Resistance is Futile.

luka

i think i am able to present my 'inner life' with less distortion here than i could in a pub

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The fact that IRL is as popularly crystalized a phrase as it is - the fact that "real" offline life needs to be specified in the first place - goes to show the reality of online life, in a way.

luka

We were about to crack this last night until luka went off in a huff.

body image is talked about more and v noticeable, the speed and intensity of it, but the upgrades and amplifications, distortions are happening with our beliefs and personality too

what was i in a huff about? i thought i just had a hot date?

luka

The fact that IRL is as popularly crystalized a phrase as it is - the fact that "real" offline life needs to be specified in the first place - goes to show the reality of online life, in a way.

one of the things i think it has done to me is reduce the different friends-different me effect

luka

i think becasue different friendshup groups consume the same internet me it actually reduces the discrepancies. i can be more 'myself' as a result, whoever i happen to be with

constant escape

winter withered, warm
im not convinced we do get a lower resolution image even. i think there are things which are necessarily left out (physicality basically) but that allows other aspects to come into greater focus
Do you think much of the shorthand/language that is unavailable offline is more potent, in some way? Might it allow us to pack more information per communicative effort? Not sure how it would be quantized - but yeah, potency.

re: different friends-different me
That's an interesting point, I totally hadn't considered it. Maybe because one has a harder time siloing their different faces online, seeing as it is, to some extent, accessible to all friends.

luka

Do you think much of the shorthand/language that is unavailable offline is more potent, in some way? Might it allow us to pack more information per communicative effort? Not sure how it would be quantized - but yeah, potency.

yes, potency but also just much more information. youre gathering data from everything theyre body is doing, everything their voice is doing etc

luka

shiels coax corpse into saying something clever. hes a straight a student but hes always holding back

luka

im going to meet shiels soon and give him a hug. give him an aggressive stubble kiss to try and prove im not repressed

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I'd guess the absence, online, of all that pheromonal business alone makes a huge difference, yet alone all the body language and other unconscious signals. Online, it's sort of like we, as nothing but our conscious minds, are partially independent from non-conscious processing. Unsupervised, to some extent, at the control panel. Hence any difficulty in placing someone online, or, for that matter, reading the room.