F A N T A S I E S

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i dont have a technique. should i have a technique? what do you mean by technique? i go for a piss first so i dont get distracted, then i stare out the window. i used to stare at the wall but i cahnged it to out the window.
I just meant sitting/standing, sitting in what position, what you do with your hands, etc.

I suspect much of it actually makes a physiological difference, just that these differences were understood in a more metaphysical light, millennia ago. I could be wrong though, they could have been more scientific than I'm assuming they were.

luka

I just meant sitting/standing, sitting in what position, what you do with your hands, etc.

I suspect much of it actually makes a physiological difference, just that these differences were understood in a more metaphysical light, millennia ago. I could be wrong though, they could have been more scientific than I'm assuming they were.
im not very good at sitting cross legged but it seems like the done thing so thats what i do and i rest my hands on my thighs. i try and look the part as best i can.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
What role do your ideas about being a man, gender play in shaping how you channel all this energy?
Actually I think I can answer this. It seems like most of my energy is directed at expanding my bandwidth of consciousness, being able to "see" and understand more of the universe in an effortlessly lucid fashion (as opposed to artificially bearing extensive conceptual frameworks in mind at all times, which is still a habit I'm moving out of).

Because the lucidity I have in mind is blistering and alien, it seems to be a perfect outlet for channeling a virtually infinite amount of energy.

woops

is not like other people
something that is worth thinking about is how a kind pop buddhism has become the de facto religion of the capitalist west and as such we inherit a whole range of assumptions, which we don't examine closely enough and one of those assumptions is that fantasy should be bansihed
outstanding post

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah like there’s toxic masculinity and then there’s you. So you’re like therapeutic masculinity?
I've always been against externalizing my frustration, taking it out on others, a sort of meekness maybe. The internalization I think can feed neurosis, but it also makes easier to be around generally (aside from how neurosis can make you aloof in some ways).

And then theres more of a deliberate handling of mental state using energy as a metaphor, calming yourself etc. And because I genuinely believe that ataraxia is a better state of mind than happiness, it makes the happiness/unhappiness oscillation an easier dynamic to see through and move beyond. Not sure if that answers the questiion though.

But in general I'd say this approach is more therapeutic, but the danger is internalizing too much without having any way to process it.

i dont have a technique. should i have a technique? what do you mean by technique? i go for a piss first so i dont get distracted, then i stare out the window. i used to stare at the wall but i changed it to out the window.
Personally I view all of the fancier stuff, apps and mantras as redundant. Close your eyes and breath really slowly into diaphragm, exhale slowly. Think about doing this right. Your mind wanders, come back to thinking about breathing. Fail and repeat

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
im not very good at sitting cross legged but it seems like the done thing so thats what i do and i rest my hands on my thighs. i try and look the part as best i can.
Yeah my legs fall asleep when I'm sitting, even in easy pose. The actual foot-on-leg position, padmasana I think, just hurts too much, but maybe thats just because I don't stretch enough.

I'm able to last longer standing than sitting, because my legs don't fall asleep.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Personally I view all of the fancier stuff, apps and mantras as redundant. Close your eyes and breath really slowly into diaphragm, exhale slowly. Think about doing this right. Your mind wanders, come back to thinking about breathing. Fail and repeat
Yeah I'd also say avoid the apps and gimmicks, unless you have a tough time getting in the habit of being still for a long time, in which case maybe the apps can be transitory.

woops

is not like other people
I’d say everyone on this forum has they ‘you are a genius mate’ fantasy. For this reason I text luke the other day because I’m a good friend saying luke I think you are a genius (I do) and he said he cried after reading it because it was exactly what he needed in that moment
if you don't do this once in a while luke will get bored and stop being you're mate

woops

is not like other people
seriously though i know you know that body scan technique luke coz you've mentioned it on here. also you can do walking meditation which is walking.

woops

is not like other people
Pop buddhism as passifying capitalist psyop has been explored extensively
oops i must of missed this, too busy having f a n t a s i e s about living in a world where pacifying psyops, are not taking place.

luka

if you don't do this once in a while luke will get bored and stop being you're mate
this is very true but in my defence if you look up A Guide to Leos on the internet it will tell you its not my fault its actually astrology.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I do suspect that robust meditation is singular in terms of technique and intention. What are you trying to achieve? I feel like the corporate mindfulness is a thing because professionals and executives see mindfulness as a means to a more balanced life, and indirectly as a means to a more effective career performance.

In my case, I'm split (which may not be bad) between pursuing a nirvana-like state on one hand, and on the other hand exercising robustness of consciousness in practical terms. Really they may not be that incompatible.

Re: nirvana-like state, I see that, in more modern terms, as an extended absence of mental exertion, a sort of alleviation of a constantly stirring storm. And a particularly tough habit to break, in my case, is the tendency to try to break from streams of though, rather than letting them unwind on their own.

And being able to understand why these streams of though persist, what you may be drawn toward, I've found can be very vague and mercurial.