xtra urban

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's nice to imagine they're having a lads week at Khaled's mansion, all the responsible adults are away, and this is Khaled's ironing-work—and that's why he looks so proud.

entertainment

Well is it then the feeling of pop dystopia advancing? The dispiriting realization that some of these artists obviously have the talent (and if not, then dexterity) to create something on their own terms, but don't - and not because singular artistry doesn't carry the clout of mainstream appeal, but because that basic intrinsic motivations of creative expression are being excavated.

The feeling that doing something 'outside' of the laid out rules is totally futile and pointless.

luka

Well is it then the feeling of pop dystopia advancing?

what is 'it'? are you asking me why dont i like it? but ok, i dont think id express it in those terms but that is one of the things im talking about. what are the forces which make the music we hear sound the way it does.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luke got through to me the other day about this, about how music - while omnipresent (there's more of it than ever before) - might seem less vitally important to people in general than it did before, when it required more engagement to listen to/make.

I think the omnipresence of the internet is important - and it makes me think about how people make 'content' for YouTube in a particular style. And how music is now presumably more 'targeted' than ever via platforms like Spotify.

entertainment

Well is it then the feeling of pop dystopia advancing?

what is 'it'? are you asking me why dont i like it? but ok, i dont think id express it in those terms but that is one of the things im talking about. what are the forces which make the music we hear sound the way it does.

Yes i'm trying to undestand why you hate it, probing your mind for the underlying reasons.

entertainment

Luke got through to me the other day about this, about how music - while omnipresent (there's more of it than ever before) - might seem less vitally important to people in general than it did before, when it required more engagement to listen to/make.

I think the omnipresence of the internet is important - and it makes me think about how people make 'content' for YouTube in a particular style. And how music is now presumably more 'targeted' than ever via platforms like Spotify.

To a lot of people, all music is ambient now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also, there's less space for music to grow/exist outside of the matrix of online music platforms. When you become a musician you're almost instantly going to be putting your music out on youtube/bandcamp/spotify etc. and that shapes what you make. As opposed to before where you might be making stuff assuming it would only get heard on your local pirate radio station or whatever.

It's not completely different (people always make music for other people), but it's definitely different. And ties into the 'globalism' alluded to above.

entertainment

not if it was about aesthetics, but I felt you were getting to something else, about what the music said about some more general state of things

entertainment

As I mentioned earlier, I think of it as pop like pop has always been. But I don't know about the infrastructure behind the phenomenon and you did, I think.

My reaction wasn't really based on making those unconscious connections about what the popularity of this music tells us about the state of things.

I could only make aesthetic judgements, nothing about it's embeddedness in broader cultural evolution.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder how many white shirts Khaled gets through — I would imagine he's quite a big fan of chocolate ice cream, for example.

luka

entertainment can you tell corpsey to stop playing the class clown and start making the serious contributions we all know he is capable of please

That's a real shame about the wiley dancehall album. I remember loving a load of things on his IG stories last year but didn't realise they were upcoming. any other links version?

entertainment

Corpsey might have been using your time away as an occasion try on some different hats in the forum. I will not discourage that.