Resistance is Futile.

luka

the collective is in a composting squat in 80s stoke newington. the compound is in guyana and is secretly funded by the CIA

entertainment

even though we might all just be an aggregate of disparate memories, ideas, beliefs, experiences, there's still only one of us

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lots of us have pointed out how everyone on dissensus is the same person

I think this is more true because we're all on here. The form, and the community, filters out elements of everybody's personality.

I'm a totally different person offline. I'm a wildly confident, strident dictator of people and concepts. I call people "meat matter" to their faces, and savour their convulsions.

I got bored about one sentence into that last paragraph, is it obvious?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I’m now thinking about the rebel icon as a means of control, there’s that idea that conspiracy theories are propagated as an effective way to squander rebellious energy on a load of mystical bullshit, energy that otherwise might go about understanding and overthrowing complex systems of oppression. A lot of this energy spins around the focal point of hero and villain stories, evil men, great men of history etc. It’s a sticky and simple form of morality, very effective, we see it play out in scapegoating, identity politics, and how people think about racism
Great points here - would you say this is generally the same kind of control tactics as, say, championing certain film/television franchises/series that have some kind of revolutionary/pseudo-marxist tone or message, all in the interest of siphoning the energy from the masses - energy that would otherwise, as you say, be geared toward a (more informed?) revolutionary trajectory?

Here is a potentially big pivoting point, largely based on an R. Buckminster Fuller quote:

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

I think a whole (new?) tactics can be unpacked from this proposition. The closest we can get to dismantling an unfavorable system is to develop improved versions of the system. If we have a set, perhaps an infinite set, of possible improved systems, there must be some subset of improved systems that are more favorable than the current model - from both the perspectives of controller and controlled. In a way, it doesn't operate according to dialectics of reform and revolution - its more proactive, rather than reactive to the "existing reality".

If we are to take Fuller's proposition as gospel, perhaps it sheds a light on the fate of the rebel: to be inevitably subsumed by that which they oppose or "fight". We seem to have viewed the rebel as a relic for a while, but we don't seem to have accepted such. Perhaps I'm generalizing though.

But this places us in an uncomfortable position, if even only as a point of departure: how can we position ourselves so as to ultimately affirm the system such as it is, in order to steer it away from unnecessary suffering? Part of the discomfort: what kind of suffering is necessary? Must this compromise be made? If we do not make it, are we necessarily relegated back to the position of the petty rebel?

The axioms that underlie this tactics:
1 - There are multiple ways/futures for a system to Objectively improve (That is, ways for capitalism to purify and become more efficient).
2 - Of this set of futures, some will result in less suffering than the "existing reality", while some will result in more.
3? - Capitalism is an essential expression of... negative entropy? Thus humans are subject to it, fated to midwife it, beyond their will.

This does require a radical affirmation of capitalism that, as far as I can tell, is anathema to any socially/politically progressive impetus with sway today.

And I want to stress the difference between this and accelerationism: Acc seems to, at essence, be geared toward overcoming capitalism by means of aligning itself with it. What I am talking about is not geared toward overcoming/dismantling capitalism, but administering its development into as bright a future as possible (not to understate the complexity of such a task).

This is also how a horseshoe swing can be engineered. A shift that is ultimately positive, coaxing the system-of-systems down the best path possible. I don't see it as a submission or a resignation, but as a reckoning, one that may invigorate certain zombie-like qualities of any progressivism bogged down by anti-capitalism.

Last edited:

entertainment

We all have inner lives. They don't have to be immutable congenital essential traits, but just because identity is performative, because we construct our selves in action don't make us not real. That's not naive romantic thinking, that's genuinely the experience of living we have.

Identity on the internet, even on Dissensus where we know each other, is extremely unstable. There is no silence. You're only there when you assert yourself. Maybe this internet algorithm thinking leaps out and attaches itself on us offline. That's when we need to go out and call our mum and look at the sunset and talk about memories.

entertainment

This sort of thinking: can you change how you think of your dissensus identity without posting and seeing others react and internalising the general perception. No, this is the feedback loop of online identity construction. It's imperative that this logic stays online.

luka

This sort of thinking: can you change how you think of your dissensus identity without posting and seeing others react and internalising the general perception. No, this is the feedback loop of online identity construction. It's imperative that this logic stays online.

i didnt follow this but it sounds like its maybe interesting. like a battle call. what does it mean?

luka

i dont have an inner life. thats what my bad trip told me. the end of inner and outer.

luka

i wrote a brilliant poem about it. i sent it to someone who happened to be having a psychotic episode as they read it and they said it completely encapsulated what they were going through and made things much worse and scarier. i was really happy about that. i felt a rubicon had been crossed in human development.

luka

how we have to stop an internet logic of identity crossing over into the rest of our lives