hart.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/166936.Drumming_at_the_Edge_of_Magic

Like the reviews state, it’s at its strongest when he takes anthropological routes in & around discussions. It’s a gnat’s cock’s width away from new age guff, but maintains a steady train (and line) of thought. Add newer fangled media like YouTube & you can listen between references to the artists included. Add 7/4 time as a favourite mini- segment. Ideal for lockdown.

*No bongo circles included.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
That's just one side of it, the soulful house section. But plenty of people like thirdform approved house too. I saw ghetto house hero Parris Mitchell play to a packed Soup Kitchen in Manchester a few years ago. People loved it. The thing is, really good djs can play soulful and ghetto in the same set and not be cheesy. JN is an in demand soulful house dj playing at places where its about luxury lifestyles and bottle service. But who cares? Easy target.