version

It's not just about the art. It's about pushing yourself. You get people spending hours in the gym until they're carved out of stone, but the mind remains mush.

i do dislike that kind of thing. It's trite and works on the assumption that Joyce was a mercenary with no morals and no vocation for writing.

I think the main assumption is that visionaries will respond to or use the materials available to produce the effects or worlds they see, and although a futile experiment it’s reasonable to think that Someone of Joyces abilities may not channel them into a Novel today

luka

It's not just about the art. It's about pushing yourself. You get people spending hours in the gym until they're carved out of stone, but the mind remains mush.

this thing about be the best you can be challenge yourself but its only ever about doing bicep curls. pathetic.

mvuent

Void Dweller
can we have another avant garde when a lot of great 20th century stuff still isn't widely accepted? not that art needs to be popular to be culturally important, but what about when the avant garde of 70 years ago is still too avant garde for most people? (thinking of my unpopular electroacoustic thread here for example)

version

I'm wary of it getting into that gamification thing of "reading goals" and all that self-help bollocks, but I think you can learn a lot from challenging art.

luka

I'm wary of it getting into that gamification thing of "reading goals" and all that self-help bollocks, but I think you can learn a lot from challenging art.

of course you can. that's why we won't let corpsey pretend he's some pub bore in a lemon yellow polo shirt, shorts and suede moccasins

luka

corpsey with his 1st in english and his distinction in english masters degree pretending to be pub man

There’s a really nice pair of suede mocassins
That I love at the minute but they’re £425 and who the fuck would ever spend that an shoes

version

Some of the alt-right lot are into that whole warrior-philosopher thing and go on about bodybuilding and reading Marcus Aurelius etc. A good idea corrupted by their horrible ideology.

luka

thing is you actually could afford that without it really hurting. BUT, you would spill beer and kebab grease on them a week later and that would actually cause pain and remorse

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@shiels the avant garde

Yeah, I do. I think we're floundering partly due to a lack of serious thought and engagement with anything challenging.

Right yeah. The thing is, like everything else, there's a gentrification process gone on in art/music et al where you have Kanye West trying to hang out with Alejandro Jodorowski and make far out sneakers. I would love to discover some art circumventing or at least trying to circumvent this but it's hard, because you know what's going on in his head. How can he attach himself to anything that represents something respectable art-wise. Which makes him the genius that everyone keeps telling him he is. Singling out Kanye here because he exemplifies this all pretty perfectly.

Avant garde should stand against all that stuff, right?

luka

i have actually explained what the next step is and you all agreed with me and said that's quite right luka.
reunite psychedlia with the avant garde

mvuent

Void Dweller
can we have another avant garde when a lot of great 20th century stuff still isn't widely accepted? not that art needs to be popular to be culturally important, but what about when the avant garde of 70 years ago is still too avant garde for most people? (thinking of my unpopular electroacoustic thread here for example)
in other words, can you expect much advancement if the following generations haven't caught up to the previous ones? would science have advanced if most people were taught that newton was basically a con artist, and that f=ma was "the emperor's new clothes"?