dilbert1

I only detest Holly’s work on aesthetic grounds, she’s clearly earned all the success and serious attention coming her way. My comment was less that she should be excluded from the book, and more about how much in my eyes her name stands out against the rest of the roster, being the most conceptronic of the lot. She has my “respect,” sure, but not my admiration.

maxi

If you talk to someone in the flesh - especially if they are intoxicated - they are more likely to say something unguarded and revealing. And the quotes have a better feel, it sounds like a human being speaking.
have you ever considered doing a joe rogan-style video podcast interviewing only musicians? could probably make a killing in the music podcast game

blissblogger

have you ever considered doing a joe rogan-style video podcast interviewing only musicians? could probably make a killing in the music podcast game

I haven't really. I am probably better at doing an interview and then writing it up to make both participants seem hyper-articulate and eloquent.

Mind you I have done live on-stage things where I'm interlocutor to someone who has a book out and it's gone pretty well, so maybe.

But I think the era of music podcasts making a killing is gone now - if it ever existed. What people seem to want is controversial political opinions.

maxi

But im thinking with his experience, rep and skills blissblogger could firstly get some high profile guests, say Goldie or Morrissey or Eno, and then also get great conversations out of them. Which is all a podcast needs isnt it? Legendary artists have the best stories. Alongside controversial political opinions .. and its a booming market. Job done?

I guess I've been thinking about podcasts in general seeming like such an easy way to make a ton of money now if you have any kind of platform and do it well.

Hearing about standup comedians making more from their podcasts than from their actual day jobs, so they dont even aspire to get tv shows/sitcoms anymore like they used to, and sometimes even stop doing standup. ..It's not that good for the arts really.

But for some reason people just want to hear other people talk. A lot of people seem to be almost dependent on podcasts now and listen to them virtually 24/7. Cooking, house chores, sleeping. Its a bit crazy.

maxi

It goes hand in hand with smartphone addiction I guess. And probably ramped up due to covid isolation and working from home

maxi

Anyway here's an idea for episode 1: Jason Schwartzman. He's already a fan!

And the podcast could be called "Warm Bath with Simon Reynolds"

shakahislop

But im thinking with his experience, rep and skills blissblogger could firstly get some high profile guests, say Goldie or Morrissey or Eno, and then also get great conversations out of them. Which is all a podcast needs isnt it? Legendary artists have the best stories. Alongside controversial political opinions .. and its a booming market. Job done?
it would be great but i think blissblogger should use his connections to line up all the guests and then without any advance warning they should all be interviewed by thirdform in full attack mode

0bleak

i want to do one about people with NVLD, autism etc that regularly fucked up and made a fool of ourselves (well, I can't speak for others, but for me at least).
I'm going to call it The Codpast.

maxi

Actually there is a music podcast I've heard but its not that popular.

It's called Rap Rankings and their goal is to rank every rap album ever made with a complex formula. They go through and rate every track of an album and discuss every aspect of the beat, lyrics, background, even mixdown, everything.

Its forensic but also with loads of long unedited digressions. So the episodes are sometimes about 10 hours long. Literally I think the Cuban Linx one was about 12 hours. Extreme podcasting.

Its insane but I dont think ive ever encountered such detailed analysis of music before, especially in terms of the actual sound of the music rather than just background/social context like a pitchfork review. The two hosts are also former/failed rappers themselves. Its decent.

Actually there is a music podcast I've heard but its not that popular.

It's called Rap Rankings and their goal is to rank every rap album ever made with a complex formula. They go through and rate every track of an album and discuss every aspect of the beat, lyrics, background, even mixdown, everything.

Its forensic but also with loads of long unedited digressions. So the episodes are sometimes about 10 hours long. Literally I think the Cuban Linx one was about 12 hours. Extreme podcasting.

Its insane but I dont think ive ever encountered such detailed analysis of music before, especially in terms of the actual sound of the music rather than just background/social context like a pitchfork review. The two hosts are also former/failed rappers themselves. Its decent.

Nearly 9 hours on Boy in Da Corner!